Using bait additives...

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Doing my rounds yesterday on the clubs waters, I came across a chap adding additives to both groundbait and pellets. Nothing wrong with that, but it was the amount he put in. According to him, you can't put enough in (his own words). I got thinking about this and surely because of some of these additives being so concentrated, there must be a point where the bait can become unpalatable to the fish and put them off feeding. What's your thoughts?

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I use one liquid additive occasionally (no I'm not saying what, one of my few secrets). There are no instructions as to how much to use but I dilute it down considerably on the basis that fish have a great sense of "smell".

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I think that's one of the problems, no instructions on dilution rates, 2 to 1....4 to 1 etc. Like you, I use 2 or 3 additives and as a rule dilute 50/50 but using very little. This chap was pouring in direct from the bottle using a quarter of the bottle just in the ground bait. I thought this was far too much, or is it just the Yorkshire in me saying How Much?.

Paul22

Doing my rounds yesterday on the clubs waters, I came across a chap adding additives to both groundbait and pellets. Nothing wrong with that, but it was the amount he put in. According to him, you can't put enough in (his own words). I got thinking about this and surely because of some of these additives being so concentrated, there must be a point where the bait can become unpalatable to the fish and put them off feeding. What's your thoughts?
Personally I don’t hold much faith in additives but I’m not saying they don’t work........ as for overuse I think there could be a potential to over use I suppose it’s like putting two much salt on your dinner...... I’ve tried to look at ingredients at some products like scopex and work out what they are what they do and if they would or should work !!!
I think a lot of stuff out there is based on what we would like not the fish but like I say if it works for you it’s ok 👍
I also think most additives are harmless but so are groundbait and pellets until you put too much in the water then they can poison the water to a degree

Aston_fisher

Site Supporter
I've never really put much hope in additives, but occasionally use it in groundbait as I figure it won't hurt. I only really use liquid worm.

I have never done any worthwhile testing of how it affects my catch though, and I'm not a match man, so it would be hard for me to compare the results I reckon.

I think certain additives would work, in fact I have no doubt that there are some that work, but there are so many now that I feel it's a bit like throwing a dart blindfolded for somebody like myself. I would need a solid recommendation from somebody I trusted, but these secrets tend to remain closely guarded, well any that are worth their salt :D

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
i find fruity flavours do bugger all for me, had more success with cheesy garlic, meaty flavours and good ol' scopex.

Aston_fisher

Site Supporter
i find fruity flavours do bugger all for me, had more success with cheesy garlic, meaty flavours and good ol' scopex.
Come to think of it, scopex corn is one I use and it seems to work pretty well.

D

Deleted member 21081

Like most I’ve dabbled a bit with flavours and colours with little real evidence to show any grand results.

What I try to stick to now is to only use additives that will affect how my bait behaves.

For instance yesterday I had with me some hemp oil to add to paste to change its consistency. I also add this to pellets to help them sink.

In my current way of thinking flavour matters little but the way the bait is presented is huge.

Sam Vimes

Everything depends on the exact additive in question. The effectiveness of a particular additive (or bait flavour/colour) depends on the water in question. There are no definitive answers.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Liquid worm has always worked for me, especially when pumping expanders. But don't tell anyone, it's a secret...shhhh. DOH!
Excellent!
《Goes to buy some liquid worm》
I've never bothered with additives & although I don't match fish presently, I do try & fish each session like a match. I might start trying some scopex or something, as I keep reading how many people use it.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Excellent!
《Goes to buy some liquid worm》
I've never bothered with additives & although I don't match fish presently, I do try & fish each session like a match. I might start trying some scopex or something, as I keep reading how many people use it.

I also use Scopex, but it doesn't work on all waters. It doesn't work on the clubs lakes, but on a fishery a couple of miles away it works well.

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
On the specialized carp flavors they are advertised with 5 ml /a teaspoon dosage to most mixes

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Natural additives like enzymes and the such can be overdone with no problem, synthetic additives put too much in and it can be a disaster. just because it smells nice to you doesnt mean the fish will love it & vice versa, butyric acid is used as an additive, aparantly smells of puke, but carp love it.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Theres a marked difference in dosage levels between some of the groundbait and pellet flavours and carp base mix flavours
.. the base mix flavours are sooooo concentrated, that over dosing by a couple of mils renders your bait unpalatable... some need palatants for them to be effective... that said I'd err on the side of caution when using the bait syrups for pellets and groundbaits too, as I think that any flavour can be overdone

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
On the bottles of korda goo its says you cant use too much :LOL:
At £12 a bottle I would think its self regulating.

One thing that came from the Carp Bait revolution of the 1980s was that the 1000 to 1 or 2000 to 1 flavours main attraction was the base they were made on rather than the token flavour which was nothing more than a label telling the fish that this was food.

trotter2

What puzzles me is mainly with the fruit flavours which are used these days there is nothing in nature which fish feed off which is heavily fruit flavoured
And are these flavours only for the anglers.I would imagine from a fishes point something more natural like worm extracts or fish oil would be more attractive.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
It puzzles me too, I do use liquid worm and had some decent results, but you don't see a Mashed Maggot, or a Caster Crush type additive, yet these baits attract fish.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
What puzzles me is mainly with the fruit flavours which are used these days there is nothing in nature which fish feed off which is heavily fruit flavoured
And are these flavours only for the anglers.I would imagine from a fishes point something more natural like worm extracts or fish oil would be more attractive.
I've seen carp feeding on blackberries and sloes that overhung the water