Tying hooks

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
I've been experimenting, I've been Tying medium gauge wire to 1.2 with a drennan hook, which have been sucsessfull but I'm wanting to tie fine wire 20s 18s to .7 .8
.9, the problem is after I get the turns done clamp it over to and pull the main hooklenth line tight it binds and no matter how much spit how gentle I pull it pigtails on me, am I some how making my wraps to tight on shank or is there some mystical method that's escaped me.

buygoodtackle

Sounds like there is too much tension applied when making your wraps. I tie my hooks by hand now as the tiers never gave me a result I was confident with!

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Yea I've been looking at doing the same as I'm not getting the results I'm looking for, i think this weekend at work will learning to tie spades by hand, and possibly some different hooklenth material using some drennan at the moment, seems to spin up really easily. Keep experimenting.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I tie 0.6 to a 20 or 24 without problem. The thing is not to hold the line too tight when wrapping it around the hook. Once the whipping is done I pull both the tag end and hooklength to tighten the knot then pull the hooklength while holding the hook in a pair of pliers to snug the knot up to the spade end, the knot usually tightens a final quarter turn at this point.

No need to whip the line round the shank tightly while tying. Just enough to set the line round the shank while keeping everything taught enough for the knot to form, not tight.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
It might be the dennan, i suspect more likely it's me and my technique. I have 2 12 hour shifts this weekend, so I'm making a few whip rigs, and I will be making lots of hooks in 20s 18s, so by the time I'm finished my fingers will be bleeding or the lot will be in the bin. Out of interest what different material can I use for my hook lengths. Whats recommended in the .7-1 range.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I tie all of my hooks by hand and don't have a problem with 0.07 to a 22, I think the trick is to have enough tension to hold everything in place but not to tight and then when you pull it tight pull both the tag and the hook length adding a bit of saliva before a final tighten, as for hook length line we all have our favourites and I am not going to say one is better than the other but the ones I use are either Guru N gauge or G line and never really had any issues

smiffy

Site Supporter
I have tied hooks down to a 0.06 using a tier and to be honest occasionally got pigtails. I think it just goes with the territory sometimes. To avoid it I made sure there was not too much tension,wet the line and pulled tight gently.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
From the sounds of it hand tied is the way forward, i start learning Saturday 09:00, cheers chaps.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
One thing to try would be to use a fairly light weight to hold the spool of line in place when tying. That way you cannot pull too hard because the wright will move. I use a 200g kitchen weight but would suggest you use half that to begin with.

PJG

I tie by hand and get better results than when I use a hook tyer. Always whip towards the spade, if you whip towards the bend the knot is much weaker, I do 8 turns of the line. Test each knot carefully. I prefer eyed hooks but can't find at the moment suitable hooks in the smaller sizes.

richox12

I tie by hand and get better results than when I use a hook tyer. Always whip towards the spade, if you whip towards the bend the knot is much weaker.
I do the exact opposite. Start under spade and whip down so that both bits of line are trapped under the coils. If you whip up then one is under and one is wrapped around the outside. I've never had a knot go on me. And I tie down 0.06 to 24's and anything up to 10's with 0.18.

Not sure that in use it makes much difference though.

gixer 13

Site Supporter
I do the exact opposite. Start under spade and whip down so that both bits of line are trapped under the coils. If you whip up then one is under and one is wrapped around the outside. I've never had a knot go on me. And I tie down 0.06 to 24's and anything up to 10's with 0.18.

Not sure that in use it makes much difference though.
Thats the way i do it less chance of the knot slipping

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
i tie be hand.....0.06 to a 24 no problem and little to no lubrication.

I post this link everytime this topic comes up but it really is the dogs b**l*x

tricky to learn but once you get it you'll not (pardon the pun;)) look back and great results

typically i tie 12 turns + one for luck (dont like even numbersbut not scared of the number 13:p)