Two line clips on a reel

CluelessFishing

Site Supporter
Probably a dumb question but I will ask it anyway . I have been looking at reels with a view to purchasing a new one for distance feeder fishing . I noticed the Preston Centris NT 520 . One of the selling points in the blurb is that the reel has two line clips which according to the aforementioned blurb "makes fishing two lines easier " Can anyone explain how it makes fishing two lines easier ? I presume when casting the shortest clipped distance would be hit first . If you then unclipped and cast to a longer clipped distance it would be determined by the second line clip but how would that differ from clipping twice on the same line clip ? You would still hit the short line first then unclip that to hit the long line and in both cases lose the short line distance as it has been unclipped or does a two clip spool not work like that ?

Total

Site Supporter
@CluelessFishing ....You've pretty much answered your own question. (y)......One clip will do both jobs. (y).....Counting reel turns between two clip positions (on one reel clip) will pretty much give you the distance again, if you have to unclip on all situations except if your fishing extremely tight to a feature.(y)

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I clip up twice many a time on matches if im chucking down the edge, Like Mark says count the Reel turns ya wont go far wrong, there was one time though i forgot to take the second clip up off I was gonna just drop it before the next peg so didnt clip hit a carp and away it went hit the second clip still on nearly dragged the rod outta me hand and snap :rolleyes: now when im setting up i make sure with 2 casts before re clipping (y)

D

Deleted member 21081

The simple fact is, no matter how many line clips are on the reel you can only fish to the shortest one you have clipped up to anyway!
There’s very little advantage in the reel having two clips as long as the clip will allow line to go round it twice.

muggins

paste man
Site Supporter
I can only think that you keep clipped up to the long line. If you then want to fish your shorter line all you need to do is count the number of turns, lets say 12 and then clip up again on the other clip and you'll be fishing on your shorter line. If you then want to revert back to your longer line just unclip your short line and you're fishing straight away. It would definitely be easier and quicker to change between the 2 lines.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Advertising hype that some will be taken in by.

Just like all the fancy ingredient names in cosmetics. No one knows what they do but you can boast that your skin cream has xxx in it. No one questions it because no one wants to look a fool.

D

Deleted member 21081

I can only think that you keep clipped up to the long line. If you then want to fish your shorter line all you need to do is count the number of turns, lets say 12 and then clip up again on the other clip and you'll be fishing on your shorter line. If you then want to revert back to your longer line just unclip your short line and you're fishing straight away. It would definitely be easier and quicker to change between the 2 lines.
How? If you want to do this you can do exactly as you have said using the same clip twice.

CluelessFishing

Site Supporter

Just like all the fancy ingredient names in cosmetics. No one knows what they do but you can boast that your skin cream has xxx in it. No one questions it because no one wants to look a fool.
I have questioned it although I do confess to often being a fool :D .However on this occasion the majority of replies to my question suggest I was right in thinking there is in fact no significant value in having two line clips as opposed to simply clipping twice under the single clip

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter

Quite right Neil, but as we all know, it is the fool who doesn't ask questions.

muggins

paste man
Site Supporter
How? If you want to do this you can do exactly as you have said using the same clip twice.
Because with 2 line clips, one being permanently clipped, you would only have to recount your shorter line not both when swapping between lines

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Just a thought; are the clips labelled so that you know which is long and which is short?:p

D

Deleted member 21081

Because with 2 line clips, one being permanently clipped, you would only have to recount your shorter line not both when swapping between lines
Why can’t you do this with one clip used twice?

muggins

paste man
Site Supporter
You can if your clip is strong/thick enough to hold 2 lots of feeder line. I'm not trying to sell the idea to anybody, just trying to work out the thinking behind it.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
At least you wont have to bite little bits of line off to get it to fit neatly in the clip when you pack it away. That is what they're for, isn't it ?

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
If you leave your rods set-up and the long line clipped up section is not used very often will it weaken the line at the clipped point if the rest of the line is wound on quite tight?