Vaccine

Deejay8

Site Supporter
Well I was in Cohort 6 due to my asthma, and then yesterday thrown out into Cohort 9 for 55 plus, because asthma suddenly isn't a problem anymore, despite asthmatics being told to be careful for the last 11 months. And then I read that unpaid carers on Carer's Allowance are in Cohort 6, confirmed by my GP surgery, so I'm back in the current group 6 again.
The thing that annoys me is that I have to get a flu jab each year. Covid is more dangerous than flu. So surely anyone entitled to a flu jab should be a priority for the Covid jab. I got pneumonia 3 times when I was in my thirties, after catching flu and it was awfully debilitating for months each time. So I'm in no doubt that now I'm in my mid fifties, that I'd have a bad experience with Covid. But in my case, I would have just had to avoid Covid until probably the end of March. But if others in their 30s are prone to getting lung infections because of asthma combined with flu, then they are at risk of Covid. But it could be the Autumn before they get the vaccine. So I feel very angry on behalf of other asthma sufferers.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've heard of one or two who have managed to 'Jump the queue' just by being at their surgery at the right time.
Once the Phizer vaccine is taken from it's -70oc storage and allowed to warm up, it needs to be used.
LIkewise, the vials that the vaccine is stored in contains 5/6 doses, so any remaining in the vial needs to be used.

Surgeries are giving out the vaccines to anyone, of any age group at the end of the sessions rather than letting them go to waste.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Well I was in Cohort 6 due to my asthma, and then yesterday thrown out into Cohort 9 for 55 plus, because asthma suddenly isn't a problem anymore, despite asthmatics being told to be careful for the last 11 months. And then I read that unpaid carers on Carer's Allowance are in Cohort 6, confirmed by my GP surgery, so I'm back in the current group 6 again.
The thing that annoys me is that I have to get a flu jab each year. Covid is more dangerous than flu. So surely anyone entitled to a flu jab should be a priority for the Covid jab. I got pneumonia 3 times when I was in my thirties, after catching flu and it was awfully debilitating for months each time. So I'm in no doubt that now I'm in my mid fifties, that I'd have a bad experience with Covid. But in my case, I would have just had to avoid Covid until probably the end of March. But if others in their 30s are prone to getting lung infections because of asthma combined with flu, then they are at risk of Covid. But it could be the Autumn before they get the vaccine. So I feel very angry on behalf of other asthma sufferers.
It's not a perfect system. At the outset of the pandemic there was anecdotal evidence that Asthma suffers were more likely to have complications - but I think that's been refined now to those more serious cases that take tablets (rather than inhalers), which may explain why not all asthma suffers have been prioritized.

Wherever they draw the line in these instances, there are always some people who fall just on the wrong side of the line. I think in these cases we just have to make the best of the hand we have been dealt. Every day more people get vaccinated, and in a few weeks time mostly develop an immunity response which helps to protect them and (to a lesser degree) those around them - just wait your time and be careful in the mean time. We have turned the corner with Covid, but we still have some way to go.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
It's not a perfect system. At the outset of the pandemic there was anecdotal evidence that Asthma suffers were more likely to have complications - but I think that's been refined now to those more serious cases that take tablets (rather than inhalers), which may explain why not all asthma suffers have been prioritized.

Wherever they draw the line in these instances, there are always some people who fall just on the wrong side of the line. I think in these cases we just have to make the best of the hand we have been dealt. Every day more people get vaccinated, and in a few weeks time mostly develop an immunity response which helps to protect them and (to a lesser degree) those around them - just wait your time and be careful in the mean time. We have turned the corner with Covid, but we still have some way to go.
For me it's not a problem waiting my time. As a carer, I am in the current cohort so should be vaccinated soon. And my age means that I would still have been vaccinated by the end of April anyway. The reason I'm angry is a whole load of people were led to believe that they were at risk, they have been extra careful, often very fearful, and they were led to believe that they were in Cohort 6. And they only found out that they weren't due to a change announced on the day Cohort 6 was declared ready to be called. So we could have a fit as a fiddle 49 year old getting vaccinated ahead of a 25 year old who has to use inhalers to stay healthy. Also asthmatics who don't take oral steroids are now not expected to die of Covid, so they are removed from the priority list altogether , but they are still at a much higher risk of being very ill, and also much more likely to develop long Covid. It's wrong to suddenly tell people that they aren't in the group that is now due to be vaccinated on the day that they they holding out for.

emmaemma

Site Supporter
Partner had hers this morning,booked in at Wigan,10.00A.M. slot,went to start the car at 9.10 am battery flat as a fluke,quick call to taxi office,she got there at 09.45
and was jabbed right away,they said she may be ill for 3 days?
She has had the Astra Zenica,there was no 15 min recovery wait.
The 15 min recovery wait is if you are driving....I had the AZ jab and had a fever the following day plus my arm was a little sore for about 4 days. But happy days I have had it... (y)

John Step

Site Supporter
When I booked mine at a hub they asked me How do you identify as?
Bearing my real name is male!! I am over 6ft and look scruffily butch. (My wife says)

When I was booking in at one of the 4 or 5 desks I had to navigate I was asked by the assistant rather embarrassedly. Are you pregnant?

