twenty years away from the bank

Status
Not open for further replies.

zingaro

[blue]just called in to the local tackle shop (supermarket/aladins cave )expanding baits! imatation bread! plastic sweetcorn! RUBBER MAGGOTS!!!! what is happening all I wanted was some live maggots and bits and bobs. I would appreciate some suggestions on where to, and after my long absence from the water how to FISH. some good advice ie shot pattens? the method? whats fishing well where is fishing well, I think that covers it for the minute, oh yes by the way the location is wigan so some local waters and tips on them would really be great thanks tight lines to all.

norm

your not bloody shy lol

1 question at a time mate and i am sure you will get some answers

welcome to the site and have fun.
norm

Datafile4.asp

Beebs

Hello mate. I returned last year after a break of about 15 years and after going through all the rubbish - not much has changed really. Fish still eat maggots, casters will generally get you a better stamp of fish. My mate caught more fish on worm than anything else yesterday including his first barbel. I trotted maggots and pulled out a load of perch, roach and dace. Sweetcorn still catches carp, tench and bream by the bucketfull and luncheon meat is still my first weapon on an unknown water.

There's a shed load of different bait out there at the moment and if all you want to do is fish to enjoy it, get a float rod, a pint of maggots and start off there. Don't get overawed by the amount of stuff in the tackle shops these days because most of it is sh1te and the rest is the same stuff but by different manufacturers. Keep it simple and experiment as time goes on.

Lid

Welcome to MD's zingaro and welcome back to angling! I too stopped fishing for about 20 years, apart from the odd dabble and a small flurry in about 1988!! I only started again properly last summer.

I don't think you'll go far wrong with Beebs advice. The biggest change I think is the rise of the commercial fishery. There are now loads. Personally I rarely fish them because I prefer a bit of solitude, but they do look well worth a visit, especially for a re-starter.

Tight lines.

Lid [:)]

Last edited:

ray

hiya roy, glad you found it, hope you enjoy it.

just off to welsh wales to slay some dragons will catch ya later.

ray.

prepare your meat at home and bin the tin.
"clean banks campaign"

rbracewell

Welcome back to fishing

Ive been fishing about a week or so now after a break of 13 years or so. I was amazed by all the stuff in shops these days.

In the end I just plumped for some plain old maggots (mixed) and casters and enjoyed 4 days of fishing like I remember it. Landed roach, perch, skimmers, rudd and a little gudgeon.

This wkend I am going prepared with a few other baits to try them out. Have sweetcorn, hemp and worms to try out.

I also joined a local club in Cambridgeshire which then has rights to several lakes and river stretches so no more day passes which can mount up over time.

--
RoB

maxwell_hung

caster blaster
Just going back to the original post, I'd hear to peoples thoughts on whether they have used these fake baits and whether you think there are any safety issues regarding them.

I'm all for making life a bit easier for us anglers but surely it's no great hardship to change your bait occasionally, especially when we don't know whether the fake baits are safe for the fish or not.

Beebs

quote:Originally posted by maxwell_hung

Just going back to the original post, I'd hear to peoples thoughts on whether they have used these fake baits and whether you think there are any safety issues regarding them.

I'm all for making life a bit easier for us anglers but surely it's no great hardship to change your bait occasionally, especially when we don't know whether the fake baits are safe for the fish or not.

I've used fake sweetcorn with quite a bit of success. I think they're perfectly safe to use. I haven't lost a piece of fake bait yet (although I must admit I use naturals more) but am pretty sure that if a fish did eat some, it would pass straight through without causing the fish any harm. Fake baits also stay on the hook better.

Floater

I haven't tried the fake baits yet but generally always take a pint of mixed colour maggots wherever I'm fishing. You will always catch something with maggots. Sweetcorn is a cheap second choice, take a tin with you (dont forget an opener) and if you don't need it keep it for next time, no waste. Luncheon meat is a good option if there are carp, and there are carp everywhere these days. Forget the pastes and seeds and other exotics until you are more acclimatised and have found some favourite waters and gained some experience of them. There are too many choices of groundbait so try a simple brown crumb and add a few castors and corn or chopped worm for starters then experiment later.
Two main methods of fishing that covers most situations is the old float, stick or waggler, and the feeder. The 'new' method feeders are open 'spirals' which you mold a pasty feed around rather than the older cage type which you fill with a more loose feed. Methods are banned on some commercial waters though. Shot patterns for floats have changed mainly due to the introduction of the loaded waggler, floats with built in weight. They only require small tell-tale shot. Hooks of course are now barbless. Don't get too concerned with 'tackle tart' equipment, bite alarms, bivvies, pods and the one-species obsession tackle some anglers go for.
Start off by visiting a few commercial fisheries and have a polite chat to both the owners and any anglers there. Decide where you like the look of and go monday to wednedsay when it is quieter and you can practice your techniques or move around without annoying anyone.
Wigan area eh? well Wigan Anglers have a lot of good waters as do Warrington Anglers in your area, check out their websites. Otherwise try any of the commercials on my website, Hambleton, Hudsons, Lyndhurst or Copthorne will almost guarantee you a good day out.

For all angling on the Fylde see http://www.angling-northwest.co.uk

Colin Payne

I too returned to fishing a while back after a few years break and also found the new equipment pretty daunting. So I tried a bit of everything. I've mainly done it on the cheap, but I have a pole, 2 feeder rods, 2 carp rods and reels, and a float rod. The most expensive bit was 59+ postage for the carp gear. Of coarse I've found most of my new adventures come on the good old float rod. I was advised to try prawns and cockles(fresh,not in vinegar) as alternative baits and have had some nice carp and tench on these on the float. An 8 and 3/4lb carp on a 2 and 1/2lb hooklink reminds you how to play a fish I can tell you!! One of the best things you can do I reckon is subscribe to Improve Your Coarse Fishing. This mag has given me so much info. Best of all though is don't be intimidated by all this new stuff. If you're happy catching gudgeon and dace on an old rod and reel then so be it.

Apache

Welcome to the madhouse by the way zingaro

------------------------------
Tight Lines,

Datafile4.asp

Datafile4.asp

Heathlands Angling Club - http://www.heathlandsanglingclub.8m.comPinkieDrowner's Forum (Under 18's only) - http://www.maggotdrowning.com/younguns

Roppa

Welcome back to our noble sport Roy and welcome to MD's. All sound advice from the lad's but I think the best thing to do is join a local club. As the lads have said keep it simple to get a few bites at first I'm sure if it's a friendly Club you'll get a bit of help from your new found mates and don't overlook the wealth of help you'll get just for the asking on here.

zingaro

Thanks guys I will be joining a local club in the near future,since posting my many questions (hi Norm Magpie maccum or smogie by the way) I have only managed 3 hours at the bankside due to working ot, and for the first half hour I had lots of knocks but not takes then one of the local lads turned up,( do this do that )2 mins later a tench then another and so on until darkness forced my reluctant return home (THANKS TO KENNY)I had a good evening 10 tench upto a pound was Ken just lucky for me OR had I been fishing wrong the latter is the reason,regarding the fake baits I do not think that any of these imposters will ever make it in to my tackle box, any way thanks for taking the time to reply to the post and hope you all have tight lines bent rods and bulging nets regards Roy............

Status
Not open for further replies.