Types of fishing you'd like to do more of/rarely get around to

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
We all have our favourite/regular styles of fishing but most of us also have a yearning to try or do more of a different style of fishing.

I love picking a nice swim to fish the float and/or the feeder on my local Thames along with other rivers I've fished a few times like the Warwickshire Avon, great Ouse, Dorset stour, severn and Wye but I'd also really like to try roving a smaller river or stream more. I fish the Itchen navigation once or twice a year but apart from that I never fish any other small rivers mainly due to lack of access around my way.

What types of fishing would you guys like to do more that you don't often get around to for whatever reason?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Stick float fishing a nice glide on a river with silver fish is number one. And possibly in second place night fishing for big carp joing the bivvy brigade.

Paul22

I’d love to get back on the river Trent silver fishing with waggler or stick float.......
also fancy going on the canals pole fishing for silvers ?

davepellet

standard waggler for silvers on a stillwater

just never seem to do it any more, fish running line loads on the river, but when it comes to stillwater it's virtually always the pole of fishing a float under the rod tip (or feeder)

lp1886

Love fishing the slider in 20ft of water at about 30 turns. Problem is it’s hard work. Much easier to flick out a little feeder. Not done it for a few years now so sold my 13ft float rod.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
My 2 main methods are Feeder and float, but being as I have poles and very rarely fish with them then perhaps being able to pick a pole out and just take that. The problem there is a tend to pick up the rod bag. Having ordered a new pole, I hope to concentrate more on that.

Carp fishing is another style of fishing I should be doing more of too. I love my nights on the bank but having no car leaves me restricted as there's no night fishing round here. Getting out on the rivers is also a pain, I haven't seen one this year yet.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I’m getting a bit bored of carp on commercials and I am thinking of fishing a silvers lake next time out.

The thing I would really love to try is river fishing. I’d just use a big feeder for barbel first time out as I am sure that shouldn’t be too difficult. It’s the watercraft side of river fishing I would need to learn I reckon.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
I’m getting a bit bored of carp on commercials and I am thinking of fishing a silvers lake next time out.

The thing I would really love to try is river fishing. I’d just use a big feeder for barbel first time out as I am sure that shouldn’t be too difficult. It’s the watercraft side of river fishing I would need to learn I reckon.

Feeling the same to be honest.

Lake / Pond & Carp fishing is starting to bore me, I wouldn't mind targeting silvers on them but they don't allow keepnets which takes the fun out of it for me because I can't keep tabs on my bag and feel good about it by the end of the session, a pity really. I'd also love to do a lot more River fishing but I don't drive which sucks seeing as though I'm spoilt around my area.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Those of you wanting to get onto the rivers definitely won't regret it if you get out on one. I fish my local Stillwater 4 or 5 times a year for roach and perch mostly in the closed season and I really enjoy it but nothing beats river fishing for me. The scenery does it for me as much as anything as does the challenge of learning each rivers little quirks and nuances to catch often genuinely wild fish.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I have a lure kit but I rarely use it... I have only had limited success on jigs plugs and dropshotting

rudd

Site Supporter
I have a lure kit but I rarely use it... I have only had limited success on jigs plugs and dropshotting
Lure fishing is not as easy as it looks! Blanked this evening but it is rewarding when a big predator hits the lure.

I want to get out wreck fishing again and land a few more congars - they pull back hard!

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
When it comes to methods or types of fishing, there's not a thing. However, I do rather enjoy trying new venues, preferably ones with more, or bigger, fish. The downside of that is that I try to avoid traveling very far for my fishing. I'd love to be able to travel anywhere in the UK, and get access to any water I fancied, without even thinking about it.

MarkW

I'd have thought that access to the Seacourt (used to be NOAS)/Hinksey Streams would provide some local small river fishing for the OP. I have fond memories of fishing the Seacourt many years ago, even won a sizeable match there.

I love winter fishing on the Thames with the moving bread feeder for roach, silver bream and bream but it's a long day out with 4 hours of travelling on congested roads and the last trip to do this was 4 years ago.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
MarkW - Yes the waters like those you mention are there but access is not easy in terms of both fishing rights and parking. That said I probably just need to get a bit more adventurous.

For those of you that have mentioned types of sea fishing there’s a whole load of things I’d like to do on that front!

The Landlord

Site Supporter

Feeling a bit the same if I'm honest. Although it is nice to get a bend in the rod & because I only get half a day, the commercials are handy as they're only a few minutes drive for me.
Wouldn't mind a stick float session on the River Dane & I'd love another crack at team fishing. Used to love the buzz of the Winter league (just not the weather).