Tyre Tread Depth?

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
At what stage do you folks change your tyres?

Mondeo STI 2.0 diesel 4WD.
The fronts still have 2.8mm on them, but with the low profile 235mm tyres, the treads look shallow.
And as we're approaching Winter ...

Banded_Nipple

The wear markers on most tyres are set just above the 1.6mm legal limit.

I would go down to 2mm at most but you are cutting it fine if the measurement is off.

I'd get them changed if i were you.

DFL

Site Supporter
What’s safe (ish) for one driver my not be for another. Much depends on driving routines, I’m retired and drive just a few miles a week pottering around town, longest journey would be fishing thirty miles away a few times a month in Summer, that doesn’t eliminate risk completely but if you are a daily commuter driving in all conditions then the risk factor multiplies greatly.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I generally change mine when they get down to about 1mm above the wear strips or I start to feel a loss of grip or feel, if your traction control light is coming on regularly, no matter how much trad is left I would change them

davylad

Site Supporter
I think you answered your own question with that last statement banksy, although there's still a bit of life in them. Gone are the days when we waited for the steel to show.o_O

160642fishing

Site Supporter
I've just had two put on the rear,due to a puncture in one,there was about 2.5 on them so they were due,you can get decent tyres at a good price if you shop around and I read somewhere recently that Quik Fit mobile can be cheaper than going to the branch,at the end of the day it's the only thing in contact with the road and in comparison to the cost of the car it's a no brainer.

lp1886

Site Supporter
What’s the cost of 2 tyres compared to your insurance excess or the price of your life?

jason39

I had a couple of tyres done by Asda tyres. Came to my work, done on the car park in 20 mins. Good range of branded tyres. Only £15 more than me having the trouble of going round and waiting at a garage.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Sorted.
I don't mind going to the fitter.
Damn good coffee and the receptionist is fitter than most.
Thanks everybody. :cool:

Banded_Nipple

Get a set of Uniroyal Rainsports and thank me later.

Really good tyre for the money. Excellent wet grip especially for the average driver.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Get a set of Uniroyal Rainsports and thank me later.

Really good tyre for the money. Excellent wet grip especially for the average driver.
I second that have just had a set of the new Rainsport 5's fitted to Kathy's car ....I didn't think they could improve on the wet performance of the older Rainsport 3's ....But they have ....just try following a car with these tyres fitted and see how much water is dispelled off the tryes. only down side is they wear a little quicker than some other quality brands (but you can buy nearly 2 rainsports for the price of 1 Michelin pilot ) but apparently this has been addressed in the 5's ...we will have to wait and see

Banded_Nipple

I second that have just had a set of the new Rainsport 5's fitted to Kathy's car ....I didn't think they could improve on the wet performance of the older Rainsport 3's ....But they have ....just try following a car with these tyres fitted and see how much water is dispelled off the tryes. only down side is they wear a little quicker than some other quality brands (but you can buy nearly 2 rainsports for the price of 1 Michelin pilot ) but apparently this has been addressed in the 5's ...we will have to wait and see

Yeah with them being a more dedicated wet tyre they do wear out quicker in dry summer conditions.

A lot of the club racing guys use them for race wets they're that good.