Using a soft quiver tip

Maverick

Site Supporter
Seen videos where certain anglers say they are using a half ounce quiver tip. I understand their reasoning that it can help to prevent the feeder moving if a fish swims into the line etc.

Are there other advantages to using a light tip on still waters and is it as relevant on fixed rigs as it is on a running rig?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
They show bites from small fish very well... I much prefer to use as light a tip as I can where skimmers are present

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I use a half oz tip most of the time for two main reasons. Firstly, the tip will move even if a small roach plays with the bait. Secondly, you get more confident takes (on a running rig) as the fish doesn‘t initially feel resistance. It‘s analogous to using a light sensitive float.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I almost always use 1oz to 1.5 oz tips for silvers, 2oz at the most. Rarely need more than 1.5oz tips on the waters I fish and you can see a fish fart on a 1oz tip let alone bite when conditions allow so whilst I have a 0.75oz tip I’ve never had the need for it.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
I usually fish 2oz tip on a flat bottom. Will switch to 1oz if I'm fishing on a slope and cant put a bend in without moving the feeder. Will be 0.5oz soon as I get round to buying one :)

SpenBeck

Site Supporter
Always use the lightest you can get away with. When there is 'tow' on the water (strong wind) or you are on 'running' water (river) you will have to move up in size accordingly.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Two of my favourite rods are the old im8 bomb rods. One at 10’6” and the other a foot longer. The tips were half ounce and three quarters. All mine are still in one piece despite using them with small feeders rather than a bomb.
They are limited but for spotting shy biting skimmers,that would drop the bait if they felt the slightest resistance,they are great.
I don’t fish light tips nowadays but in certain situations during my matchfishing career they would see a lot of use on drains,shallow lakes,canals. Tow is always a problem but when a water is towing you,generally,don’t need to fish as fine. So they probably get most used on flat calm days.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Having looked a what were called "half ounce" tips many many times I have found that like hook sizes they are not always as accurate as you would expect so one firms half ounce can be very different to another.