Updated ...fishing today with Surface Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyA

I've been using a surface controller for a couple of weeks now, I've tied the controller on and left about 18 inches of line to the hook and used floating bread.

This has been fairly effective but after buying a spare controller I noticed on the reverse of the packaging that the controller is shown to be free running on the line and a ledger stop is also used ( don't have any of them myself ).

I'd appreciate some info from you guys as to what's the best way to use a controller.

thanks a lot.[:D]

Last edited:

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
The main line MUST float either use braid or a good floatant on the nylon. The controller can be used either fully sliding or by the use of float stops in to a semi fixed rig, and NOT leger stops (possible tether rig). The hook length of at least three feet (1M) greased for about 3/4's of its length from the swivel/joint in the two lines. Do not use braid for the hook length its to visible to the carp. Do not strike when you see the bait taken wait till the controller moves, or the line tightens. John

chill out go fishing

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just about sums it up John,

One thing you can do is rub a candle across the line either side of the controller as this helps the line float

Dave

AndyA

That's great, but I'm a little confused as the packaging definatly says to use a ledger stop ?, If someone can clear up my confusion please ( I'm fishing tomorrow ).

Also what's the reason for greasing the line ?.

thanks again [:D]

Last edited:

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Nylon naturaly sinks greasing it makes it float. Why? if the line sinks it moves the controller and bait and prevents a comparatively tight line. Striking thru a sunken line could break your rod in the worst scenario. The only time I would use a leger stop is as a stop for the controller to prevent it slipping down to the hook. As I said DO NOT use a leger stop above the float use either float stops or a stop knot.

chill out go fishing

AndyA

Thanks for clearing up esox, off fishing now catch up later. [:)]

AndyA

Birkdale Fisheries, Terrington, York

Well this was a first, I was the first on the scene this morning as I arrived a 07.20 after my good wife dropped me off before going to work (who could ask for more [:D]).

Birkdale

Eventually finished setting up, after 2 terrible cast's of my ledger setup, the first cast resulted in a lost hooklength and the second landed on the island in the middle of the lake but luckily I managed to retrieve it complete this time.

Island

All today's fish were caught using the surface controller.

09.10, Mirror caught on floating mixer biscuit (Soy Sauce & Garlic added).

09.25, Same bait as last pic.

14.10 (ish), Had great fun trying to reel in this 8lb Common (caught on cheese flavoured polystyrene like slimming biscuit),

14.50, Dave my fishing buddy had arrived a little time ago and caught this 8.5lb Mirror caught on floating bread. (Didn't get a pic of the Bream he caught previous to this fish).

17.50, This was the last fish of the day,

Hope the last pic shows, tried to upload it 4 times ???

Well a good day was had by the both of us, although we were dissapointed with the ledgers.

cheers for now.

p.s Is it just me or do Common Carp put up more of a fight than Mirrors ?

Last edited:

matt

good report andy and some nice fish, i have also found that commons fight harder than mirrors (i don't know why this is[?])but they certainly put a bend in the rod! happy baggin mate!

You cheeky monkey!

Status
Not open for further replies.