Upgrading tackles advice?

Poacher Pat Felstead

Hi Everyone. I recently got back into my fishing after a long time off (work, family etc etc) I only really started back fishing after my father passed away. I struggled dealing with him passing away (another story for another time) I decided to go and find all the fishing spots that he used to take me to when I was a kid and I haven't looked back. I've been fishing pretty much once a week since with the exception of the lockdown.

I'm using all mine and my dads old tackle. Most of it is absolutely fine. I love my mitchell match, mitchell 300 and adcock stanton centre pin. My shakespeare boran mach 2 is still brilliant as is my dads old tench rod the Diawa power mesh 1 1/4lb tc. However I do need to start looking at replacing a few bits. I went to a new venue a small commercial stuffed with carp upto about 10lb this week using my old Abu excellence feeder rod. I had to purchase new universal tips as the originals are no longer available but they aren't great. So I've been looking for a new all rounder feeder rod, at home on the trent, breaming in the local gravel pit and commercial muddy pools.

My question is can anyone recommend a nice all round feeder rod? I'm looking at the drennan acrolyte or one of the guru feeders?

Second question! Is there a decent float rod that can be used for stick floating on the trent/soar and general all round waggler fishing on lakes etc? I use the boron mach 2 just for trotting, I use my old ron thmpson match 13-15ft for general waggler and the power mesh for tench and carp on the commys. Drennan do the acrolyte float rods as well and didn't know if they were an "all rounder" or not.

I know its a long post, sorry! and thanks in advance. Tight lines everyone

Poacher Pat Felstead

Your gear seems OK as is ! However DO NOT let that Adcock Stanton go without first investigating what it is worth. You could be surprised.
Yeah I'm more than happy with my existing kit. The Adcock I'll never get rid of. I have 2 1 was my dads and one my grandfathers both still run like they were new.

It's just the feeder I think im in need of upgrading. The rest I'm happy to continue with.

Cheers

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Can't really help with the feeder rod as I only feeder fish rivers so haven't really a clue what's suitable for an average Stillwater as have only done a little of it on more natural style stillwaters.

But on the float rods I can confirm that the acolyte float rods are not really allrounders. I have a couple ultras and they are out and out silvers rods. They'll handle fish up to about 4lb absolutely fine but get a bit lively on fish bigger than that and mega lively when you get near double figures. They're silvers rod perfection in my book though! With the plus I've only used one a couple times for very little time at all but whilst it feels perfect for fish like typical sized tench, chub, commie carp etc to me it feels a little excessive for silvers. That could just be because I'm used the ultras though as some swear by the plus for all sorts. Interesting you mention cadence as the CR10#1 which I also have is quite a good allrounder for me. It's not as suited for silvers as the acolyte ultra or as suited to tench, chub, carp etc as the acolyte plus but it's somewhere in between in that it's definitely a better tench, chub, commie carp rod than the ultra and feels a better silvers rod than the plus. It leans more towards the silvers than the bigger fish but still handles the latter reasonably well at least certainly isn't an out and out silvers rod like the acolyte ultras are.

John Step

Site Supporter
I am not quite sure one rod will do all those venues. I have an Acolyte 13 ft long distant feeder which is ideal/ good for general Trent fishing keeping the line high. Its Ok for the odd accidental barbel when feeder fishing for other species. Nice with 8lb line but can go 10lb. Ideal for distant pit breaming.
It would be too long and cumbersome for smaller commies.

For commies I feel a shorter rod would be more comfortable. No need to spend a fortune as there are lots on the market.
I suppose if you want just one rod it may be sensible to go for one where you are going to use it mostly.

Dicky Bird

Hi Everyone. I recently got back into my fishing after a long time off (work, family etc etc) I only really started back fishing after my father passed away. I struggled dealing with him passing away (another story for another time) I decided to go and find all the fishing spots that he used to take me to when I was a kid and I haven't looked back. I've been fishing pretty much once a week since with the exception of the lockdown.

I'm using all mine and my dads old tackle. Most of it is absolutely fine. I love my mitchell match, mitchell 300 and adcock stanton centre pin. My shakespeare boran mach 2 is still brilliant as is my dads old tench rod the Diawa power mesh 1 1/4lb tc. However I do need to start looking at replacing a few bits. I went to a new venue a small commercial stuffed with carp upto about 10lb this week using my old Abu excellence feeder rod. I had to purchase new universal tips as the originals are no longer available but they aren't great. So I've been looking for a new all rounder feeder rod, at home on the trent, breaming in the local gravel pit and commercial muddy pools.

My question is can anyone recommend a nice all round feeder rod? I'm looking at the drennan acrolyte or one of the guru feeders?

Second question! Is there a decent float rod that can be used for stick floating on the trent/soar and general all round waggler fishing on lakes etc? I use the boron mach 2 just for trotting, I use my old ron thmpson match 13-15ft for general waggler and the power mesh for tench and carp on the commys. Drennan do the acrolyte float rods as well and didn't know if they were an "all rounder" or not.

I know its a long post, sorry! and thanks in advance. Tight lines everyone
Can’t help with a feeder rod recommendation but in terms of float rod, have a look at the cadence cr10 11ft no.2. I’ve got the 12ft no.2 and 11ft no.1, both of which are great rods. I find an 11ft rod the perfect length for float fishing small commercials and the cadence no.2 is a good all-rounder, fast enough for silvers but with enough power to deal with bigger carp. They’re also supposed to be adequate for trotting, but i haven’t done any to comment on that. As said, you’ll struggle to get one great all-rounder rod, so it’s either buy a number of rods or one all-rounder with some compromises

Poacher Pat Felstead

Just to update. I bought a cadence 12ft feeder no3. Lovely rod I'm really impressed.

I'm tempted to get a cd10 reel as well. Anyone use one and would you recommend it?

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
Just to update. I bought a cadence 12ft feeder no3. Lovely rod I'm really impressed.

I'm tempted to get a cd10 reel as well. Anyone use one and would you recommend it?
Yes, I’ve got a few of the cs 10 4000 reels, they’re great for my waggler fishing, all bought when they had a deal or offer on, non at full price, for a feeder reel to go with that rod, I’d buy, a centris 520, about £135, that’s far better than the cadence, or an extremity 520, which is about £80.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
I have Cadence CS10 reels and really like them (video review on my YouTube channel). I’ve recently bought a Prestons Magnitude 420, excellent reel, other than a double handle option and colouring I think the same as Centris. Andy Findlay was using them in a recent Prestons video. Excellent clutch.

Poacher Pat Felstead

Yes, I’ve got a few of the cs 10 4000 reels, they’re great for my waggler fishing, all bought when they had a deal or offer on, non at full price, for a feeder reel to go with that rod, I’d buy, a centris 520, about £135, that’s far better than the cadence, or an extremity 520, which is about £80.
Thanks I'll take a look. Having said that it's going to be difficult to put my Mitchell 300 down.

My son has just bought himself the cs4 reels 3000 and 4000 on the buy one get one free offer so I'm quite looking forward to seeing them. Before jumping in and getting the 10s