Using Groundbait

CarpCatcher86

I would hardly consider myself a groundbait expert. But my main tip would be to pick one brand and stick to it.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I tend to use Sonubaits stuff as I like the smell (I went on a Cordon Bleu cookery course years ago) and I'm sure the fish have a highly developed sense of preference for haute cuisine concoctions :) :rolleyes:

buygoodtackle

You need to think of the purpose of the groundbait - a mix for the margins and carp is very different from a winter mix for skimmers and different again for one for roach. Then there is how you are fishing- on the deck requires a different mix to one for on the drop ... You get my drift? I will use different mixes for different situations and different brands may suit one style better than another, or even a mixture of brands. Your first decision has to be what do I want to achieve by using the groundbait.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
But my main tip would be to pick one brand and stick to it.
Must say I mostly do that as there’s so many good sounding ground baits that I’d confuse myself if I used too many! Therefore I largely stick to dynamite with their frenzied hemp and silver X ranges mostly plus very occasionally swim stim.

CarpCatcher86

Must say I mostly do that as there’s so many good sounding ground baits that I’d confuse myself if I used too many! Therefore I largely stick to dynamite with their frenzied hemp and silver X ranges mostly plus very occasionally swim stim.

I have stuck with Dynamite Baits pellets, groundbait boilies etc for as long as I can remember for this very reason.
Just to try and remove a little confusion.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I, too got fed up with the vast array of groundbaits on display. Now I just make up my own using Vitalin (about £12 a sack - lasts me the summer), molasses, and corn. Always do well with it on commercials, although the bream do love it. Little do the fish know I haven't bought it from a tackle shop, so I keep that quiet.
You've told them now😱. That's your fishing bu****ed for the foreseeable.😛

CarpCatcher86

I tend to use Sonubaits stuff as I like the smell (I went on a Cordon Bleu cookery course years ago) and I'm sure the fish have a highly developed sense of preference for haute cuisine concoctions :) :rolleyes:
What does it matter if you like the smell? You are not the one eating it.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
What does it matter if you like the smell? You are not the one eating it.
Hey man, I'm trying to be a fish here (and a discriminating one!). Ever since my wife made me some onion bhajis for my river sessions (her dad was a chef at the Savoy, Hilton and elsewhere) and I caught 40+ roach and dace every session, I've been sold on the idea that fish are cultured (maybe sentient?)

Team KDB

Layers pellet and/or layers mash mixed with molasses makes a heavy and sticky mix for the margins and open water,it makes them attack the feeder more aggressively and get a 3ft twitch on the butt 😁 if the margins are around 18” use corn slop on the other margin. 👍