Type of hooks for river fishing

clare

Hello information for river fishing going to try trotting on a small river what hooks are best for natural baits maggots worm barbless or barbed. Thanks

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Sadly you can’t buy Mustad 90340’s anymore but, Kamasan B911 will do the trick. I’m a fan of everything barbless so that’s what I’d go with. Good luck. 👍

IanG1

Site Supporter
I use a Kamasan B520 for most of my river stuff and also recently tried the Browning Sphere Classic which is a black nickel hook and been impressed with them too. As Mick says Good Luck nothing better than inching a float through a swim with the anticipation of it burying at any moment and that lovely clunk on the strike when you connect.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Drennan silverfish or kamasan b611 mostly for me on the float, less fussy on the feeder.

alsur

Site Supporter
I tend to use kamasan animal barbless as Chub, Trout and odd Barbel are a strong possibility and it's doesn't seem to effect catch rate to much.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Kamasan B911 in any of it's guises will get the job done.

I am in no way associated nor affiliated, nor do I work for Kamasan. Although with how many of their hooks I've bought over the years, I feel I'm entitled to a few free shares. :giggle:

SpenBeck

Site Supporter
For a light hook targeting small fish - Kamasan B560, for a medium hook targeting small to medium size fish - Kamasan B711 and for a strong hook that can deal with anything - Kamasan B911.
Barbless or barbed - your choice by trial and error.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Kamasan B520 or B711 for me. I’ll also use the B560 if I know it’s only smallish fish.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
People will generally choose hooks based on a mixture of factors (bait choice, species of fish, the average size of fish, the method being used etc). Throw in a huge variation of personal preference and experience and you are going to get different answers from everyone you might ask.

In your shoes, I'd suggest that you make choices in the same way as you might for your stillwater fishing. For example, if you already have a favoured pattern for stillwater maggot fishing, use it on the river until you find something deficient in it. In the shorter term, the only change that you may (or may not) want to make, would be to try a barbed variant of your usual hooks.