Using bait additives...

trotter2

I've seen carp feeding on blackberries and sloes that overhung the water
Yes that's one but there not naturally in the water. But yes I take your point. Another one would be wasp grub they smell sweet,but I have not tasted one 😀👍

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Yes that's one but there not naturally in the water. But yes I take your point. Another one would be wasp grub they smell sweet,but I have not tasted one 😀👍

Wasp grub, now that takes me back a few years, as do gozzers. But if bait makers can make a liquid worm, then surely these types of additives could be made. After all, they are proven baits, and Bloodworm pellets are produced.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I've seen carp feeding on blackberries and sloes that overhung the water
I've had great bags of chub on red sweetcorn, trotting under Yew trees, chub absolutely stuffed with the yew berries.

trotter2

Anyone found any additives that work for dace and grayling. Never had much luck with anything .

Nicky Dodds

It puzzles me too, I do use liquid worm and had some decent results, but you don't see a Mashed Maggot, or a Caster Crush type additive, yet these baits attract fish.
Willy worms market a range of said liquids under their own win-win range. I've never used any of them so can't comment on their performance.

Barbel seeker

Site Supporter
I'm not generally a great fan of tackle shop additives but I do use a little hemp oil in my groundbait 6 quid or so for a large bottle at tesco but my favourite is to add a tin off liquidised tuna with a touch of garlic salt when the river is carrying a lot of floodwater , does it really work I've not a clue but rightly or wrongly my thinking is the scent leads them to the table and fish being scavengers they will eat whatever is on there the only ploblem being if the fish have all got a cold its allways a struggle

Neskin

Liquid worm has always worked for me, especially when pumping expanders. But don't tell anyone, it's a secret...shhhh. DOH!

I want to get some liquid worm for perching over the winter, can you point me in the right direction as there are a few out there.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
@Neskin

I use the Bait-Tech one, it's about £3.50(ish).
The Dynamite Baits one is around £12 - £13 but it's a 1 litre bottle and PVA friendly.

squimp

Site Supporter
It’s very much dependent on what the additive actually is.

Certain types of flavour/additive will actually repel fish if they are overloaded. If you read 1980’s carp literature when boilers/flavours were being first tested, there are examples where some baits caused fish to roll on the surface above the bait, but the fish wouldn’t eat it.

I made a bait a few years ago with a new additive in it and went straight out and fished it without testing. My mate and I caught nothing on it, and we had been the top rods on the same water the previous year (with a different bait). After 5 weeks we went and tested it on fish that we could watch (under snags on ano lake). The carp would come into the swim but wouldn’t pick the bait up !

We made another batch of the bait with 75% less of the same additive and then we caught big fish straight away......

Other flavours can be fished at very high concentrations with no detrimental effect. We used to use a particular flavour on maggots for winter chub trotting. You could affect the way the fish fed by how you applied the flavour. I used to put a big dose of flavour into the swim and then stop fishing for a sandwich and a coffee. Then I would cast out and catch a big fish first cast....

I could reel off more examples all day. Flavours etc can make a massive difference if you understand how they work and what you are trying to achieve. Some are even species specific and also temperature dependent. It can take a while to spot the patterns.......but it’s worth it.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Yes, you can use too much so it's all a question of getting it right with testing etc. The Bait-Tech liquid worm for example, if I'm pumping a batch of expanders, I've found that mixing 75% water to 25% of liquid worm works a treat on our club waters. A higher percentage of liquid worm and you'll risk a blank. I'm not saying it's going to be the same on all waters, maybe a slightly higher concentration may be required, Test it out, get the balance right and you'll produce the goods.
A word of advice if using the Strawberry additives, some are so sweet the they verge on being sour if used on their own, Dilute and test.

RiggersSW

The only additives I've ever really found that worked for me were molasses and the Van Den Eynde roach powder additive. Did also used to use the Dynamite peach for glugging hookbaits but overall never really found that my catch rates improved with anything over standard baits.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
A lot of additives are a matter of confidence... if they give you confidence and they work crack on

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Probably expectation bias, but my method mix of micros and groundbait had dried out a lot in the sun, so i squirted some mainline cell stick mix liquid in to moisten it up and started catching really well and getting more liners.

Anyone else notice any improvement with cell? If anything it smells awesome, love that creamy coconut smell :)

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
These two books are well worth reading.
15694294333053902511843869977303.jpg
I use a lot of additives and have explained many times how l do it.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Probably expectation bias, but my method mix of micros and groundbait had dried out a lot in the sun, so i squirted some mainline cell stick mix liquid in to moisten it up and started catching really well and getting more liners.

Anyone else notice any improvement with cell? If anything it smells awesome, love that creamy coconut smell :)
I've used crumbed cell boilies in my micros and caught well on it too...