Unhooking Fish

Craig1962

Im really sorry about this because it seems a really silly question but im new to fishing (ive been fishing a couple of months now with the waggler) and im ok with a disgorger but I have trouble keeping the line tight (not too tight though) and Id really appreciate some advice if anyone has got any.
Thanks in advance

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I tend to hold the line tight between my knees when i cant get enough tention otherwise which works well enough. Its probably just a case of practice makes perfect though, well as close to perfect as you can get.

MartinWY

Site Supporter
Im really sorry about this because it seems a really silly question but im new to fishing (ive been fishing a couple of months now with the waggler) and im ok with a disgorger but I have trouble keeping the line tight (not too tight though) and Id really appreciate some advice if anyone has got any.
Thanks in advance

Absolutely not a stupid question. 99.9% of anglers would prefer you asked this rather than guess and hurt fish.

Practice by sticking the hook into a bit of sponge or cork. Assuming you're using a standard disgorger, the trick is to thread the disgorger onto the line, I choose about 4-5" from the hook, then rotate it once or twice then slide it down to the hook. In this way, you can maintain tension with the same hand you're holding the disgorger in, leaving your other hand to pacify the fish.

Thats how I do it anyhow.

If you aren't already, consider switching to barbless hooks as half the time they come out in the net without the need for a disgorger at all.

Gaz9243

Putt the rod under your leg, or back in the rod rest, then tighten the line by the position of the rod tip.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The secret is to keep a slight tension on the line with the rod when you attach the disgorger, after a bit of practice it comes as standard and you will do this without thinking about it.

sunleychops

If you’re struggling with a disgorged, try a small pair of forceps. When I first started I couldn’t get the hang of disgorges and found forceps so much easier. Still prefer using them now!

Reuben

Site Supporter
Tend to use a pair of 6" forceps mostly. I only use barbless though.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Is it just me that thinks with a Slammo type disgorger you don't even need to hold the line tight? (or as tight anyway)

MartinWY

Site Supporter
If you’re struggling with a disgorged, try a small pair of forceps. When I first started I couldn’t get the hang of disgorges and found forceps so much easier. Still prefer using them now!

The only potential issue with that is that if you're using for example a whipped hook or hair rig with a knotless knot, you probably should change the hooklength after using foreceps as it may get damaged. Just something to consider.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I wind the line round a finger. Same hand as the disgorger while holding/supporting the fish with the other.

Rod Anne Reel

If it’s a decent size, Keep the fish in the landing net and have the net between your knees while sitting down. Then gently trap the fish between your knees with it’s head facing upwards towards you, and then you have two hands free, one to put a bit of tension in the line, and the other to use the disgorger to get the hook out.

Steve88

Personally I find I can struggle just as much when the hook is just inside the lip, can't seem to grab the hook with fat thumb and finger.

D

Deleted member 24128

Net between the knees, fish in the net and with enough practice there is just enough line out when you net the fish to keep a little tension from the rod tip when the net is between your knees. If there is too much line out or not enough just adjust when the rod is in the rod rest. All it takes is a turn of the crank or a quick flick of the bail arm.

davej1981

Tutorial from members on here (not sure if carlandalex are still active) and both local to me