Using the same pole floats for all my fishing.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Just recently I've been thinking about floats, Pole floats specifically and how much what you're about to read is effecting my efficiency and catch rate when fishing.

A lot of people I know have specific floats for specific venues, weather conditions, pegs, how close, how far and where they're fishing. Being a real traditionalist, And more importantly minimalistic person, I have only used 2 lots of pole floats which have covered all my fishing for the past year and a half since I started up fishing again, However when I used to fish as a kid I remember doing the same thing; Infact upon checking my old fishing box which got buried beneath overgrown greenery which I uncovered a few weeks ago I actually found one of my old pole floats which covered all of my margin fishing on commercials ; Tubertini Pro Carp 3.

Before I fished out this old float though, I'd long forgotten the name and the Drennan Margin Crystals had replaced them. This is now my core Margin fishing float, As well as being the float which I usually fish shallow with which I do very rarely. Obviously I change up the sizes accordingly for both the venue and weather conditions.

Other than this, I somehow had a set of 'Regent' Pole floats laying around. No idea where they come from, But I had a set of those and a single 'Colmic Serie Float' which did all of my short and long pole fishing.

Well, The 'Colmic' Float tip come off, I tried repairing it with glue and it works but over the session it takes on water which makes it pretty unusable so I've retired this float a while ago. On my last session I was fishing till about 8ish and managed to stand on one of my 'Regent' floats meaning I only had two of those left. As I was putting my gear away an older fella across the lake sits there, As usual catching diddly squad. Earlier that day I asked him if he'd like some help targeting the bream in here on his next session which he agreed to. I decided I'd just give him my 2 other favourite rigs which I always target my bream on and finally purchase some new pole floats for myself. He was thankful, I came home and I ordered -

A set of each of the Drennan ; AS3, AS4 & AS5 Floats which I intend on replacing the floats I'd given away, As well as the one I broke with, As well as keeping the Drennan Crystal Margins for my Margin fishing.

So my question is; Just how important is picking the right float for the right venue on the right day?
Have I been doing it wrong all along? It's been working but could I have been more efficient if I'd have had a better range of floats?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I'm not a pole angler but for running line I don't use that many different float patterns, probably less than half those I actually have.

For waggler fishing I only use about a handful with any regularity with two of them probably coving 3/4 of the waggler fishing I do. For stick fishing again I only use about handful regularly but probably use each of them as much as each other rather than having a couple favourites like I do with the waggler. Still that's probably a dozen tops that I actually use despite probably having twice that many in my armoury.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Have a read of my blog on the subject of simplifying my pole fishing. My results prove to me that for an ordinary club angler like myself there is no need to have a million variations. Particularly for commercials. But I apply a similarly simple approach to canal fishing. My results improved after making the switch to a more simple approach.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Have a read of my blog on the subject of simplifying my pole fishing. My results prove to me that for an ordinary club angler like myself there is no need to have a million variations. Particularly for commercials. But I apply a similarly simple approach to canal fishing. My results improved after making the switch to a more simple approach.

Very good read that, Neil!

OldTaff

Site Supporter

Thanks for the link Neil - I’m looking to rebuild my pole float collection and this has put the brakes on a mad shopping session to a far more targeted one.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I know that a lot of people thrive on complexity and precision. I'm not one of them when it comes to fishing. Each to their own.

davej1981

Im trying to keep things simple in this respect. I currently only carry 2 patterns of floats in various weights and that covers everything i need atm. Planning on expanding to a further 1 or 2 patterns that I think will cover all my needs. Theres a lee kerry video on YouTube talking about pole float choice and he talks about keeping it simple and stcking to 3 or four patterns that work for you. Having come back to fishing after a 20yr break things seem to have got very complicated and choice is too much!

rudd

Site Supporter
Used the same 3 1/2 aaa drennan insert waggler since June until yesterday, due to weather changed it for a 5aaa preston insert waggler.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
my go to pole rig boxes only contain 4 patterns of floats, which cover nearly all the fishing that I do

I have 2 other boxes that contain specials for certain venues, mainly deep or very shallow rigs

its much easier using fewer patterns as you get to know how those floats react in any given circumstance