Up in the water shotting advise?

Rick123

Site Supporter
Two conflicting videos on You-Tube so advise requested please? You're fishing up in the water with pellets say 12''18'' do you shot down the line strung out, or have a bulk under there float for a more natural fall, and WHY the difference please guys?

MarkV

aka Tigerbay
Site Supporter
At 12 " I wouldnt have any shot down, usually.

Same at 18", usually.

But I might have something halfway and possibly move it about to see how it goes, if more bites hit etc. Might help straighten line out quicker, but also give a faster fall.

The thing is with this sort of question, there really is no absolutely right way. It's what works better on the day. Results will tell you which the fish prefer/works better on any particular day.

Not an exact science, fishing.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Two conflicting videos on You-Tube so advise requested please? You're fishing up in the water with pellets say 12''18'' do you shot down the line strung out, or have a bulk under there float for a more natural fall, and WHY the difference please guys?
Trial and error ,sometimes a bulk half way to make noise like pellets hitting the water ,if they dont like that i pull all shot under the float ,the latter mostly

Rick123

Site Supporter
I get that now guys, I'm told F1 come up in the water more often than carp.:D:D

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
a slower fall is generally better for carp .I also use a 6" hook length for carp 3" for F1

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Everything comes up in the water if you are feeding enough :LOL: Tench Bream Barbel all competing to hang themselves.
from 9 up to 18 inches none or one shot for me unless you are slapping with banded hard pellet when a mini bulk can help.
Apart from the splash the shot can have a slight steadying effect in the wind but you dont want to use more weight than you have to and certainly no more than your back shot as that is more likely to cause tangles.
When it gets deeper and you are fishing more on the drop as against just shallow it changes as you fish deeper and longer.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Been doing a lot of this lately and found that no shot down the line has been by far the best setup on my rigs - using short Drennan crystal floats at 18” depth with all bulk around the float base I can see the often very fast ly easily and respond.

Karl