Unused items for sale?

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
It amazes me just how many people sell unused or used once tackle. These are often really expensive items. I often wonder why you would buy something and sell it again straight away. Is it because you discovered once you got it home that it was less than you expected? Maybe it is the advent of online shopping that has brought this about. Buying things that sound amazing but fail to deliver in reality. You generally have 30 days to return it if this is the case.

I bought a Maver seatbox about 10 years ago which was really nice but it weighed a ton which was a big disappointment. I think that is the only item I have resold in as new condition. I have bought many feeder rods over the years which I later resold but I did use them for a good few months first to get used to them. I’ve now settled on Garbolino rods and don’t tend to go through that process any more.

Have you ever bought anything and sold it without ever using it or only trying it once?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've got a footplate protector for a Rive seatbox for sale, I ordered the wrong part number and Bobco got it in specially so to me it wouldn't be fair to give it back to them as it was my error not theirs so why should they be out of pocket or lumbered with a part they might not be able to sell.

Some people buy on recommendation then find it's not for them, or receive as presents but too late to take back. Then you occasionally get the 'fell off the back of a lorry' item :)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Nope I’m too tight to buy something on a whim so only buy stuff I’m pretty sure I’ll use. Occasionally I buy stuff that I end up hardly using compared to what I thought but still keep them as they always have a use at some point.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I've got a footplate protector for a Rive seatbox for sale, I ordered the wrong part number and Bobco got it in specially so to me it wouldn't be fair to give it back to them as it was my error not theirs so why should they be out of pocket or lumbered with a part they might not be able to sell.

Some people buy on recommendation then find it's not for them, or receive as presents but too late to take back. Then you occasionally get the 'fell off the back of a lorry' item :)
As long as it didn't fall off the lorry in a commy car park.

bettsfan

It amazes me too, perhaps the ease of online shopping attracts people in. I am a hoarder I buy stuff and keep it, never know when it will come in handy! Especially for the larger purchases I have to try before I buy and ultimately justify to myself whether I would really put it to good use??

The Landlord

Site Supporter
If i see anyone one who needs summat and i have it but no use for it ive always let em have it. Ive done it a few times.
Same here. I put a box of stuff outside our club hut (attachments from an old box etc), posted it on the facebook page and our members helped themselves. This triggered everyone doing it & we all ended up with bits of tackle. It's now become a regular thing.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
People buy on impulse,because they believe their cheaper tackle is adequate when others quote much higher priced items,what they buy doesn't feel right or is not right for the way they want to fish.

As said if it's not for you then sell before it loses even more value.

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
I never buy Cheap gear and really the only thing ive really had get on my tits was the Diawa Tourny 500 seatbox from the first time i put it in the van them F***in clips were getting caught on and opening on everything. Lucky enough a Call to a Local tackle shop had it sorted and i walked out with a White D36 which i love.

Fred Davis

I remember buying the abu Gold max 507 such was my disappointment with the reel I gave it away, the only other piece of junk was the map hook box my mate had one of these which he used to great delight at stafford moor he loved it, I decided it was a bit of kit I needed to sort my hook lengths out as I was using the sensas boards at the time, big mistake miles to fiddley, bought it couldn't get on with it gave it away. one item that I did like was my tournament, seven drawer modulator box, however with the advent of the new range of boxes with 30 and 36 mm legs that had to go, gave that away to a mate.

squimp

Site Supporter
I bought a set of (lightly used) custom built Free Spirit carp rods a few years back. I had been looking for ages as I knew exactly what spec I wanted; finally the right set appeared. I owned them for a couple of years and never actually used them !

part of the problem was me falling out of love with carp fishing, the other problem was that they were too nice to actually use ! Or maybe that was ano excuse not to go fishing !

The good news is that when I did decide to move them on I got my money back as they really were desirable rods.......

A pal of mine (now my business partner) saw them and regrets to this day that he didnt buy them off me.

What a waste of time and effort.