Updated :- Your advice re fishing a "Milky Pond" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyA

Hi Maggoteers,

I could do with some advice if possible, tomorrow my 12 yr old son and I are paying our first visit to a local farmers pond which is fished only on rare occasions by the farmers son in law & a few family friends.

According to the farmers wife rumour has it that 8 years ago a couple of large Carp were "liberated" and re-homed in a pond on their land, since then they are believed to have bred, she say's they can be seen cruising the surface in the evening ,also the Yorkshire water authority have put Tench and some other type ? of fish into the pond so I'm hoping there's a bit of sport to be had.

The pond is approximatly 400 yds by 100 yds, I'm guestimating ... it may be larger (photo tomorrow), it has 4 or 5 small islands which have tall trees (usually 1 per island but some more), the islands are only 1 or 2 feet above the water level.

The water in the pond is a milky colour so I wouldn't expect there's much visibilty as far as the fish are concerned, the surface of the pond is peppered with fallen leaves and the depth is unknown to me at the moment (doesn't look to be more than a few feet).

Can anyone give me some ideas as to what might be the most effective method to fish "milky water" ?.

Many thanks

Last edited:

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Hiya Andy, tricky one, its going to be a bit of trial & error if it
does'nt get fished, fishing to any natural features as you've said islands etc, they will be patrol routes of the fish, i would tend to stick to natural baits, worms & maggots, if you feed chopped worm which will leak off the scent of the worms the fish will find it in coloured water, and fish a section of worm on the hook so it leaks off flavour you should get bites, any fish will eat worms. once you get bites you can try other baits,

if its somewhere you intend to fish often each time you go you can introduce corn, pellets, meat etc. so they get used to feeding on those baits,
hope that helps!

teepee.

AndyA

Hi Teepee,

That's a great help, Just been and got some maggots and I'm armed to the teeth with other bait just in case.

I'll update this post later on today with a few photo's ( I think I've wildly oer estimated the size of the pond [:D] )

cheers

AndyA

Hi again,
Here's a few pic's to update the thread, as I mentioned earlier this was a new venue for me and I really wasn't quite sure what sort of a day was in store.

My son David hooked this little Carp within 5 mins of his first cast, using sweetcorn on the float.

Here's a couple of pics of the pond

HUUUUGE Tench [:D]

All in all we both enjoyed our day, David finished with 2 Mirror's one caught on sweetcorn and the other caught on floating bread at the end of the day, I managed to hook 3 Mirrors (similar size to David's) and 2 very small Tench, all using sweetcorn.

Last edited:

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Andy,
Nice report and pictures,
Definatly looks a promising little pond.
Seems tailor made for a Pole approach,with all those features to fish to.[^][8D]

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

AndyA

Your right there Peter, it was tricky trying to position the float using a rod, the thought of using a pole crossed my mind on several occasions ... especially when the Carp were feeding off the surface and staying so close to the islands.

Status
Not open for further replies.