Universal Top Kits

adz1189

Adam
Morning all, Has anyone any experience they can share on universal top kits? I have a Milo 577 13m which I’ve had for about 10 years now reluctant to buy new pole due to the amount of time I use it, as tend to use the rod majority of the time. My issue, I currently only have 2 top kits and would like a few more to have a wider variety of elastic strengths and rigs set up on the bank. I’ve been looking at the Sensas Universal top kits with the ready slotted hole for puller on Angling Direct. Anyone any advice on these kits or universal kits on the whole? Bit of a
novice when it comes to pole set ups etc.

Thanks in advance ?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I bought a universal match top kit for my pole (Daiwa SR1) and in all fairness it's not too bad but over 9 metres it gets overbalanced. I didn't get mine from Angling Direct though, I got mine from here (use the Search)..

adz1189

Adam
I bought a universal match top kit for my pole (Daiwa SR1) and in all fairness it's not too bad but over 9 metres it gets overbalanced. I didn't get mine from Angling Direct though, I got mine from here (use the Search)..

Thanks for that I’ll take a look! ?

tedstriker

Site Supporter
universal kits are ok to a point, depends on the length you are fishing and how much you will need to cut them back by on both ends of the kit as you might have to cut past the reinforced section and then you'll need to use the cut offs as a reinforcement

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Universal top kits ( in my opinion ) never seem as good as the originals. But, when a pole gets to a certain age and the manufacturer no longer keeps spares what are you supposed to do ? If you dont mind what the pole looks like ( and a lot of top anglers dont ) then look for a top kit off a good pole that either fits or you can cut down to fit. This will probably be a bit lighter and more responsive than a universal top kit. Im not knocking universal top kits but, like Peter says ..... Anything above 10m or so and youll definitely notice a difference. Good luck pal. ?

adz1189

Adam
Thanks for the advice on this guys I’ll have a good look into what’s available maybe have a chat with the lad in local tackle shop also see what he can source. Another idea I’ve came across this morning kind of contradicts what I’ve said about not wanting to buy a new pole, but.... I didn’t realise margin poles were a thing. Have come across the daiwa yank n bank 10m for £260. At this price i am tempted to start a fresh with an up to date pole which I could purchase the genuine top kits for.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Thanks for the advice on this guys I’ll have a good look into what’s available maybe have a chat with the lad in local tackle shop also see what he can source. Another idea I’ve came across this morning kind of contradicts what I’ve said about not wanting to buy a new pole, but.... I didn’t realise margin poles were a thing. Have come across the daiwa yank n bank 10m for £260. At this price i am tempted to start a fresh with an up to date pole which I could purchase the genuine top kits for.

Hunt around, you can get that pole cheaper with some searching. ;)

alsur

Site Supporter
I had same problem with old pole but found that it's not only diameter of top kits that vary but the taper so you really need to try top kit. I took number 4 section to a local shop that has a few top kits in store and found a top kit from more up to date pole that fitted, it was actually better than original top kit and improved pole although it was more expensive than universal kits.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I had same problem with old pole but found that it's not only diameter of top kits that vary but the taper so you really need to try top kit. I took number 4 section to a local shop that has a few top kits in store and found a top kit from more up to date pole that fitted, it was actually better than original top kit and improved pole although it was more expensive than universal kits.
Yep, that sounds familiar. My mate is still using a Shimano powerloop. Hes bought four ( Technium I think ) tops for it and he says it feels like having a new pole. I dont know how he does it, to me it weighs a ton. ?

Reg Prescott

Hunt around, you can get that pole cheaper with some searching. ;)

Angling Direct Leeds price matched this for a mate on Friday

ukzero1

Site Supporter
If he can get to Leeds at least he can have a waggle with it to see if it suits him before buying.

nico12

Grebe Grabber
I agree regarding testing kits - I've made the mistake of buying kits that were cheaper but the difference it makes to the poles is staggering in some cases. Less of an issue if you are margin fishing / short distances but feels top heavy at longer lengths.
I used to own a beastmaster 16m and FYI the cheaper Nexave pole kits / spares fit the pole and much cheaper to source.
Ive posted today in Tackle Talk - Seeking Garbo Maxim Pole Kits if anyone knows of any? alternatives?

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
alsur is correct. You should take your pole section into a shop that sells top kits and try them on. You need the taper to be correct, and tapers of Universal top kits differ.

biggsy

Site Supporter
Mates just purchased a Preston Edge Monster about £150, two power kits pre bushed and roller pulla.
Very nice piece of kit, very similar to the beastmaster.

Rick123

Site Supporter
People keep telling me you can buy a Match top kit and 3 or 4, but I can never find any that are designed for a size 12 elastic?