Underrated Groups/Bands.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
For this one i would say any band that has been around a while, have their own distinctive sound and who started with modest size venues, yet continued and still maintain modest size venue gigs. Like starsailor, agreed, a good few bands from one of the best eras for music for me late 80s into and through the 90s, such as Ocean colour scene would fall into the underrated category i feel. From that era you also had bands that had and still have cult followings, were/are fantastic musicians, but its only that cult following that appreciate or rate highly what the band did for a music scene-The Stone Roses a prime example there imo.
Someone too like Carter USM, took an element that had defined the the late 70s/early 80's-punk, then added to it the element that defined the 80s-electronic synth and you have a unique sound, again 'just' a cult following though who appreciated the genius of that fusion.

Fascinating documentary about the KLF on recently too, so many of these sorts of bands around for only a few years, some even less, but what they did for music, can see alot of them go as underrated.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Icicle Works ( latterly Ian McNabb's solo work)
Punishment of Luxury
Penetration
Maximo Park
Vaccines

squimp

Site Supporter
The Only Ones.

Magazine.

Echo and the Bunnymen/Teardrop Explodes/Wah.

Talking Heads (again).

Thomas Dolby (and he became a great producer).

Dave Edmunds and Nick Lowe (the latter ano great producer).

The Runner

Site Supporter
For summat topical, Dr Feelgood were a superb R&B outfit... sadly they didn't get the recognition they deserved... love em though... RIP Lee & Wilko...
What he said...

Anyway, two American bands, twenty years apart, who should have got far more recognition;

Dave gsx1400

I`m throwing in Marillion here - massively underrated, but they stay strong with a cult following. Forget the Fish era - todays Marillion is, put simply, an outstanding band. Certainly one of my all time favourites, and in my opinion, their breathtaking last album, `An Hour Before Its Dark`, is one of the best albums ever made. If you`re into the old Prog Rock and haven`t heard it, you really ought to. It took me ten plays of the opening track before I even got to track two!! Good quality headphones played loud :cool:.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Five top ten albums and three no,1 singles - what's your definition of over-rated? o_O

The Alarm

I bought their Change album — thought it was great.
Very under-rated but much better live in any case - I wore the grooves off Declaration back in the day

Band that I've seen live more times than I care to remember are Stiff Little Fingers
Derided by most as nowt but aging punks their more recent stuff is far more lyrically astute than they are given credit for - the most recent LP dealing with subjects as diverse as sex abuse in the Catholic church, male depression, bankers greed and political sleaze,

Sadly most of the under-rated bands I listen to have split up or ceased recording new material
Bauhaus
Sisters of Mercy
Cocteau Twins

Simon

Tristar

Site Supporter
"Mammoth" is another one, crikey those lads were huge but could hold a note. I think the lead singer came from "samson" but don't quote me.

Nicky Dodds

I`m throwing in Marillion here - massively underrated, but they stay strong with a cult following. Forget the Fish era - todays Marillion is, put simply, an outstanding band. Certainly one of my all time favourites, and in my opinion, their breathtaking last album, `An Hour Before Its Dark`, is one of the best albums ever made. If you`re into the old Prog Rock and haven`t heard it, you really ought to. It took me ten plays of the opening track before I even got to track two!! Good quality headphones played loud :cool:.
Disrespectful to say forget the fish era when it was exactly that that put them on the map in the first place.
Straight from the horses mouth....Kayleigh Dowd was named after the song.

Nicky Dodds

Icicle Works ( latterly Ian McNabb's solo work)
Punishment of Luxury
Penetration
Maximo Park
Vaccines
Funnily enough I was watching a few grainy old penetration videos yesterday. I wonder if that luminous vinyl moving targets album is worth anything?
Could never take to Pauline Murray and the invisible girls though.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Account Locked
@Dave gsx1400
"It took me ten plays of the opening track before I even got to track two!!"

I found that with some Marillion songs as well.
Minute in " nah its s**t, try again later" 🤣🤣🤣

Not really into Prog but you don't get to be playing gigs/festivals for as long as they have been if you are no good.

In the Botham era at Worcestershire CCC. when he was fit and bowling well we used to sing.
"You are the king Graham Dilley,Dilley"
Special on his day.

Last edited: