Unused groundbait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panzer_Attack

Hi,

I'm new here and also new to fishing (well not fished for over 23 years [:0]). As I work nights I sometime knock p a batch of broundbait at work then go fishing when I finish the shift. I did this last night as I had the full intention of a mornings fishing before an afternoon kip. As it happens my plans changed so now have a bucket full of mixed groundbait (50% Sonubaits groundbait with 50% brown crumb, topped off with some chili hemp and other bits and bobs)which I imagine I'll have to throw away, but figured I'd ask you guys if it would be ok to use another day.
So basically my question is, can I used my groun dbait another day, or is it just fit for the bin? [?]

I'd appreciate any help you could give [:)]

Steve
Panzer Attack

Elmer Fudd

You can freeze it and it will be perfectly usable another day. Being a tight wad, I've used method mix this year that was frozen from the back end of last year and caught plenty of fish on it. Having a bucket full may mean having to freeze it in smaller amounts depending on how big your freezer is.[:T]

Last edited:

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Yep.. split it into carrier bags and freeze it.

It'll be fine for another day - let it defrost properly and check the texture, you may need to adjust it a little when you come to use it (I always try and add a little fresh to a frozen mix anyway) but otherwise all will be fine.

john weddup

Hi

homemade groundbait seems to go off very quickly espescially if you use lots of sweet additives such as molasses.

Shop bought stuff is much better as it contains lots of salt as a preservative.

I freeze all my left overs now and also my left over maggots.

regards

john

avonangler

I freeze mine no trouble at all. But always put it through a sieve or riddle once it has thawed out[:T]

lp1886

Site Supporter
topped off with some chili hemp and other bits and bobs

If it was just pure groundbait then id say yes its ok to freeze as i've done it before with no detrimental effect to its effectiveness. But if you've already added hemp seed then this will probably float after freezing it which will take fish out of the swim. You could always sieve out the hemp and then add some fresh.

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
I freeze mine and use it for prebait :)

HattMayes

I had some mixed groundbait left over last week and put it in a tub in my boot until i went again. Bad move, it bloody stinks!

greentura

Greenie
mould it in to balls and freeze it[;)] ready to throw in when you get there[:T] lasts longer on the bottom as it takes time to break down[:T]

Status
Not open for further replies.