Using 8ml pellet or wafters on method feeder

Sportsman

Site Supporter
I have another match on my favourite fishery on wednesday. This time carp count.
I am reliably informed that the killer method is 6 or 8 mm pellet on the method. Not a style of fishing I do a lot of, so if I may, I will ask you experienced match guys for some advice.
My plan is a pellet approach with 2-4mm pellets on the feeder. 8mm pellet or wafter on the hook
What size hook would you use?
Hooks I have are Maver Invincible CS27 wide gape carp
Hair rig or band?
I am thinking 0.16 Guru N gauge hooklength.
I am just about to tie up some hooklengths, so advice before I get it all wrong would be welcome (y)

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Personally I would not use pellets on a Method feeder. Too unreliable as regards staying on when the feeder hits the water.

I drill my 8mm pellets with a 1.8mm bit and pull a band through with a home made hook.

My go to line for hooklength is 0.17 Reflo that I asm informed is probably 0.19, 7 3/4lb BS. Hook is a 16 B911.

What size carp?

Sportsman

Site Supporter
The carp run from 3lb up to mid doubles. The lake is a 7 acre mixed fishery with some carp in it, rather than a carp commercial. When I pleasure fish it, I am after bream, tench and roach, on maggot, worm or sweetcorn, and I do hook the occasional carp, but I have a friend who fishes for the carp and he does really well on the pellet feeder or method feeder with pellets.
I would like to fish for the silvers, but someone will catch 4 or 5 carp and beat me out of sight, so this time I am going for it.

emmaemma

Site Supporter
Whatever you put in the feeder, I would be casting out regularly, to get some feed down. I wouldn't sit waiting too long for a bite....

Sportsman

Site Supporter
I have a small Spomb, the type that can be cast with an ordinary carp rod. Would that be OK to use in a match, or am I going to upset someone? :D

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
Your hook length is far to light look at 4 inch 0.19 or better still 0.21 power line hook length as you are asking for trouble on 0.16. My personal preference is a 6mm coppings pellet or 3 maggots on a size 12 Preston MCM-B hook. It's not a finesse method and I use this set up regardless of venue.

Pellet wise standard micro's come of the feeder quite easily if they aren't prepared correctly something to bear in mind if you're fishing deeper water. Don't use pellets bigger than 2.3mm and make sure you prepare them properly. If in doubt put a little groundbait in with the them to help them bind.

When you've compressed them in the mould and released them squeeze them again with your hand to make sure they're correctly compressed and don't come off the feeder on impact with the water.

There's lots of video's Tom Pickering keeps it simple, noting you don't need additives or wafters as simple pellet and maggot are more than sufficient. If you're worried about the pellets coming off drop them in a bait box full of water and see how quickly they break down and disperse. It can be quite surprising if you haven't seen it before.

Total

Site Supporter
@Sportsman .......First of all good luck in your match.....Method wise soaked 2 or 4mm dia feed carp type pellets will be fine around your method feeder. Hook size to suit bait bait, in your case size 16 to 12, hair rig with a band. I'd up your hook length to .19, better .21 dia....

Cast regularly every two to 3 minutes and time your casts. Depending how far you have to cast to get bites, catapulting 8 mm pellets over the top can be advantageous.

Personally, I'd drop the 'spomb' idea in a match unless your lake responds to it or other anglers on the day are using one and it's clear to see the fish are responding to it. Regular casting or maybe laying a bed of bait down with big cage feeder would be a more 'friendly attitude' in a match....But obviously you know your lake better that us....Be lucky....(y)

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Thanks, I,ve got a couple of big baitup cage feeders. I'll bang a few of those out first.
Weird question. When I am fishing for "proper" carp (30lb +), my favourite hook length is black Amnesia. By chance, I have some 0.20 black mono that I use as reel line when feeder fishing for bream. Has anyone tried black hook lengths on the method. The lake has a silty bed.

Total

Site Supporter
Thanks, I,ve got a couple of big baitup cage feeders. I'll bang a few of those out first.
Weird question. When I am fishing for "proper" carp (30lb +), my favourite hook length is black Amnesia. By chance, I have some 0.20 black mono that I use as reel line when feeder fishing for bream. Has anyone tried black hook lengths on the method. The lake has a silty bed.
Dave, please don't worry about incidentals....Hook length material on the method has to strong and robust and ordinary mono line would be ok....

Concentrate on fishing efficiently and try to be fairly accurate with your casting....It might be worth having a margin method chuck swim if your venue responds in such a way...This can be fed by hand or catapult (or via big cage) and give you somewhere to drop on to to give your main swim a rest...

OldTaff

Site Supporter
If it helps I always use 2mm pellets on my method feeder, Sonu Stiki method feeder pellets, although depending on water temperature I may add some groundbait to it guided by fish response.

Size 14 hook (QM1) tied to 4” of 0.19 n-gauge and I’m in business, have lost one or two but only because they’ve smashed me up on underwater snags on the way in.

Hookbait varies between 8mm Sonu wafters or 8mm pellet O’s or a bunch of 3-4 red maggots.

The comment about compressing the feeder by hand once it comes out of the mould is a really good one.