UN Convention on the Rights of Disabled Persons

dirk

Site Supporter
A new guide to the UN Convention on the Rights of Disabled Persons (UNCRDP) has been published by the Equality and Human Rights Commission today.

The Commissions guide will help disabled people to know what their rights are and how to use them. It will help people to challenge injustices and improve services for themselves and others and will help organisations understand what their responsibilities are.

The Convention, which was signed by the UK Government last year, sets out disabled peoples basic rights in one place. It covers health, education, employment, access to justice, personal security, independent living and access to information.

The UN convention also describes what the Government has agreed to do to make these rights real. It has until next July to report back to the UN on its progress on this agreement. The Commissions guide also sets out how organisations can report to the UN.

Mike Smith, Chair of the commissions Disability Committee, said:
The UK signed up to this treaty just over a year ago and we will continue to work with the government to make sure that it is implemented fully.

The Convention is not just a paper declaration without any teeth. It requires government to take action to remove barriers and give disabled people real freedom, dignity and equality. We can use it in lots of different ways to make sure our rights are respected and to get a better deal.

Our role is to ensure Britain makes rapid progress towards making the Convention rights a reality for disabled people. You and your organisation can get involved in telling people about these rights. The more people who know what the Convention says, the more likely it is that disabled people will be treated fairly.

Copies of the Commissions guide are available to download from its website at: -www.equalityhumanrights.com/UNCRPDguide. Printed copies of the guide can also be ordered via the Commissions helpline, either by telephone or textphone: -

England: Telephone: 08456 046 610 Textphone: 08456 046 620

Scotland: Telephone: 08456 045 510 Textphone: 08456 045 520

Wales: Telephone: 08456 048 810 Textphone: 08456 048 820

kleinboet

Dirk, I hope that these rights apply to the employment world as well.
What is happening right now is people applying for a job and then being told that the job is either not available or is already filled as soon as they learn that the applicant is disabled!

the lake lady

The Bitch
on the work front
i went for a job as a supervisor but because i cannot drive a manual car i was turned down. so they were not making reasonable ajustments for a disabled person. can i take further action or just leave it. the job was mine till they found out i could only drive automatics

2ts

Site Supporter
lakelady
you have answered your own question by stating "they were not making reasonable adjustments for a disabled person".
however, if that was the only obstacle to you getting the job, i would be asking them the question as to why have they not made the effort to accomodate you.
regards 2TS