Just a word of warning

this site contains dead fish, half way down the page
entitled bowhunting for carp

what's your views?

http://www.archeryworld.com/bows/trophy/people/15.nmpl

martin.

Account Locked
hi
someome should send this to the antis it is may make them relise what cruelty is.
if it happened over here i would jion the antis

tight lines.
martin.

AlexR

here we go again, dont you see, you cannot critisise what someone else does for these reasons and then say that angling is perfectly fine and not cruel. ok, so fishing doesnt kill the fish, but it is cruel, and if you say hunting etc. is uneccessrary, well so is fishing, your just like the antis, your anti freedom of choice! it is politically correct that you should be allowed to pursue theses sports and others have no right to stop you because they dont like it. if you oppose another pursuit then you are a hypocrit. simple.

;)

Zinky

Grumpy
AlexR
You have a point, very well put.
Each to his own may of life style.

Stu

Cant drink anymore
Site Supporter
All Reet
This archery seems to be cruel, but some parts of Australia the carp are so vast in numbers they are killing all the vegitation on the rivers so being classed as vermin.Other smaller fish are being starved of natural food as insects are not laying eggs by the riverside as a result of the carp. The local authorities are letting people shoot them as sport to try and cull the numbers. This is something we could do with doing to Comorants.

Stu

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Personaly speaking,i find this to be rather distasteful.
Now before anyone gets on their high horse,In other parts of the world, noteably North America & Australia, it is an accepted part of their outdoor culture,and in many of their waters Carp have reached almost plague proportions, and are having a detrimental effect on the native fish. However Alligator Gar are,as far as i'm aware quite a slow growing and relativly rare fish.
I cannot see that it is in anyway sporting to kill such magnificent fish just for a couple of trophy shots, i'm pretty sure that most of these fish will not have been taken for the pot.
Whilst i cannot condemn anyone for following a perfectly,legitimate "sport" in their own country,i am equally sure that this sort of thing has absolutly no place on this forum.
Perhaps Newt would like to comment,as to how it is veiwed from his side of the pond.

Peter. thumbsup.gif
Happiness is a rod in your hand.

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Carp are classed as vermin in Australia and as such it is ILLEGAL to return alive any carp caught. This is due to the damage an imported species is doing to the native flora and fauna. We have similar situations here ie signal crayfish, the grey squirel and the mitten crab. It is quite acceptable for us to kill and remove the above. As much as I hate the thought of carp being killed we must bow to the laws etc., of another country.

chill out go fishing

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Peter - happy to make a couple of comments.

#1 - I don't do bow hunting for fish. Just don't see any "sport" in it. Now deer and turkeys, different story altogether. For one thing, getting close enough to them (or getting them close enough to you) is a real art form and the way I shoot, they for sure have a "sporting chance".

#2 - It does bother me that the bow folks target the largest fish they can find and have absolutely nothing good to do with them once they are shot. I generally don't like waste and this is for sure waste. A friend who fishes for carp (catch & release) in Michigan and has caught high 50s says he has seen a couple taken by the bow folks that he estimates would go into the 70s. No way to tell though since they don't care about the weights and never check.

#3 - It is a legal method over here and the people who do it seem to really enjoy themselves so I won't put any sort of knock on them.

#4 - The aligator gar has been hunted almost to extention and I really think it is past time they were protected. Not likely to happen though.

#5 - Carp over here are not highly regarded as I think many on the bbs are aware. They also breed well and we won't be facing any shortage I don't think. My favorite lake will have literally miles and miles of shallow water just boiling with spawning carp when it warms a little. And if I go after carp, I will probably be the only one on the lake who is doing so. Mostly bass, crappie (a tasty pan fish), bluegills, or catfish. And the only one likely to be released would be a bass since they are becomming a popular C&R fish over here and also the lake has some very strict size limits on them to try and protect the fishery. However, the others will be eaten so not as waste IMO.

#6 - Fishing and Hunting are seen very differently over here. For one thing, most anglers also hunt and most hunters also fish. Hunting has specific seasons for different animals so there is lots of the year when you either fish or sit home. For another, we have never had the elitist thing with fox hunting that has raised so much conversation in the UK. And at this point in time, the main hunting with dogs is for animals that will be eaten - deer, rabbits, racoons, and such.

