Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustJon

Has anyone got any exciting links to twitter streams from people who regularly update on fishing, fish news, fish styles, methods news etc ?

Cricket has loads... how come I can't find any fishing ones? [:H]

chrisritch

Merchant Blanker
because theyre too busy fishing. besides, twitter is for unappealing virgins who want to hear what Stephen Fry has to say about being bummer and **** like that.

tag

Why anybody would even consider reading or using twitter beats me!
Load of garbage written by and read by sad attention seekers.
My advice, get a life, and go fishing!

grayggr

Twitter would actually be pretty useful fishing wise.

It's not all about individuals posting their mundane
Day to day activities like ''just madebreakfast

tag

Originally posted by grayggr

Why bother when all the information you might need is concentrated on one website devoted to fishing ?

grayggr

Ah stupid phone - pressed wrong button.

As I was saying it's not just for pointless tweets, and I certainly don't subscribe to any of those accounts.

I subscribe to several legal twitterers who regularly update their tweets with updated law links and such.

I play poker and follow a number of poker websites which update with links news,strategy etc in the poker world.

I'm also into gaming and again follow a number of gaming publications that link reviews to products,games, industry changing stuff all the time.

Fishing would suit this as well for eg if any of the major angling publications, websites, stockists, manufacturers had twitter accounts I could follow them to pick up the latest hot places to fish, tackle reviews, tips, etc all in one handy place without having to google and trawl the internet for it.

I think Twitter is misunderstood as some kind of trimmed down Facebook type site, and of course there are millions of users that do post when they have been to the toilet/dentist/shops etc, but there are some real gems out there that could benefit the angling community.

This board for example, has been a great place for me to discover getting back into fishing, and I bet around the mid to late 90's that if this was broached as a place for Anglers to meet it would be derided as rubbish and people would have been told to stop wasting time and get out there fishing!

When used properly Twitter is a powerful tool.

grayggr

Originally posted by tag

Originally posted by grayggr

Why bother when all the information you might need is concentrated on one website devoted to fishing ?

Because twice a day I check my Twitter account, and can instantly see what news is of interest to me without trawling through a site, typing searches etc etc, if the tweet interests me I go to the link if not I leave it. I get information from several different sources all in one place it's easy fast, easy and efficient.

I also regularly read other websites in any event, but that's because I'm an information junkie.

My point is I think Twitter is not fully appreciated by many who only see it as some kind of staging place for teens and attention seeking wanabees infecting us with useless drivel we have no need for, and that couldn't be further from the truth.

Of course IMHO.

grayggr

For eg I follow Anglersnet and they Tweeted the following this morning:

anglersnet
New Richard Walker Book Out Soon! - News Release From Watermeadow Books http://twurl.nl/mvw31i
about 4 hours ago via Anglers' Net

anglersnet
Wychwood Specimen Appoint Mick Barnes As New Brand Manager - News Release From Leeda http://twurl.nl/i8f5up
about 5 hours ago via Anglers' Net

anglersnet
50,000 Visitors Predicted At Evesham! - Evesham Festival News Release http://twurl.nl/rwp1yn
about 5 hours ago via Anglers' Net

James Dunn

James Dunn
Site Supporter
twitter and tweet ffs listen to yourselves lol like baby talk :)

JustJon

Thanks grayggr... i think by the looks of it most people still don't fully understand it...

JustJon

My ideal "Twitter List";

Anglers Mail - posting main story from current paper to make me go buy it, and what's "free" this week - match mag, carp mag or method feeder, whatever
Matchmansupplies or any other internet tackle shop - offers of the day/week, what's selling well, new stock etc
Venues, particularly local ones - good catches, new lakes or proposals, interesting stories, and MAINLY which lakes aren't match booked for the next day so I know where I can pleasure fish

All of this is advertising, but I want it because it interests me - it's directly applicable to my life and would make my fishing easier.

Yes, I'd rather be on the bank than reading twitter - but that's not always possible and many companies now use twitter to devestating effect for exactly examples like above. That's why the BBC have so many cricket pundits posting about cricket - it makes people turn the TV or Radio on - free advertising going directly to the audience that care!

The last time I used twitter as a tool, to look for a job. It works. But it's different and hasn't been embraced by everyone, clearly.

grayggr

No worries JustJon

If you type in 'Coarse Fishing' 'Angling Times' etc in the search bit you will see quite a few useful people to follow.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The problem with Twitter and Twitter'ers (is that the name lol) is comments like this:

Fishing would suit this as well for eg if any of the major angling publications, websites, stockists, manufacturers had twitter accounts I could follow them to pick up the latest hot places to fish, tackle reviews, tips, etc all in one handy place without having to Google and trawl the internet for it.

Surely the idea of using search engines in the first place is to search for the information you want across the whole of the internet?
If you rely upon others tweeting their information then you are limiting your knowledge to those twittering

Tbh, I can't abide either Facebook or Twitter and to me both are a massive wastes of time and daily I come across people who for one reason or another are so dependent on either or both their lives are based around them.
The art of conversation is being lost and more worryingly people now seem to be engrossed in written comments and take the written word literally - unfortunately written word is often mis-interpreted as there is no way of reading the writer's emotion when writing it.

Take for instance the following:

"Dave tweeted or F'booked: FFS get a life"

Does that mean I'm being nasty to you and telling you to get a life, or is it a comment made with humour as you would probably say to your mate face to face?
A simple comment like that can be read so many different ways and it's down to the reader's interpretation.

Anyroads, we were here first: http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forum/rss.asp [:p]

Status
Not open for further replies.