Unpleasant bankside experience - thankfully not me

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Whilst at the lake this morning I bumped into a lad - mid twenties at a guess - I’ve met a few times who was really down and talking about packing in & selling up.

On enquiring he told me what had happened earlier in the week:

He’d gone for an early morning session at Mote Park, Maidstone, a venue he knows well and fishes on a day ticket basis, to chase down some tench on the rod and pole.

Around 10am after a couple of hours a group of 4 blokes obviously under the influence of something (alcohol and/or drugs) stopped and decided to “help” him.

They piled into the peg and started rummaging through his bait tubs throwing handfuls all over the swim and playing about with rods & pole sections right up to the point one cretin stepped on a section and smashed it.

When the lad took his phone out to call for assistance it was knocked from his hand & the screen was smashed.

Before it got any worse thankfully several Gurkhas appeared - they are always to be seen fitness training around Maidstone - and scared off the cretins. They remained until police were called and attended but the chances of anything coming of it are nil.

He now no longer feels safe fishing, constantly looking over his shoulder even at a local commie - I’ve suggested pairing up with him when I can so he can continue to fish which he said he’ll think about but I reckon he’s lost to the sport

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Not good- and that venue is one of my faves, but I'll continue to refuse to be put off by a bunch of ass wipes. I'll be going there soon myself when it re-opens. That's a point- @OldTaff I thought Mote Park Lake was closed at the moment - due to re-open next week. A shame the lad is feeling that way "non illegimiti" etc is my approach to such things. Sounds like he could do with a fishing partner as a confidence builder -and/or some helpful advice such as "mess 'em up" or words/actions to that effect

Silver fan 82

Not good mate, not good at all. There are some low life's out there. A nice gesture though to go with him. Hopefully a bit of a confidence booster for him and hopefully he won't pack in fishing.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Not good- and that venue is one of my faves, but I'll continue to refuse to be put off by a bunch of ass wipes. I'll be going there soon myself when it re-opens. That's a point- @OldTaff I thought Mote Park Lake was closed at the moment - due to re-open next week. A shame the lad is feeling that way "non illegimiti" etc is my approach to such things. Sounds like he could do with a fishing partner as a confidence builder -and/or some helpful advice such as "mess 'em up" or words/actions to that effect

Oh I didn’t know it was closed at the moment, he may have been fishing a bit naughty on the less accessible bits

Not good though even if he shouldn’t have been there, who’s to say it might not happen again when Mote Park reopens

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Oh I didn’t know it was closed at the moment, he may have been fishing a bit naughty on the less accessible bits

Not good though even if he shouldn’t have been there, who’s to say it might not happen again when Mote Park reopens
Yes MVAS closed the lake for fishing which it does regularly every year for a month to allow for spawning. Bailiffs still patrol the area during that period and the club has had problems with folk fishing without (a) membership/licence or a day ticket, and (b) as you referred to in areas where fishing is not permitted. I know that there are a number of regular repeat "offenders". The "off limit" areas are clearly identified in the club's public statement(s) websites and elsewhere. Also major work in upgrading/maintaining all the swims in Mote Park was completed last year and fishing anywhere else is as you say naughty conduct
Policing that venue is difficult for bailiffs as it is a public park that also hosts watersports events, and about a million dog and ferret exercisers, plus German Shepherds that seem to like swimming around me when I'm fishing just for a laugh :cool:

I'll be around there again soon and keep my peepers open for patrolling 'erberts with catty, maggots, and worm at the ready! Sadly I don't think that dead baits are permitted - even for the pike - There's nothing like being slapped with a wet smelly fish to dampen yer ardour as they say- a few snapping eels down yer undies might provide a healthy distraction!

Last edited:

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Yes MVAS closed the lake for fishing which it does regularly every year for a month to allow for spawning. Bailiffs still patrol the area during that period and the club has had problems with folk fishing without (a) membership/licence or a day ticket, and (b) as you referred to in areas where fishing is not permitted. I know that there are a number of regular repeat "offenders". The "off limit" areas are clearly identified in the club's public statement(s) websites and elsewhere. Also major work in upgrading/maintaining all the swims in Mote Park was completed last year and fishing anywhere else is as you say naughty conduct
Policing that venue is difficult for bailiffs as it is a public park that also hosts watersports events, and about a million dog and ferret exercisers, plus German Shepherds that seem to like swimming around me when I'm fishing just for a laugh :cool:

I'll be around there again soon and keep my peepers open for patrolling 'erberts with catty, maggots, and worm at the ready! Sadly I don't think that dead baits are permitted - even for the pike - There's nothing like being slapped with a wet smelly fish to dampen yer ardour as they say- a few snapping eels down yer undies might provide a healthy distraction!
Next time we catch up I’ll have a little word in his shell like - although after what’s happened I feel you have one less Herbert to police

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I like Mote as a Venue and rarely have any trouble there

the biggest distractions are often dogs swimming where you have set up,

the best ever distraction day was when I was fishing the Cafe bank, I had set up on a peg that was screened by bushes from most peoples view with only a thin track through nettles long grass etc to get to it

halfway through the day I heard voices etc coming from behind me and noticed a couple of youngish late teen early twenties females had spread towels on the bank and were proceeding to sunbathe topless, now Im not saying Im a perv or owt but it was hard work watching the float after that !

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Four on one - no odds I’d fancy no matter what I had with me
I was a football referee for a few years daren't stop to think about the odds - and all for a fiver- Senior/county league games at a ground with stands, toilets and floodlights could be as much as a tenner, and you had your own bath, changing room and cuppa!