Tying banded hair rigs

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I buy a lot of pretied banded hair rigs, they come with a little bit of silicon to hold the hair in place on the bend of the hook. A good idea I think.

I don't bother when tying them myself, but might start. What tubing do you use? Any suggestions for what to buy?

I presume there's other ways of achieving similar, that way where you go through the eye three times (too fiddly for me) or just whipping right down the shank (I do this anyway).

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
i tie an awful lot of banded hook lengths......mainly without a piece of silicon tube however some now have them. Of course it allows me to have a longer hair with the bait further away from the hook or the bait pulled up tight to the hook bend so can target carp or F1's/skimmers more effectively.

Normally I make 15 turns to pull the hair loop to the shank but if using a piece of silicon I reduce the number of turns to around 8 (still secure) to allow more flexibility in the hair..

I use pole float silicon tubing .0.4/0.5....

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm going to be using them for Crucians where I think it's good to have the bait tight to the bend of the hook. If the tubing breaks, as it often does with my clumsy hands, I always bin the hook and put a new one on. Only problem I foresee is me being able to get braid through the tube if I use braid.

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
I'm going to be using them for Crucians where I think it's good to have the bait tight to the bend of the hook. If the tubing breaks, as it often does with my clumsy hands, I always bin the hook and put a new one on. Only problem I foresee is me being able to get braid through the tube if I use braid.
was speaking with Darren Cox a few weeks back, he is adamant that for F1 and (especially) skimmers that hair rigging is not the best but simply piercing a band on the hook and fishing the bait directly behind the bend gives better hook ups. Have done this the last few weeks for my skimmer fishing and definitely having growing confidence.... no reason why this would not work with crucians. I Would always hair rig the band for carp fishing personally

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yes that's an idea. Didn't think of that! I should probably just hook the band. Much easier too. Cheers.

chris1967

Really Really
Site Supporter
Back to tying my own the new qm1 banded 15" jobbies i'm finding terrible ,band is too small and easily breaks

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've been buying the 4" QM1s and find it's the tube that hold the hair in place that breaks for me.

qtaran111

Site Supporter
343D2CA4-B51E-41EA-83BE-AF4B9EC9B552.jpeg

I used to use this on my carp rigs, worked great on larger carp hooks. They also did a 0.5 for smaller gauge hooks.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I had a play a while back using short pieces of shrink tube on the hook - basically tie the band to the hookline, thread the line through the shrink tube, turn the point of the hook through the tube from the end where the line comes out, then tie the hook with a knotless knot setting the length of the hair.
Once done hold the hooklength over a kettle spout and let the steam shrink the tube.

They look brilliant when done, nice and tight hair with a small band holding it in place - However, don't do it as for some reason the line on several hooks I've tied this way has parted company at the knot way too easily :(

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I was tying hair rigs with tiny sections of Drennan pole float silicon tubing (fine) but then I saw a Jamie Hughes video where he was hooking the band so tried that and it really works well so now I just do that as it makes hooklength tying simpler.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I think sometimes as anglers we just overcomplicate things - remember years back when it was all-important to use the smallest hook you could hide in the bait?
Now it's a case of use the biggest you can get away with and the bait dangling from it

Total

Site Supporter
I think sometimes as anglers we just overcomplicate things - remember years back when it was all-important to use the smallest hook you could hide in the bait?
Now it's a case of use the biggest you can get away with and the bait dangling from it
I've also seen in a few recent fishing videos that some are returning to those old beliefs especially amongst feeder anglers....All part of the ever cyclic of fishing thinking....I won't be returning to it....

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
I had a play a while back using short pieces of shrink tube on the hook - basically tie the band to the hookline, thread the line through the shrink tube, turn the point of the hook through the tube from the end where the line comes out, then tie the hook with a knotless knot setting the length of the hair.
Once done hold the hooklength over a kettle spout and let the steam shrink the tube.

They look brilliant when done, nice and tight hair with a small band holding it in place - However, don't do it as for some reason the line on several hooks I've tied this way has parted company at the knot way too easily :(
i played with shrink tube but tbh felt that it defeated the object., especially with the smaller hook sizes. I do have some with shrink tube for size 10 & 12 Qm1's. Alternatively you can whip down to the bend (might be 20+ turns on bigger sizes)

With a small piece of silicon float tube you can move it up and down freely to fish a pellet tight up to the bend or push the silicon up towards the whipping to give you a longer hair. Can really help on those iffy days when they're being fussy and the pellet has to be offered in an exact fashion

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I came downstairs a couple of days ago and my dad was watching something. I thought I recognised the voice, and it was that Jamie Hughes video! I have bought some Braid, Drennan Gravel Braid 8lb. I'm still not sure how much I will use it but I saw a video of Phil Spinks using it for Crucians. Do I do everything Phil Spinks tells me to do, you might ask? Answer is not really, but I will readily try anything he suggests. Just an experiment for me.

Am going to try hooking the band. It will be more rigid on the hook, but worth a try.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
I came downstairs a couple of days ago and my dad was watching something. I thought I recognised the voice, and it was that Jamie Hughes video! I have bought some Braid, Drennan Gravel Braid 8lb. I'm still not sure how much I will use it but I saw a video of Phil Spinks using it for Crucians. Do I do everything Phil Spinks tells me to do, you might ask? Answer is not really, but I will readily try anything he suggests. Just an experiment for me.

Am going to try hooking the band. It will be more rigid on the hook, but worth a try.
Will you be fishing braid under a float?
Being so much more subtle than mono, it possibly may have an adverse effect on bite detection.