Two days out.... Viaduct and Acorn

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
As much as I struggle with pleasure fishing, I decided I best have a couple of days out to get used to my new pole and see what it can and can’t do before the matches start.

Saturday I ventured to Viaduct, as if anywhere is going to test a pole (Browning Sphere Zero G PT+) to the extremes, then Viaduct is it, bumped into @dave brittain 1 and spent some time having a chat with him, I hadn’t checked the wind direction before evturing out and Dave suggested the far bank as any wind would be off our backs. Peg 129 for me, Dave gave me one of his home made floats to try, so that was set up to fish banded pellet at 11m, on 0.14, with a 0.11 hooklength and a 18 LWG hook. Elastic was Duraslip 7 expecting some skimmers. Next rig wa s for 14.5m and this had 0.15 hooklength with a band again for hard pellet, 13 Duraslip and finally a rig with 0.17 hooklengths for up to the spit and down the edge, this with 15 Duraslip. The idea being to build up elastic and hooklength strengths to get a feel for the pole.

C82374E1-7AF4-46F8-910F-7AA72AC4687A.jpeg

Starting on the 11m line feeding 4mm and fishing 6mm Skrettings, I was soon into skimmers, although they didn’t really settle, although I did have a couple of carp and one just nudging double figures. I did have to go out to 14m, where I fed and fished 6mm, expecting carp, but had mainly skimmers and they were more settled at that distance, I did feed some micros and corn to the spit and had carp to 17lb on the 15 Duraslip rig, pole was faultless and I was well pleased with the day, clicking 122lb of carp and I reckon this net of Skimmers was around 35lb.

4F15E0FA-294A-43D5-92B9-319FFE3C623C.jpeg

Today, went to Acorn, saw a few long time mates there and we all ended up fishing around one small area, probably not the best idea, but it was a nice day and good to actually see people and be sociable. Today I tried the other new pole (Browning Sphere Power Partner) well it was a lot harder, I fished peg 11, it’s used to be a flier, especially in winter and I have won several matches from it, but today, I think the carp were in another part of the lake ( it used to have a big over hanging tree, that’s now been removed) I treated it like a bit of a day sat in the sun and was chatting! Rather than concentrating, I didn’t make changes like I would in match and just stuck with fishing GB and dead maggots, tight across, at 2+2 and dow; the edge.

The lake fished hard for most on it, I only had one carp, which is really unusual! I did manage a few skimmers and three tench, but if it had been a match I would have switch to a much lighter strung out rig, as the fish were just off bottom and an bites came with the rig laid in, held tight and the skimmers hitting just off or as it touched the bottom and my spread 8’s rig was too heavy, I kne if I had changed to a lighter rig with spread 11’s I would have caught more, but really couldn’t be bothered.

248E7743-4121-49C9-B665-492FA366F725.jpeg

Anyway, nice couple of days, it just reinforced that I couldn’t do it every weekend without matches to fish. Roll on the 29th.

Last edited:

Total

Site Supporter
There you go! Pleasure fishing isn't so painful! ;).....Nice bag of fish.....:)

Lovely write up (as usual) and glad the new poles are doing the business....(y)

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
As much as I struggle with pleasure fishing, I decided I best have a couple of days out to get used to my new pole and see what it can and can’t do before the matches start.

Saturday I ventured to Viaduct, as if anywhere is going to test a pole (Browning Sphere Zero G PT+) to the extremes, then Viaduct is it, bumped into @dave brittain 1 and spent some time having a chat with him, I hadn’t checked the wind direction before evturing out and Dave suggested the far bank as any wind would be off our backs. Peg 129 for me, Dave gave me one of his home made floats to try, so that was set up to fish banded pellet at 11m, on 0.14, with a 0.11 hooklength and a 18 LWG hook. Elastic was Duraslip 7 expecting some skimmers. Next rig wa s for 14.5m and this had 0.15 hooklength with a band again for hard pellet, 13 Duraslip and finally a rig with 0.17 hooklengths for up to the spit and down the edge, this with 15 Duraslip. The idea being to build up elastic and hooklength strengths to get a feel for the pole.

Starting on the 11m line feeding 4mm and fishing 6mm Skrettings, I was soon into skimmers, although they didn’t really settle and I did have to go out to 14m, where I fed and fished 6mm, expecting carp, but had mainly skimmers and they were more settled at that distance, I did feed some micros and corn to the spit and had carp to 17lb on the 15 Duraslip rig, pole was faultless and I was well pleased with the day, clicking 122lb of carp and I reckon this net of Skimmers was around 35lb.

Today, went to Acorn, saw a few long time mates Thera and we all ended up fishing around one Small area, probably not the best idea, but it was a nice day and good to actually see people and be sociable. Today I tried the other new pole (Browning Sphere Power Partner) well it was a lot harder, I fished peg 11, it’s used to be a flier, especially in winter and I have won several matches from it, but today, I think the carp were in another part of the lake ( it used to have a big over hanging tree, that’s now been removed) I treated it like a bit of a day sat in the sun and was chatting! Rather than concentrating, I didn’t make changes like I would in match and just stuck with fishing GB and dead maggots, tight across, at 2+2 and dow; the edge.

The lake fished hard for most on it, I only had one carp, which is really unusual! I did manage a few skimmers and three tench, but if it had been a match I would have switch to a much lighter strung out rig, as the fish were just off bottom and an bites came with the rig laid in, held tight and the skimmers hitting just off or as it touched the bottom and my spread 8’s rig was too heavy, I kne if I had changed to a lighter rig with spread 11’s I would have caught more, but really couldn’t be bothered.

Anyway, nice couple of days, it just reinforced that I couldn’t do it every weekend without matches to fish. Roll on the 29th.
Lovely report and nice bit of fishing ,good weight of fish 🐟 👍, glad you like your pole to. Wow 17lb carp on sphere ,that helps settle my mind a lot 😆

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter

Starting on the 11m line feeding 4mm and fishing 6mm Skrettings, I was soon into skimmers, although they didn’t really settle, although I did have a couple of carp and one just nudging double figures. I did have to go out to 14m, where I fed and fished 6mm, expecting carp, but had mainly skimmers and they were more settled at that distance, I did feed some micros and corn to the spit and had carp to 17lb on the 15 Duraslip rig, pole was faultless and I was well pleased with the day, clicking 122lb of carp and I reckon this net of Skimmers was around 35lb.

Today, went to Acorn, saw a few long time mates there and we all ended up fishing around one small area, probably not the best idea, but it was a nice day and good to actually see people and be sociable. Today I tried the other new pole (Browning Sphere Power Partner) well it was a lot harder, I fished peg 11, it’s used to be a flier, especially in winter and I have won several matches from it, but today, I think the carp were in another part of the lake ( it used to have a big over hanging tree, that’s now been removed) I treated it like a bit of a day sat in the sun and was chatting! Rather than concentrating, I didn’t make changes like I would in match and just stuck with fishing GB and dead maggots, tight across, at 2+2 and dow; the edge.

Chris it was nice to see you, I also had a lovely days fishing catching plenty of carp on the pole and waggler.

A change from feeding 6mm pellets to 8mm had them queued up and taking confidently on the drop on the waggler as you saw when you come up to see me, however I couldn't tempt any shallow despite ringing the changes trying different depths. The good thing is they are now starting to look for feed so in two weeks time it's going to be very interesting.

See you soon :)