Two Programmes

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Rather than start two threads I will cover two TV programmes in this one.

Masterchef. I am no foodie, dislike strong spices and similar flavours but the programme fascinates me with what these chefs do with food. I would not appreciate eating in a fine dining restaurant. I wouldn't understand seeing more plate than food when a meal was placed in front of me. I certainly don't understand all the different names for gravy/sauce.

Two nights ago one plate contained nothing but onions. Done different ways but still a plate of onions at the end of the day. What's that about? How much would I have to pay for a plate of fine dining onions?

And surely after all the messing about making the plate look pretty, handling the food and "resting" the meat wouldn't the food be cold?

Don't get me wrong, I have had great food. One memorable plate was a galette in France. The first mouthful blew me away. And it filled the plate

IMG_20170628_130159.jpg

Dessert was just as good.

IMG_20170628_135545.jpg

I guess a pleb like me will have to stick to steak & chips

Money For Nothing. Now this programme winds me up so much that I can no longer watch it. Money for nothing? Only if you are prepared to invest hundreds and then hopefully find some mug punter with more money than sense. Its like saying betting or speculating on the stock market is money for nothing.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
food programmes

it looks nice yes, but as you say half of it just looks like you been served a dirty plate

the thing that really turns me though, is the amount of touching of the food by bare hands in the quest to make it look good

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
I agree whole heartedly about the fine dining nonsense. When I sit down to a meal I want my dinner, not some artsy fartsy blx.

Money for nothing is a joke. Imagine what would happen if you or I turned up at one of these businesses with a rehashed, rainbow painted piece of old junk. We'd be laughed out of the shop.

Good post. (y)

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Last night Masterchef was a good watch, the Chinese chef explaining and demonstrating dim sum and then the Nepalese chef Santosh turning that into a desert, fascinating and a real example of the art of a good chef.

I watch cooking programmes and love cooking, I did consider being a chef when I was younger, as for fine dining, I love it, can’t beat some well, prepared good ingredients.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
The home makeover shows are a farce, we had one near us, 60 minute makeover, then 3 weeks of proper tradespeople in later to put it right.

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Rather than start two threads I will cover two TV programmes in this one.

Masterchef. I am no foodie, dislike strong spices and similar flavours but the programme fascinates me with what these chefs do with food. I would not appreciate eating in a fine dining restaurant. I wouldn't understand seeing more plate than food when a meal was placed in front of me. I certainly don't understand all the different names for gravy/sauce.

Two nights ago one plate contained nothing but onions. Done different ways but still a plate of onions at the end of the day. What's that about? How much would I have to pay for a plate of fine dining onions?

And surely after all the messing about making the plate look pretty, handling the food and "resting" the meat wouldn't the food be cold?

Don't get me wrong, I have had great food. One memorable plate was a galette in France. The first mouthful blew me away. And it filled the plate

IMG_20170628_130159.jpg

Dessert was just as good.

IMG_20170628_135545.jpg

I guess a pleb like me will have to stick to steak & chips

Money For Nothing. Now this programme winds me up so much that I can no longer watch it. Money for nothing? Only if you are prepared to invest hundreds and then hopefully find some mug punter with more money than sense. Its like saying betting or speculating on the stock market is money for nothing.
Me and Wifey went for a taster menu at a fine dining resteraunt in Cardiff. Lovely beautiful food with very nice wine and a very nice bill at the end of it. 2 hours later we were down Caroline street eating kebab. ? The food was lovely though.

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Last night Masterchef was a good watch, the Chinese chef explaining and demonstrating dim sum and then the Nepalese chef Santosh turning that into a desert, fascinating and a real example of the art of a good chef.

I watch cooking programmes and love cooking, I did consider being a chef when I was younger, as for fine dining, I love it, can’t beat some well, prepared good ingredients.
Santosh is my favourite to win. I think he understands his spicing just a tad more than the other chefs but Bart will run him close.

commieboy257

Account Locked
I like money for nothing, being a repurposer (I have no rainbow paint) I like to pick up techniques rather than ideas for a particular finished product.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Me and Wifey went for a taster menu at a fine dining resteraunt in Cardiff. Lovely beautiful food with very nice wine and a very nice bill at the end of it. 2 hours later we were down Caroline street eating kebab. ? The food was lovely though.
Can't beat chippy alley...... Tony's?

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Seriously,

I like cooking but for me cookery means doing normal grub properly. I`m happy with my pastry so my sausage rolls/pasties are to my
satisfaction. My bajhis are the best I have ever known but despite hundreds of attempts I can`t nail an authentic curry. Proper cooking
means proper grub, some of the concoctions on the telly are ridiculous.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Eating out in a top class restaurant can be an unbelievable experience. Chefs work hard. Harder than you think. If you’ve ever put a fork full of top class food in your north and south then you will appreciate their hard work. Our Chefster is a top chef. I’ve seen some of his creations and they are an absolute work of art. So good it would be a shame to stick a fork into them.

Agree with money for nothing though Neil. Slap some paint on an old table and charge top money ? They obviously don’t sell these things up in Yorkshire I know that. I often think that that program is staged.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I have no doubt chefs work hard especially with the heat of a kitchen.

I can also understand presentation but only up to a point, as I said some of the creations on a plate are absurd.

piscatorial

Can't stand the way these chefs cook chops, either lamb or pork.
They're always almost raw and the fats never cooked enough.
I like my pork chops well cooked so the fat melts in the mouth and the meat almost falls off the bone, don't even mind the meat being slightly on the tough side either.
Almost the same for lamb chops, well done, fat rendered down and crispy.
Steak I can eat rare, but prefer it medium to well done.

jods

Site Supporter
14 course taster. It's a tasting experience! Why fill up on the first course? Horses for courses.

fishcatcher4

The chef's lose me when they start plating up with tweezers.ffs. :)

As for money for nothing me and the wife have started watching it and we always say which is going to be the lamp.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Good quality pan fried sausages trump all that poncey muck.

Sirloin ditto.

UKzero behave!

Never said a word chief, but now that you mention it...how come there's never any brown sauce on these 'ere cookery things on telly?

And another thing, doctors keep telling us to cut down on salt, but yet these chef types put it into everything, waste of good food is that when a dollop or 2 of brown sauce will do the job.

breadflake

Site Supporter
Just finished reading this thread and starving so going downstairs to cut a large tattie into chips then fry add a little salt and place between two slices of heavily buttered white bread then while muttering mmm gorge myself
and maybe repeat (y)