Tying hooks

TonyA

Site Supporter
I've seen several posts on MD concerning problems passing line twice through hook eyes to tie knotless knots. I think I've found a way ( I hope I'm not repeating what has already been said).
I set the hook up with hair as normal but before I tie the knot I squeeze the mainline end with a pair of pliers (about 2mm) , then cut the line at an angle. This gives me a flattened point which easily passes through the eye, grab the point (with tweezers), wet the line and pull it through. When you tie the loop, the flattened bit is cut off as part of the tag.
It works for me , I hope it makes sense.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I've seen several posts on MD concerning problems passing line twice through hook eyes to tie knotless knots. I think I've found a way ( I hope I'm not repeating what has already been said).
I set the hook up with hair as normal but before I tie the knot I squeeze the mainline end with a pair of pliers (about 2mm) , then cut the line at an angle. This gives me a flattened point which easily passes through the eye, grab the point (with tweezers), wet the line and pull it through. When you tie the loop, the flattened bit is cut off as part of the tag.
It works for me , I hope it makes sense.
Personally I’ve never had a problem but, I think your post is a brilliant idea for those who are struggling. Nice one. Well done. ?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yeah that's a good tip, nice one. I've found good light is the best way combined with cutting the line at an angle and pulling the whippings tight before. A bit of practice makes perfect as I can now easily tie them up on the bank if I need, providing good light as I have fished to dark and struggle to even see the hair to bait up even with my Petzl head torch.

rudd

Site Supporter
Yeah that's a good tip, nice one. I've found good light is the best way combined with cutting the line at an angle and pulling the whippings tight before. A bit of practice makes perfect as I can now easily tie them up on the bank if I need, providing good light as I have fished to dark and struggle to even see the hair to bait up even with my Petzl head torch.
Petzl? Ridgemonkey mate - green is the new black ? Myself and five other club members using these and all impressed. The green light does not spook fish, battery life is exceptional, usb chargeable, five light settings and the head band/torch is comfortable to wear - I have fallen asleep wearing it!

Good tip from OP? The same thing works for threading on rig tubing.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
The Petzl one was 'acquired' from my dad from his work as an electrician. :p (y) Don't do much night fishing, just need it for dusks and dawns so does its job. Maybe check those out if I invest in a new one.