Tying spade end hook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I hope someone can help with this I think its a trivial problem.

When tying a spade end hook does it matter what strength line you are using on specific sized hooks. For example will 10lb line go on a size 22 or should you put small line on small hooks example 1lb strength line on a size 22 hook.

I'm trying to learn how to tie spade hooks and started with 3lb line on a size 12 hook which worked and then 6lb line on size 22 tied the same way and they kept coming off. I am hoping someone can help me prove or disprove my theory.

I am using a matchman hook tie. If this is not the reason can someone point me to an idiots guide to hook ties? I have looked across the first few Google searches.

Dannysdad

Guv
Originally posted by matthewbowers88

Hey I hope someone can help with this I think its a trivial problem.

When tying a spade end hook does it matter what strength line you are using on specific sized hooks. For example will 10lb line go on a size 22 or should you put small line on small hooks example 1lb strength line on a size 22 hook.

I'm trying to learn how to tie spade hooks and started with 3lb line on a size 12 hook which worked and then 6lb line on size 22 tied the same way and they kept coming off. I am hoping someone can help me prove or disprove my theory.

I am using a matchman hook tie. If this is not the reason can someone point me to an idiots guide to hook ties? I have looked across the first few Google searches.

Hello Matthew and welcome to the club.

The thicker the line, the bigger the hook.

The thinner the line, the smaller the hook.

I am far from being an expert but I don't think I will be far away with that..............?

greentura

Greenie
best way to work out what line strength, or line diameter more often now, goes to which hook size is to look at what is being used on the ready tied packs in the shop[:T]

as a rule the larger the diameter of the line the bigger the hook needs to be so the line coils tight around the shank when tied or it will un wind and come off.

do a search on here for 'matchman hook tyer' and you should find your answers[:T]

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Personally I would never go above 0.13 for a size 16/18 and 0.11 for 20s. I have tried and had poor results so now use eyed for stronger lines.

avonangler

The thicker the line the higher the chance of it slipping the spade. Experiment with lines & hooks & you'll soon pick up the knowledge. When tied I always pull my hooks against one of the brass pins on my hooklength measure. Anything you can put the hook around & pull against will do the job.

If at first you don't succeed tie & tie again ;)

pole addict

You should never use 6 lb line on a 22. It's not balanced.

Small hooks only nick a small piece of skin on the fishes lip and this cannot take the strain of a good strong pull without it pulling out of the fishes mouth and you lose the fish.

As a general guide to hook size/ breaking strain ratios, just look at some hooks to nylon for ideas.

getfishing

Pete
I generally have up to 0.12mm for a size 20, probably the same for a size 18, go up to 0.14mm for size 16 and so on.

Originally posted by avonangler

The thicker the line the higher the chance of it slipping the spade. Experiment with lines & hooks & you'll soon pick up the knowledge. When tied I always pull my hooks against one of the brass pins on my hooklength measure. Anything you can put the hook around & pull against will do the job.

If at first you don't succeed tie & tie again ;)

Tie and Tie again, that's awesome cheers bud

Originally posted by greentura

best way to work out what line strength, or line diameter more often now, goes to which hook size is to look at what is being used on the ready tied packs in the shop[:T]

as a rule the larger the diameter of the line the bigger the hook needs to be so the line coils tight around the shank when tied or it will un wind and come off.

do a search on here for 'matchman hook tyer' and you should find your answers[:T]

Thank you, this really helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.