Using Groundbait

bris

Site Supporter
Been thinking about groundbait recently.

You walk into your local shop to a mass array of various groundbaits and to be honest it makes my head spin with all the different types, colours, for feeder, for pole, for margins, for silvers, for carp etc
Understand that different groundbait do different things like inert, active etc etc.

As someone, who for 95% of the time, fishes commercials (mostly matches and a few pleasure sessions) I’m starting to wonder if I even need groundbait in my armoury, with pellets, meat etc mostly dominating.

I’ve tried many different groundbaits and am yet to settle on one specific type. obviously if there was one outstanding type everybody would be on it!

To be honest my catch rate doesn’t seem to improve when using it and I’m at a stage where I have nearly ran out of my supply of it and thinking money could be better spent on bulk bags of pellet.

Am thinking maybe perhaps for silvers only and margins in the warmer months. I fish mainly the pole, but also the tip when required, but micros in a method/banjo seem to fare better than groundbait!

Anyway, for those who fish commercials,do you use groundbait as a main part of your attack or perhaps just for silvers/colder months? Or is it just loose feed (pellets, meat, caster etc)

Fishy Medic

I use groundbait in the margins in summer and to make paste. Otherwise pellets mostly. Out tomorrow on my local commercial to try some traditional feeder fishing with groundbait to try and catch some silvers.

Dusty

I hardly ever use groundbait in matches other than for fishing the margins. Tend to use Sonubaits F1 as I have confidence in it.

Mainly use loose feed such as pellets and meat/corn. I’ve had a lot of success fishing Micros in the margin for one bite at a time rather than dumping in large amounts of groundbait and getting loads of liners.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I rarely use groundbait on a commercial. Part of the reason being that Decoy Lakes, where my club fish regularly, allows it only in a feeder and on my favourite club lake it is banned totally. So I have got used to not using it.

If I do use it then it's home made.

Pellet and corn are my usual commercial baits.

mattnewark

When I used to fish commercials, I never used ground bait, there was no need as it was all meat/corn/pellet etc.

I did mix a bit up to fish as paste though. Green Swim stim before they made it coarser.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Been using it all winter on two commercials to good effect. Sonubaits F1 green and Black Lake mixed with micropellets in a cage feeder. Last time I went I ran out of groundbait as didn't take enough and had to buy another bag of fishery micropellets and ended up with an 80/20 mix of pellets to groundbait and didn't catch as well as when I was using mostly groundbait. The groundbait was making a nice active cloud in the clearish water and had low food content is what I think did it. I have never really used it in summer as pellets on their own seem to be effective.

corkycat

I, too got fed up with the vast array of groundbaits on display. Now I just make up my own using Vitalin (about £12 a sack - lasts me the summer), molasses, and corn. Always do well with it on commercials, although the bream do love it. Little do the fish know I haven't bought it from a tackle shop, so I keep that quiet.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
On commercials I use mostly pellets and/or corn and a method or hybrid feeder with pellets, and some fishmeal mostly. Elsewhere, I generally mix up my own for a cage feeder and prebait with a mix which usually has some Sonubaits stuff in it which the fish seem to like. I use grounbait in the margins on commercials as an experiment

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I use the shop bought stuff where I am allowed,
Had a clear out of cupboards last week of out of date spices etc, these have all gone into a container and mixed together, smells like a winter mix archie braddock would do, going to add some brown crumb and see how I go on.
Kept the sweeter smelling spices and brown sugar for a summer mix.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I use groundbait a lot in summer for shallow edge fishing for carp and F1,s .. I use a 50/50 mix of margin mix/fish meal method mix ....I mix it heavy so it drops straight to the bottom , and don’t add any particles to it, then just fish a hook bait right on top of it ... for this reason, I use quality groundbait, with pungent flavours and strong aroma....it’s got to have pulling power

Millers Thumb

Site Supporter
Groundbait seems to be like Boilies! a new flavour appears on the shelves every year (to catch the angler) can remember back in late 60s/ early 70s when van den eydene etc etc started to sell bags marked up Roach, Bream, Chubb, Tench. (still do to this day) We were once out on the bank and my mate shouted over " am tekin this groundbait back" why i replied he said "ive just caught a fu**in Perch it dunt say that on bag". Thats one reason ive always made my own.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Groundbait seems to be like Boilies! a new flavour appears on the shelves every year (to catch the angler) can remember back in late 60s/ early 70s when van den eydene etc etc started to sell bags marked up Roach, Bream, Chubb, Tench. (still do to this day) We were once out on the bank and my mate shouted over " am tekin this groundbait back" why i replied he said "ive just caught a fu**in Perch it dunt say that on bag". Thats one reason ive always made my own.
There are some brilliant groundbaits available, they’re not all a waste of money as your implying, it’s a question of finding what works for you,and gives you confidence and results..rather than just keep buying everything new on the shelf

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I am like a kid in a sweetshop when it comes to buying groundbait. It's the best part of the tackle shop imo.

Millers Thumb

Site Supporter
There are some brilliant groundbaits available, they’re not all a waste of money as your implying, it’s a question of finding what works for you,and gives you confidence and results..rather than just keep buying everything new on the shelf
Totally agree chefster, i get a lot of pleasure making my own, and saving £££s ...im a Yorkshireman. (pensioner). ;)

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I tend to use any form of bait sparingly on most lakes and commercials, as I tend to do a lot of feeder fishing where I can. I do not "try out" new stuff, but may "enhance" the existing basic mixes I regularly use which I find works for me. Either way I'll always have some breadcrumb which I'll mix in to whatever g/b I am preparing for my target species.

Godber

All gone floppy.
Site Supporter
Sonubaits F1 dark mixed either 1:1 or 2:1 with Thatchers original is my go to mix for bream and skimmers. Sonubait supercrush expander or Method/paste mix for commercials, both take loads of water to mix it heavy and inert for down the edge.

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
I use it for slop / method and down edge ( and sometimes dusting micros )
I have settled on 4 , Sonu method mix , Thachers Dark , Green and black Swimstim.
Green Swimstim, Thatchers and method mix, for down edge and method ( can be mixed over wetted as its sticky )
Method mix makes my slop ( very wet slop! )
Any for dusting
Black Swimstim for winter

TimFB

Sonubait Match Method Mix Dark or Original...can’t go wrong. A good allrounder whether on the method or cage, takes on lots of water. Tend to fish two rods...always one on straight pellets on a method, as it the killer method (!) locally, but always catch on groundbait and every now and then it is what they really want...

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Having great success with Sonubaits Supercrush Robin Red on my local with the method feeder.

For the river I stick to Sensas River with Sensas Gros Gardons or Bremes - sometimes Superblack depending on water colour. It’s something I used before I stopped fishing and still gets me fish since I returned.