Using Drennan Series 7 Carp Method on a Waggler...

Grimberian

Hi Folks,
Just a simple question really, I have Drennan Series7 Br 9-30 carp method reel that I use with my feeder rod, and it is a really lovely reel, compared my other squeeky old reel that I currently use on my Waggler rod.
The alloy spool came pre-spooled with 10lb line which is fine (maybe a little heavy for what I do, might swap it out for 8lb).
The box only really makes reference to line length and diameter for 8 and 10lb line, is there any reason I can't spool up the composite reel with 4lb line and use it with the waggler?
Cheers
P.

lp1886

Site Supporter
Absolutely no reason why you can’t. It may be a bit heavier than most reels, but it would still do the job ??

Total

Site Supporter
No reason whatsoever, you enjoy using the reel and why not enhance that enjoyment further? (y)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
No problem at all on the line front. The reel itself will be a bit heavy for a float rod though from what I recall of it.

Grimberian

Thanks guys, good to know.
I have been looking at the Maxima Chameleon stuff, so will get a spool of that and see how it goes (y)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Good choice on the maxima. I have the series 7 float reel and across the 3 spools have 3lb maxima, 4lb maxima and 3.2lb drennan float fish and I prefer the maxima personally.

Grimberian

Sorry, one more, I assume it will take the same 100m of line as with the stronger stuff?

rudd

Site Supporter
Sorry, one more, I assume it will take the same 100m of line as with the stronger stuff?
No it wont as dia. will be smaller.
Will need backing line, easy if you have a spare spool, guess work if not.
Personally would get a 2000 or 2500 sized reel for float work.
Would recommend a shimano alivio, ebay 2nd hand about £15.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
It is a pain finding reels with shallow spools for float fishing. That’s where the series 7 float is good in that it takes about 100m of 4lb and not a lot more of 3lb. It is a pain having to put like 200m of line on deeper spooled reels.