USA vs England

Status
Not open for further replies.

swims

Does anyone know if terminal tackle is cheaper in the USA than here?I am off to America soon on holiday and was looking to buy a Fly & spinning set up but stopped myself as I would assume, given the current exchange rate of 2$ to 1, my money would go further out there. Does anyone have any experience of this?
thanks.

Don

Well its not called "rip off Britain" for nothing mate lol! I reckon you will save yourself a fair bit of cash myself, and if you want the goods taking back because they are faulty (under warranty of course) and you find yourself too busy to go,just supply me with a return ticket and I will happily do the job for you completely free of charge! ;)

Enjoy your holiday matey!

RedNeckAngling

9ft is too long
Swims, get yourself in the nearest walmart asap. Loads of stuff, cheap as chips already. Cheaper even still for you with the exchange rate. [:D][:D].

Which state are you visiting?

Sully62

Hi Swims, where abouts in the USA are you staying, if its Florida spent a lot of time there over the last 5 years there are plenty of tackle shops around and yes very cheap and they will fedex them over to the UK

midge99

When I was in the Navy if the lads were going to the state's they always brought loads of braid back, it was next to nothing over there for a big spool

swims

I'm going to Sacramento to fish Folsom lake and planning to buy a travel Fly & lure rod so I wont have any worries getting them back. I have looked on the web and located some shops which I'm sure will have what I need, I was just looking on the usual UK sites and they seem to have some good deals, especially compared to the US sites but then again, I am sure that things are cheaper in the US and I guess the quality will be better per pound spent. Ultimately, as always I guess you will get what you pay for whether it be here or in the States despite the fact that I am not familiar with the brand names in the US.

mrhaze

swims : check out any gander mountain or sports utitlity stores. they both have good fishing sections.

the majority of the gear will be lure based and you'll pickup kit much much cheaper than you can find here.

last year i picked up a shakespeare 9ft spinning rod, 10bb closed face spinning reel (with 30lb fireline braid already spooled on) and a selection of lures for the grand total of $25 - 15!!!

i hand carried the rod back on the flight with no problems and have caught numerous pike and perch on it since returning to the uk.

i shall be stocking up on lures when i get back out to the us later in the year. i shall also be going on a couple of pike trips on the lakes of minnesota...they're HUGE in there :)

have fun

Simon R

Site Supporter
Just go in Walmart, K-mart or Target - they all have three or four aisles devoted to fishing gear.
As has already been mentioned braid is dirt cheap (Fireline and Spiderwire seem to be the most popular but Gorilla braid is also good if you can get it) and lures are available for pennies!

Rapala plugs were about $5-$8 (three or four quid) and less well-known varieties half that.
Shimano reels start at about $20.
I half-filled a suitcase with gear last time I went (the other half was full of jeans[;)])

Simon

PS Walmart also do a decent selection of suitcases[;)]

perksy2007

Perksy
mate it's brilliant over there. i bought a electric outboard engine from Wal-mart and ended up saving around 150 so it is well worth it. i posted it back to my house rather than bringing it back with my luggage

perksy2007

Perksy
mate it's brilliant over there. i bought a electric outboard engine from Wal-mart and ended up saving around 150 so it is well worth it. i posted it back to my house rather than bringing it back with my luggage

jduck1979

John D
It's LOADS cheaper over there, especially with the exchange as it is at the moment... 1 = about $1.97 (See XE.com for more up to date conversion), though I've heard the fun part is getting it through customs.
For instance Cabelas (leading outdoors stuff chain of stores over there) have Shakespeare Ugly Stik Lite spinning rods listed on their site $39.99 (20.23), while the UGLY STIK Lite rods by Shakespeare UK are RRP'ed @ 48 - 60 on Shakespeare's site.

They've also got some great lures over there, which are cheaper... though not by much it would seem (about $3.89 = 1.96) particularly recommend looking at the ones by Panther-Martin + BLUE FOX, as I've had a few sent over to me from friends in the US, and they absolutely beat the cr*p out of the usual MEPPS spinners I'd used for years.

swims

Great! thanks for the advice. I can rest assured that if the Mrs. does find out, at least I can tell her how much money I've saved.....
Cheers

rockyroads

rockyroads
well funnily enough i was in the market for a decent spinning reel to match my new preston pellet rod,was advised to buy a daiwa tdr reel,bit pricey i thought,then i looked about diff forums and someone suggested giving cabelas a look found a reel really similar to what i wanted a daiwa tierra reel (have a look) really helpfull peeps as well told me how to order to avoid import tax as well and delivered to my door in 5 to ten days for 69.71 great value or what..addy is
www.cabelas.com

RedNeckAngling

9ft is too long
Ignore cabelas. You can find the same named brands at wal-marts cheaper.

Dicks Sporting Goods is good value.

I buy everything from Wal-Mart though. Honestly swims, you can't beat it for price. Also you will need an "out of state" fishing license which will cost you around $25.00. This you can get from wal-mart as well, just take your passport when you go. They require a picture ID and since you won't have a US drivers license your passport will be fine.

Wal-mart sells all the baits you will need apart from 'minnows'. However, minnows can be bought at nearly every "gas station" [:D]. The average price on these is $1.39 for a dozen.

Status
Not open for further replies.