Used Car Buying

Maverick

Site Supporter
As we are fast approaching Christmas and the New year I was wondering if cars I am currently watching with a view to buying one will be cheaper come the New Year.

Technically a car that is say 2016 plate now and is only 3 years old will be looked at as a 4 year old car come the 1st of January and should be cheaper. Do dealers reduce prices at the start of January or doesn't it work that way?

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Its a bit more complex than a simple date, the car could be on a 65 plate as a left over 2014 model not registered until January 2016 or it could be on a 16 plate and registered later in 2016 so the answer is than no, dealers do not reduce prices across the board in January but may offer a better price on stock they are looking to shift.

DFL

Site Supporter
current stock and buying trends will influence pricing, go in and have a haggle, nothing to lose!

Feldy

Site Supporter
Most leases are over a 36 month period, so if you're specifically looking for that age of car there should be plenty of choice in your search as leases are over then. Good Luck in your search.

The Hitman

Site Supporter
As we are fast approaching Christmas and the New year I was wondering if cars I am currently watching with a view to buying one will be cheaper come the New Year.

Technically a car that is say 2016 plate now and is only 3 years old will be looked at as a 4 year old car come the 1st of January and should be cheaper. Do dealers reduce prices at the start of January or doesn't it work that way?
Used cars will lose value each month, regardless, this is all dependant on auction prices, availability and the current marketplace. Franchise dealers and car supermarkets have stocking polices, this will range between 60-120 days, the longer the car is in stock, the more pressure to reduce the price will be applied . Independent used car dealers won't have stocking policies so won't be under pressure to reduce prices.
Used car market is very slow at the moment and Auction prices are reflecting that, the dealers are paying too much money for cars at the moment. The best way to buy a used car is look through Auto Trader/ Cargurus and decide on the best 3 cars, go and view then negotiate on the car you feel is the best. Auto Trader now use an algorithm that will list the best prices and reviews for the car you are after, dealers not happy, this is forcing the dealers to been keener on there pricing structure. If you need any further help send me a message. 30 years in used car and franchise dealer network, and now work with 30 used car dealers daily.

rudd

Site Supporter
Also consider if the salesmen have achived their monthly targets.
I have always looked for cars at the end of the month or after a few seeks of bad weather.
If the sales person is onto you like a shot they may need to make a quick sale!