Ultegra 5500s

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Hi Guys,

I'm contemplating getting a couple of these for my pike rods. Would they also be suitable for feeder fishing or a bit big and heavy? I'm looking at the CI4 versions so not stupid heavy hopefully was hoping to have more than one use for them :)

Do they also come with spool reducers? Don't fancy having to put 50 quid worth of powerpro on each reel or mess about with backing, I can never get the line lay right when I use backing :confused:

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I have 3 for distance casting 80m plus. They dont really need reducers. I use them on 1 3/4 korums used on buzzers.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Someone else suggested an alternative to me, Cast'izm 25 QDA (not the new fangled feeder version).

Would they be up to the rigours of piking/ chucking big deadbaits? Spool looks a little small to me, but can be had for not much more than the Ultegra 5500 CI4+

If you're wondering why such expensive reels? I'm 37 now and a big lad so probably not got more than another 25 years or so proper fishing so hopefully want something that would last me :) And i look after my fishing stuff.

Last edited:

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The original Cast'izm was released as a smaller size carp reel more midi pit than big pit if you like so will be more than strong enough for Piking. The more recent versions for feeder fishing have shallower spools but otherwise same size which also applies to the TDR distance.
Personally I tried the Shimano 5500 and did not like them as they seemed a bit clumsy for a feeder reel which was always going to be the main use for me but plenty do use them for distance feeder work and seem happy with them.
If it is a reel you intend to use a lot and keep for a long time my suggestion is to view both together if possible and make your decision based on which one feels the best in your hands.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Went with the ultegras in the end, came down to them having spare spool and reducers included, seemed the better package for the money.

I'll probably use them for 4 months every year chucking deadbaits, do seem a tad large for feeder fishing commercials :LOL:

If I ever get into big carping I suppose they could be used for that too.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Anytime you want distance for any species you now have the reels to do it.