Unusual bait

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
What's the most unusual bait you have tried? I've heard of strawberrys for Chub and raisins as a pellet alternative before.

mickthestick

Hod job
Site Supporter
Mate of mine used to catch carp on green lentils and another bloke used green peas and caught well , on the green lentils I watched him one day he caught a Carp then changed bait nothing for 10 minutes , changed back to lentil and bang fish on , I use giant quinona as feed and bait when pleasuring now and then and have caught well

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Mate of mine used to catch carp on green lentils and another bloke used green peas and caught well , on the green lentils I watched him one day he caught a Carp then changed bait nothing for 10 minutes , changed back to lentil and bang fish on , I use giant quinona as feed and bait when pleasuring now and then and have caught well

For some reason both of those remind me of chickpeas, not quite as exotic as lentils and quinoa though.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I've heard of strawberrys for Chub and raisins as a pellet alternative before.

Try sultanas. Cut one in half length-ways and you can twizzle it between finger and thumb gently to get it oozing. Roach and skimmers love them.

On a pellet pressured water, give baked beans a go. Drain the juices off, give them a good rinse through to get all the sauce off and put a dozen or so in as loose feed, then put one on the hook. I've had some good Bream and Ide on them. A very cheap alternative to pellet.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Seems like a good way to get around fishery pellet only rules.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Seems like a good way to get around fishery pellet only rules.

Yup, and when you consider what they cost a can, and how many you get in a can then it's worth a go. They work well on our club waters. Don't tell anyone else though, only you and me on here knows about them, it's a secret bait. ;)

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Mini marshmallows.
Sections of foam sweets, bananas, shimps and strawberries.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Been on a couple commercials where the carp have been daft enough to take winegums! Caught a fair few on bits of sausage roll as well. Not really caught any other species on anything odd though.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Yup, and when you consider what they cost a can, and how many you get in a can then it's worth a go. They work well on our club waters. Don't tell anyone else though, only you and me on here knows about them, it's a secret bait. ;)
I have some plastic baked beans Peter. Can I use them on a band on your fishery please ? ???

Fishy Medic

I fished off the beach at lowestoft many years ago. There was a birds eye factory in the area. Caught loads of whiting and cod stuffed with peas!

The Landlord

Site Supporter
On a pellet pressured water, give baked beans a go. Drain the juices off, give them a good rinse through to get all the sauce off and put a dozen or so in as loose feed, then put one on the hook. I've had some good Bream and Ide on them. A very cheap alternative to pellet.
......and if you see loads of bubbles, it's not the fish feeding, they're farting.

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
When I was a kid used to catch tench on garden peas (cooked first not raw) because my pocket money would never stretch to proper bait lol

Also caught chub on slices of banana. Tried blackberrys too but no luck on those.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Chub seem to be the ones to take almost anything, even more so than Carp. While Tench and Bream can have a taste for some delicacies.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
When I was a kid used to catch tench on garden peas (cooked first not raw) because my pocket money would never stretch to proper bait lol

Also caught chub on slices of banana. Tried blackberrys too but no luck on those.
They still work them peas do.
And so do black eyed beans.
????

Rickb

Its cherries for chub, cut in half remove the stone then hook like a whole cherrie, go mad for them on stourport and holtfleet weir