Unhooking Mat Table ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tag

Being rather creaky in the knee joints, which makes it difficult to get down to unhook larger fish which require the use of an unhooking mat, I'm considering buying a large bait table on which to place a mat.
I'm not talking about doubles with which I can always get assistance, but high singles that are too big to handle safely without laying them down.

The Penrose large bait table looks a possibility.
Any suggestions you older and less agile members?

I would point out that I am talking about fishing from a Carp chair rather than from a seatbox.

Last edited:

crusty

How about sitting down and putting the mat in your lap?
safer than a table, and less to carry.

crusty

Thom

what if the fish rolls off? i wouldn't say this is a good idea personally.

carpy sy

Bivvy Boy ,Beds.
Like what metal says,not a very good idea.Fish saftey always first!!!

tag

Thanks for contributions, couldn't agree more about fish care and safety,but bear in mind that I always stand up to net my fish,then,when I've put my rod down, I walk round to the side of my chair where I lay the net containing the fish on my mat where I remove the hook nearly always from the lower lip( I always use a hair rig) while gently resting one hand on the fish in case it flips. I have never yet had any 'accidents' using this procedure.
As I said, fish care is paramount,

mangrojack

you can get those mats that cloae the fish in.

or the chub one that has walls one of them of a platform would be ok i think aslong as its not a huge fish

tag

Thanks mangrojack, they 're not huge fish, but please explain a little more.

Last edited:

SlugSalter

I sometimes use one of those plastic Keenets seat boxes that has a cushion on it, set up in front of me. I don't take the fish out of the net though, I lift the net onto the box so that the fish can't wriggle off. I wouldn't use it for anything over about 3lbs though.

tag

I don't take the fish out of the net either, I find it safer that way.

chrishowe425

Originally posted by mangrojack

you can get those mats that cloae the fish in.

or the chub one that has walls one of them of a platform would be ok i think aslong as its not a huge fish

carp cots[;)]
http://www.fishingwarehouseshop.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/1343 something like that

mangrojack

thats the name i was looking for should no really having a sponsorship with greys/chub lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.