Up-Trace?

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
Been float ledgering on stillwaters my last couple of pike outings and it's struck me that i might need an up-trace incase i get a drop off take and the pike gets my mainline in it's mouth. Last thing i want is to be bitten off and leave a pike to swallow a couple of trebles.

Now i'm thinking super heavy fluorocarbon leader like 40lbs or so, but how would one go about tying it so it goes through the rod eyes ok? My powergum stop knot i leave tag ends and that works but i suspect with a nail knot for the leader this might not work. Is there a better knot for tying a leader so it zips through the eyes?

I'm a novice piker so go easy on me :LOL:

Many thanks (y)

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
No... in short wire is best... there are plenty on the market that will do the job... Pikes teeth are bloody sharp as the scar on my thumb will testify and even 40lb fluoro will get bitten through... play safe and go with wire... you don't want to risk leaving trebles or even big singles in a fish

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Up traces are generally no more than a meter in length and tend to be used mostly with livebaits as they have a tendency to wrap around the mainline more than anything else so wire is the answer.