Unblocking a toilet

Philocalist

One of the 'joys' of being a bloke..... :rolleyes:

We've a partial blockage that is proving a real problem to shift - it's not the toilet itself, but on the other side of the U/S bend (I think) in the waste pipe, which is inaccessible without removing either flooring or wall panels etc.

Flush the toilet, and 99% of the time, everything vanishes, as it should, but towards the end of the flush, the bowl will start to backfill with water coming out of the cistern, as though there may be a partial blockage further along, preventing water leaving the bowl as quickly as may be expected (though it drains away quite easily within the next few seconds).

Trying to blitz it with bleach - even several litres of the stuff at a time, left overnight - did nothing, and trying to force larger volumes of water through quickly (20 - 30 litres, instantly into the bowl from a very large bucket) had no effect either.

In general terms, the toilet is usable, but I'm concerned that any partial blockage is just a ticking bomb - does anyone have any usable ways to try and clear this, without ripping up floors etc, or calling in professionals?
Thanks

Philocalist

What about trying a good old fashioned plunger with the bowl slightly overfilled?
Thats part of the problem - its only a part blockage, which means I can't build up enough pressure from this side, with a plunger or by any other means, to force the blockage to shift - it just forces its way through the open part of the pipe, bypassing the stuff causing the blockage.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
One of the 'joys' of being a bloke..... :rolleyes:

We've a partial blockage that is proving a real problem to shift - it's not the toilet itself, but on the other side of the U/S bend (I think) in the waste pipe, which is inaccessible without removing either flooring or wall panels etc.

Flush the toilet, and 99% of the time, everything vanishes, as it should, but towards the end of the flush, the bowl will start to backfill with water coming out of the cistern, as though there may be a partial blockage further along, preventing water leaving the bowl as quickly as may be expected (though it drains away quite easily within the next few seconds).

Trying to blitz it with bleach - even several litres of the stuff at a time, left overnight - did nothing, and trying to force larger volumes of water through quickly (20 - 30 litres, instantly into the bowl from a very large bucket) had no effect either.

In general terms, the toilet is usable, but I'm concerned that any partial blockage is just a ticking bomb - does anyone have any usable ways to try and clear this, without ripping up floors etc, or calling in professionals?
Thanks
I have used an old style mop ,put the mop in tightish flush ,then plunge with the mop . Or wait until its blocked and use the mop .

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Karcher (y) Get the jet wash set up and put the end as far up the U- bend and blast away.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I have used an old style mop ,put the mop in tightish flush ,then plunge with the mop . Or wait until its blocked and use the mop .
Ive also used heavy wire from old style wire coat hangers with a hook made at one end and gone fishing lol . My kids liked to put toy cars and the like down the loo

62tucker

Site Supporter
Try a hose pipe. Push as far up/down as possible and then turn on and slowly pull it out

Chervil

Site Supporter
Must admit this is why I don't begrudge paying the money we pay for our British Gas plan. It covers electrics, drains, boiler and plumbing. I reckon we more than get our money back.

But that doesn't help you. So, first take a small child...

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Old style mop as posted - flush to fill the bowl as much as possible and pump the mop vigorously to push the wayer through.

If that doesn't do it I bet if you lift a manhole cover further down you'll find it will be full and you'll need to rod the drains.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Lift the man hole outside and have a look to see . Get some to flush the toilet , you might find it’s been backing up for ages and just needs rodding.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I'm assuming the toilet is on the ground floor?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Lift the man hole outside and have a look to see . Get some to flush the toilet , you might find it’s been backing up for ages and just needs rodding.

I have this problem occasionally and have to do just that with a manhole, sorry inspection cover, just outside the back door. Don't need to rod luckily, a good jet from the hose sorts it. The warning sign is when the toilet on the ground floor backs up. I have no idea why the blockage occurs in the first place though.

mickthechippy

23/04/2008 - 25/12/2021
Staff member
Site Supporter
In Memoriam
hire some rods and rod it from the outside up,

or hire a spriral mouse and rod it from the pan down

do you use thse plastic hanging block toilet cleaners on the rim of the pan ? we had very much the same as your prob, and it turned out to be her son (as a nipper) had knocked it off and somehow flushed it round the bend, ended up having to remove the pan and stick my arm down the pipe to grab it and pull it back out

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
We had the same issue at home and despite rodding through with two sets of drain rods to get to the main sewer the blockage would re-occcur.

In the end I got in touch with the water authority and they came and purged the main sewer as that turned out to be the cause.
Effectively when the water goes down the pipe and then seems to back up at the end, it's 'bouncing' off the water already in the pipe. If you didn't have a stench pipe you'd most likely get a burp as well.
The toilet might seem okay at times the longer you leave it because the water in the pipe will seep away giving more room to re-fill.

mickthechippy

23/04/2008 - 25/12/2021
Staff member
Site Supporter
In Memoriam
Small tip as well

always have a bin in the toilet-bathroom to take wet wipes and or similar types of things

more bogs and pipes are blocked by these than near anything else and they should not be flushed