TV programmes snubbed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

maximus

I don't know if this subject has already been covered on here, I know it is going around the forums at the moment though, so I thought we should have it on Maggotdrowners to reach a wider audience.

Channel 5 snubs Hugh Miles series

Robson Green 'angling travelogue' preferred!

Channel 5 has snubbed award-winning cameraman Hugh Miles and Martin Bowlers long-awaited series Catching the Impossible , yet commissioned a four-part angling travelogue series with Soldier Soldier star Robson Green.

To add insult to injury, Hugh has also revealed that he has yet to receive any interest from the remaining terrestrial TV stations for his eight-part extravaganza, which has taken four-and-a-half years to film and received rave reviews at advance screenings.

Hugh, who has won three Baftas and numerous Emmy awards for his work, said: Its sad that modern TV executives fail to see the huge potential that well made angling programmes have to attract big audiences in the UK millions of viewers are missing out because of their lack of vision and courage.

Fifteen years ago when we made A Passion for Angling, the BBC had the courage to give me my head. The success of that ser ies speaks volumes : audiences started at 1.7 million, and peaked at 6.3 million. The BBC showed it five times in seven years. With Catching the Impossible, I can barely get anyone to look at it.

Angling legend John Wilson, who made 108 programmes in his Go Fishing series, has been left speechless by the TV executives decision to shun Catching the Impossible in favour of celebrity offerings.

This makes me very disillusioned and angry. One of the best film makers in the world, and one of the UKs leading fishermen, are being forced to go cap in hand to executives in a bid to get airtime for perhaps the most beautiful fishing and wildlife programme ever made. Its no good the executives saying theres no market for it angling is our biggest participation sport! said John.

Robson Green is an actor, not a fisherman. Whats next? John Wilson presents ice skating? Im just glad Im 65 and not 35 because I wouldnt stand a chance of making a living out of being a fishing TV presenter nowadays.

Meanwhile, Five has defended its decision to go down the celebrity route by saying they are trying to reach as wide a cross-section of viewers as possible, and not just anglers.

A spokesman said: Robson is a perfect fit for the series because of his passion and knowledge of angling. The series is aimed at males of all ages, but the popularity of Robson will ensure it appeals to other target audiences. We are always looking at new ideas for the channel and will continue to do so once this series has been on air.

Absolutely Terrible, I feel so sorry for Hugh Miles and so annoyed at the TV bosses[:(!].

maximus

Sorry, I hadn't looked on fishing talk yet this morning. Too late now anyway I think the more publicity this gets the better. Even my young lad is moaning about it because I emailed Hugh Miles directly when I heard he was making the series and he was nice enough to reply and tell me what the series consisted of. Now it looks like I'll just have to buy the DVD of it.

We pay our TV licence why?

groundhog

Life Survivor
[:)] I know I'm Biased maximus mate, but I'd rather watch a GOOD angling programme, than watch cricket snooker or darts, programmes which to me are like watching paint dry,unfortunatly angling has always been the one sport T.V. Has ignored, even the sports personality of the year programmes, have always shied away from the acheivements of the England team and Bob Nudd Alan Scotthorne and the likes.
I would like you, however to see hugh's latest work aired,and also angling given EQUAL air time as with other sports, but alas it may be a case of live in hope die in despair.
Regards G.H.

fishlass

Account Locked
Would also like to see this on tv but think maybe the makers have gone about this "back to front".
Before investing such a huge amount of time, money and effort it would have made sense to have a buyer before starting work in the same way that Channel 5 have "commissioned" a series with Robson Green.

midge99

I think the muppets at C5 think because Robson G is a name he will get a bigger audiance, sorry but it's not for me, I would much rather watch Martin Bowler and learn something

matty1967

I think one of the main reasons fishing is snubbed by the terestrial cannels is because it is viewed as very much a working class sport!, take golf for example;anglers outnumber golfers by about 4 to 1 yet golf gets hours and hours of coverage, why?...because it generates loads of money from sponsors etc..also golf is very much a middle class pastime...
What fishing needs is one unified body to promote angling on all fronts using all forms of media, generate sponsorship from outside of angling, 3000 spectators turned out for fishomania, we need more of these high profile events all over the country....
One of the main stumbling blocks to a unified body is that no two anglers can agree on anything, angling needs to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century, or else programmes such as the brilliant Catching the Impossible will be destined for the discovery channel and not the wider audience it should have!!!
Maybe we should start a petition to get this on the BBC!

BAG UP

SINGLE RED
The problem we got is as no one else has heard on Martin outside fishing then they are taking a chance if they do air it.

matty1967

i wonder wheather Matt Heyes or John Wilson would of faired any better had they made this programme and not Martin Bowler..as you say bag up, know one outside of angling has heard of him, that would soon change if this programme was given the airing it deserves...maybe they should got David Attenborough to do the voice over??...

Status
Not open for further replies.