PC gone completely and utterly bonkers. Far too old to get pregnant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arch

Site Supporter
My missus gets hers tomorrow at 9 minutes past 3pm sharp. Can't begin to tell you how relieved I am she's receiving it. I've been worried about her catching Covid since the start of the pandemic as her health isn't the best. Brought a tear to my eye when she told me. :cry:

Big softee..........

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
One the news tonight that another 1.7m people are to be reclassified as 'extremely vulnerable' due to their risk factors. Not necessarily on health or age but type of housing, social needs, vulnerability, etc.

I think it's a good thing as the more that get vaccinated the more the cohorts will need fine-tuning, I'm just hoping that it doesn't become influenced by race definitions and ethnicity otherwise I feel tensions will go off the scale.
As in all similar situations, the more that receive the more demanding those still waiting become, it's a fact of life, look at sales and stadium queues as a very much smaller scale, when people start being allowed in, the ones still waiting in line start to push forwards and then it develops into a surge.

62tucker

Site Supporter
One the news tonight that another 1.7m people are to be reclassified as 'extremely vulnerable' due to their risk factors. Not necessarily on health or age but type of housing, social needs, vulnerability, etc.

I think it's a good thing as the more that get vaccinated the more the cohorts will need fine-tuning, I'm just hoping that it doesn't become influenced by race definitions and ethnicity otherwise I feel tensions will go off the scale.
As in all similar situations, the more that receive the more demanding those still waiting become, it's a fact of life, look at sales and stadium queues as a very much smaller scale, when people start being allowed in, the ones still waiting in line start to push forwards and then it develops into a surge.
It’s on the list.

About 1.7m people are being added to the list, bringing the total to about 4m. These people will soon get a letter from the NHS explaining why they are being advised to shield.
A combination of factors can contribute to a person's risk - those taken into consideration include:
  • age (older being higher risk)
  • ethnicity
  • deprivation (according to postcode)
  • weight (body mass index)
  • underlying health issues
  • prescribed medications

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter

My wife is a chronic asthmatic, she has been hospitalised numerous times and is on the most vulnerable list. We both had our Pfizer jabs at the same time, they had to check my warfarin levels were within range before my jab, and for some reason checked the levels of steroids she was on.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Mine’s booked for next Thursday and I think it’s because I’m Asthmatic. I also have diabetes and I am pretty overweight so they may be taking those factors into consideration.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
Mine’s booked for next Thursday and I think it’s because I’m Asthmatic. I also have diabetes and I am pretty overweight so they may be taking those factors into consideration.
It will be the diabetes, which is a proven risk factor for Covid. If you have to take steroid tablets or have been hospitalised because of your asthma in recent years, then that is also a reason, but asthmatics that control their symptoms with inhalers alone,which is about three quarters of sufferers, aren't included as being at risk anymore.

cobbles

I see that they are starting to test the vaccine on kids, who puts their kids up for trailing new drugs would you?

Deejay8

Site Supporter
My wife is a chronic asthmatic, she has been hospitalised numerous times and is on the most vulnerable list. We both had our Pfizer jabs at the same time, they had to check my warfarin levels were within range before my jab, and for some reason checked the levels of steroids she was on.
They would have checked her steroid levels, because they can suppress the immune system, and so they need to make sure that the vaccine is safe to use on her. And it was obviously ok, so good news.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I see that they are starting to test the vaccine on kids, who puts their kids up for trailing new drugs would you?
The vaccine is proven to be safe, and age won't make a difference to that. The testing isn't to look at the safety of the vaccine, but it's results in creating an immune response. At some point medication for children, has to be tested on children. But they test vigorously on adults first, so they are confident that the children will be safe. If they hadn't tested vaccines on children, Polio would still be a major problem.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
new drug? what on earth? and its not testing, you mean that they are starting to give the vaccine to children

62tucker

Site Supporter
9 weeks 5 days after her 1st injection Daughter no 2 getting her 2nd jab. Edit. 4th March.
Can’t believe she’s not giving it up for her Dad😜

Last edited:

H T B

Site Supporter
Got a text earlier from our Health centre, inviting me to book in for a jab.
I'm 61, but a full time carer for my wife.

Booked in for next Wednesday [24/2/21] at Melton sports village.

Well chuffed :)