Twisted hooklength when feeder fishing - Swivel?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Feeder fishing today, had a Guru groundbait feeder running on a swivel, no boom, just look to loop for the hooklength. Frst cast with a worm on the hook, I wind in and my hooklength has spun round and twisted itself into a knot. It happened a few times throughout the day.

What's the answer? Is a swivel for the hooklength worth it as I imagine they can cause more tangles. Or am I setting my rig up wrong. Had a look at a few videos and all I can see I'm doing different is no twisted boom to keep the line away from the feeder.

jay67

Site Supporter
i found that i got more tangles using a swivel . i just use a twizzled boom and loop to loop for the hooklength , works much better for me

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Seems odd to me. I feeder fish a lot and always use a swivel, but I only use free running inline feeders. Not been twisted up at all. It could be the bait spinning on retrieve that's causing the twist in the hook length.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yeh that's it. I think the bait has spun around like a helicopter as I'm bringing it in. Was always told to hook maggots one through the head and one through the tail to stop it happening when fishing double maggot.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
It doesn't always work, as you have found out. That's the reason I use a swivel. You could try a slower retrieve.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I find a swivel does help. You could also maybe try a shorter hooklength.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Thinking about it, it did stop happening so much when I used a shorter hooklength. I went from about 2.5 foot to 1.5 foot. Reason being I was getting bites as I was tightening up to the feeder from small fish. I either wanted to hit more of them or get the bait to the deck quicker hoping for a better stamp. Not sure if it worked but tangles went down slightly.

What knots do people use for attaching mainline to a swivel?

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I use a blood knot but I’m completely self taught so it might not be the best. Doesn’t come undone anyway.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Worms I always hook through the band and tipped with a maggot to stop it curling itself over the hook. Definitely spins when bringing in from deep water though.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Hook the worm close to the head as you can then again as close to the end of the tail,cut half way between in the middle of the worm and that should cure your twisting.

Trailblazer

Account Locked
The faster you wind in the more twist you'll get, might be worth slowing down a little.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
What knots do people use for attaching mainline to a swivel?

Tucked half blood knot. Very simple and strong...

grey

Site Supporter
Tucked half blood knot. Very simple and strong...

Try a palomar knot for swivels to mainline: it's stronger and smaller than the blood knot; quicker and even easier to tie!

For the hooklink, I simply tie a figure of eight and attach to the swivel lasso-style

PP123

I use the Pickerings twisted boom rig but I add a tiny link swivel into the loop to attach the hooklength