Two contrasting days, both good however.

Rick123

Site Supporter
A day on the Eye Kettleby lakes, lots of nice roach to about 14oz. Some on the pole, others on a 13' float rod with pole float close in. Maybe 40/50 fish.

Day two on the Trent, and fishing very light with a waggler then stick float. Again maybe 60 roach, but none above 6 ounces? Trent very clear and low, you can see maybe six feet down with glasses. Caster and hemp, then maggots later on why a dearth of better fish, I don't know? Thoughts?

rd350lc

Nice catches ! Does hemp or tares on the hook sort out the bigger fish ?

IanG1

Site Supporter
Nice catches ! Does hemp or tares on the hook sort out the bigger fish ?

My session this week and hemp sorted the bigger fish, put a tare on and I couldn't get a bite. As said the Trent is low and very clear and pike are having a field day, I played a good 6lb fish that took a roach on my new 17ft acolyte till it bit me off. Below was stamp on the hemp, much smaller on maggot or caster mate
IMG_20200930_133017.jpg

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
My session this week and hemp sorted the bigger fish, put a tare on and I couldn't get a bite.
Interestingly when fishing hemp throughout the summer I’d do much better with hemp on the hook numbers and stamp wise than my grandad would alongside me with tares on hook. Then on his last couple sessions on his own he’s fished hemp on the hook and done much better than he did on tares, every bit as well as I did on hemp. Just seems hemp gets you bites quicker and they get fully addicted to it, bit of the old fish what you feed rule I guess.

rd350lc

Concur with you both , never use tares myself but know loads that do .
Think it's something to do with them being easier to hook , less fiddly .
Nice stamp there Ian .
People will crucify me for this , but I prefer nice clear water for seed fishing.
Only thing is so does Mr pike .

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Concur with you both , never use tares myself but know loads that do .
Think it's something to do with them being easier to hook , less fiddly .
Nice stamp there Ian .
People will crucify me for this , but I prefer nice clear water for seed fishing.
Only thing is so does Mr pike .
I think you're right with the hooking being the reason some prefer tares but when hemp is cooked right it's just as easy to hook in my opinion.

And yeah you definitely want a bit of visibility. A nice tinge of colour is ideal for me but I'd take crystal clear over proper mucky stuff for seed fishing for sure. You don't want to be able to see the bottom 5ft down but being able to see a couple foot down is ideal for me. Hyped up pike are part and parcel of roach fishing especially when it's fairly clear!