Uploading Video Issue

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
This might be a question for @Dave or @ukzero1.

Now Microsoft have removed Movie Maker from my PC I am trying to make and upload a video to a thread here using Open Shot. Not only is using Open Shot a PITA compared to Movie Maker but twice I have tried to upload the video and twice received the "oops something went wrong" message. The video is saved in two formats, MOV and MP4, neither will upload.

Can anyone suggest what I may be doing wrong?

buygoodtackle

I still have Movie Maker on my PC Neil, are you sure it has gone and not just moved?
Mine is found "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Photo Gallery\MovieMaker.exe"

Last edited:

MarkW

Windows 10 has Windows Video Editor though I've long since moved on from Openshot and use Davinci Resolve which is far more powerful.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Neil, type Movie Maker into the search on your PC's task bar and you should see something like this.........

1622127233358.png

Then take it from there. ;)

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I still have Movie Maker on my PC Neil, are you sure it has gone and not just moved?
Mine is found "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Photo Gallery\MovieMaker.exe"
No Windows Live file under X86 Program Files.

@Peter Done a bit more research and found the Video Editor. Going to see if that works. Its a complete PITA trying to figure out a new program just when I had Movie Maker sorted.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The format might be correct but it might be the codecs that the program is using.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
The format might be correct but it might be the codecs that the program is using.
Thanks Dave, Peter and Mark. As you can see I managed it. No idea what a codec is but I guess it must be that. I'll try the Davinci next and see how I get on with that. Open Shot seems OK if fiddly but downside is you cannot record a narrative directly.

MarkW

Davinci is about a thousand times more sophisticated than Video Editor. I've been using it for over a year but it is good for my editing as I take multiple clips and sound tracks to create complex videos.
This is 20 minutes with your video: https://youtu.be/UotEwYonxB8

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Impressive, thank you. I have downloaded Davinci and will have a play with it.

Can you record sound directly or make a separate soundtrack that has to be added?

MarkW

I use Windows Voice Recorder to create an MP3 sound file then import it into Davinci. In theory you can record sound directly but it doesn't seem to put my microphone 'live' so it may be that I would need the paid-for Studio edition not the free version.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Thanks again Mark. Great explanation by an enthusiast. I'll need to bookmark the video for later reference.