With the conditions in the UK of not enough land, not enough fish, and way too many people wanting to go after them, I can understand some of the emotions/opinions that exist over in your part of the world. Were I there, I would likely share many of them.

I have been very happy to see that within the past several years, most UK posters with good sense have realized that it is "horses for courses" though and don't tend to condem us out of hand. I think that can be considered a big victory for the internet and for the "world community".

I know there are some on here who will just condem hunting/killing without any further thought. Some in the US as well. None of this is aimed at those folks since their minds don't seem to be especially open to either discussion or to facts that don't fit in with their way of thinking.

For the rest of you, may I post an open invitation to fish with me if you ever get over this way. I would love to be shown some serious carping by experts - and could maybe show you a trick or two about lure fishing from a boat.

Newt Vail

Zinky

Grumpy
Boys calm down and think this one out.
icon_smile_question.gif, Are British waters over stocked with carp.
icon_smile_question.gif, Are carp to blaim for our loss of native fish from our lakes.
icon_smile_question.gif, Should the British think again about these so called Carp super waters.
icon_smile_question.gif, In the last two winters we have had big floods what happened to all the carp from the lakes and ponds effected did they end up in our river systems and what will be the effect in years to come.
Please think before diving in to your replies

naughty2.gif

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Newt,many thanks,
Nice to get a veiw from another perspective.

Peter. thumbsup.gif
Happiness is a rod in your hand.

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
And remember carp arent native to this country either. They were imported as a FOOD source for monks from the 11th century onwards

chill out go fishing

waxlion1

Newt, Dragonbat

Good words & questions, from you both!

Dragonbat: your questions will only be answered in time,
quote:, Are British waters over stocked with carp.
, Are carp to blaim for our loss of native fish from our lakes.
, Should the British think again about these so called Carp super waters.
, In the last two winters we have had big floods what happened to all the carp from the lakes and ponds effected did they end up in our river systems and what will be the effect in years to come.

In some ways I think you may be right, but I hope not!

Newt:

We tend to forget that your country is vast compared to ours, none of us can in all honesty condemn anyone who hunts, simply because we hunt too! Just because we dont kill our pray doesnt mean were any better.

Each to his own! Just because I dont like it doesnt mean its got to stop!

Waxlion1
hello.gif

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
waxlion1 - FWIW, I do almost all C&R angling these days. If I crave fish, I buy them from the market.

And I haven't hunted since I returned from VietNam many years ago. Just haven't felt the urge.

This siutation is really one of different customs for different conditions though. Over here, there are many fisheries that benefit from having certain sizes of certain species taken by anglers.

In the specific case of carp, I know they get blamed in many countries (including this one) for bad water quality and loss of more highly sought-after fish. Never sure though if they deserve the blame. I think one problem is they can live in water that will destroy many other species so when the water quality goes down and the carp still do well, they get tagged as the cause when they are not.

Newt Vail

waxlion1

Newt

As to your open invitation; be careful I may take you up on that one day...icon_smile_wink.gif

Waxlion1
hello.gif

AlexR

quote:none of us can in all honesty condemn anyone who hunts, simply because we hunt too! Just because we dont kill our pray doesnt mean were any better.

spot on waxlion, well done.

;)

G

quote:
hi
someome should send this to the antis it is may make them relise what cruelty is.
if it happened over here i would jion the antis

tight lines.
martin.

Well said Martin,what seems cruel to us to the bow hunters its sport. It"s a never ending circle, who"s right and who"s wrongicon_smile_question.gif
Tight lines
Toma

martin.

Account Locked
hi
although i personaly disagree with killing for sport i am not against
killing via hunting for food or enviromental control ie. if a species need to be culled then let it be done under proper supervision
& humanely these pictures &results show only the ones killed outright
they do not give any figures as to how many are wounded &left to suffer.
i have lived in country for 48yrs & could be classed as a hunter/fisherman i have shot most types of game/wildfowl but only for food . I fish for most freshwater species but would never kill one unless i knew that if it was released it would suffer.

tight lines.
martin.

Status
Not open for further replies.