Tying hooklengths same length.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I have always tied hooklengths as and when needed. I am now thinking of maybe tying some in advance and storing. How do you manage to tie them at the same length all the time without a dedicated hook tying machine ?

solwood

Site Supporter
As above but I use the loops in the Preston hook box

The little bit of length lost by the knot keeps the hook links tight

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm often too lazy and tie them on the bank using my hand as a marker but when I tie them at home I use the board with nail trick too except tie the loop first.

Often wondered about a better way when I see peoples neat hook boxes/wallets.

T.I

As said a board with pins, can be a hooklength box, I use a sensas loop tyer thing making it all very easy once you get the hang of it.

If using a hooklength box you can use offset pins so that the line is at an angle as to accomodate thicker lines, I think DumDum did a video of this.

I also have an easy hook tyer for spades which was pretty inexpensive, some have made their own, I recall Maverick's one looking pretty darn good.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Have a look halfway down this page to see my board/pins set up.

And just over a minute into this video I demonstrate its use.

Once you have bent the line round the pin, grasp the doubled line and slide the loop off the pin, then tie the loop knot either by hand as I do or with a loop tyer.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I can remember my dad using an old Crib board he got from the local pub for his hook lengths. Very similar to this one...

1565160255527.png

richox12

As above but I use the loops in the Preston hook box. The little bit of length lost by the knot keeps the hook links tight

Exactly that. If you want exactly 150mm then you'd better make the pins you use for tying (I use the box same as above) something like 152mm or 153mm apart. The loop knot will 'eat' some line.

PAB

Site Supporter
I tie the hook on first then hook on a pin wrap the other end of the line around another pin 4" 6" 15" away or what ever length I want then pinch the loop length and slide of the pin and tie a figure eight loop works for me every time.

stephenk

Site Supporter
I use board and pins for rig tying too. Got a 4 foot board with pins at 1 foot intervals. Just wrap around the pins to get the length you want. Can do 1 foot to 12 foot...or even more if you want. A lot easier than having all your top kits out...

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Simpler to know that fingertip to fingertip is about 6ft. Then my desk is marked at six inch intervals and is 4 1/2ft wide.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
You should have told Sly as hes only gone and knocked two 3" nails into their lasses new coffee table. ???

Was going to do the same with mine, but nails don't go through glass very well. :ROFLMAO:

spittlebug

Hi, i could not get them same length till recently.
I couldn't master other ways (Mind not tried much).
Tying loop so it stays at same length.
Tried this way with Loop Tyer & OK now.
Its not same as Loop Tyer instructions, for tying a loop.
Theres a few vids that do similar method.

About 2 or 3 mins from end.

Loops also tied with figure of eight knot.

Bob