Turned out nice again.....

Stewie74

Site Supporter
As a fully employed member of society, and a relative newcomer (returner) to fishing, weekends are the only time (other than annual leave) that I can get out on the bank.

However, when the weather forecast is for heavy rain all day and 20mph winds, even my motivation is tempered to a certain degree. As was the case last night when I watched the forecast get gradually worse for this morning.

Decided to go anyway, and when I woke this at 545 the forecast had improved very slightly, with heavy rain forecast until noon, then light showers, with a possibility of a break in the rain in the afternoon.

The venue was my club lake at Bordeaux Pit, but I'd decided to fish the smaller of the two lakes for a change of scenery. Plus I wanted to have another go at using my newly acquired pole, and my shiny new seatbox (slightly less shiny than its first outing yesterday).

As per the forecast, when I arrived at just after 7 it was raining. Not really what I'd call heavy, but noticeable. Still, I had my full wetsuit on (waterproof Daiwa suit, not an actual wetsuit), and I had a big umbrella, and it would give me the opportunity to try out the new brolly arm I'd purchased in the week.

The plan was to fish on the pole for the first half of the day, then switch to the feeder this afternoon. I'm still sans pole rollers (more on this later), however the peg i'd picked was slightly sunken, so I managed to fashion a functional set-up using the flat bank behind me and a butt rest as a pole roost.

Unpacking my stuff in the stiffening rain ( it had developed into heavy rain by the time I got sorted), I realised I'd forgotten the micros that I'd prepared this morning, but never mind I had some more in the bag. So out came the pole, red maggots as hook bait and feed, and off we went. Now bear in mind I'd spent 6 hours float fishing (rod and reel) yesterday, with 2 bites, one of which I missed, the other resulted in a small skimmer, so not the best day I've ever had. My expectations were low, it was more about getting used to the seatbox and shipping the pole in and out.

Plumbed up just short of 8m directly in front, in line with a tree opposite which served as both a marker and a shadow to drop my float into and render it visible. The wind was getting up a bit and there was a fair ripple on the water. Decided to limit my attempts to just one swim for both these reasons, and to keep things as simple as possible.

Feeding a few maggots by catapult every few minutes (not sure if this was right, didn't want to overfeed), and lifting and dropping every couple of minutes as well, I had my first bite after about 10 minutes, and a small roach was hooked and landed. A few more followed over the next hour, I missed quite a few bites but after 90 minutes I'd caught 8 fish and missed 7 bites. Nothing more than 6oz, a mixture of roach and perch. Good sport, and very good practice at hitting bites.

Weather check, raining steadily, gusty wind.

I had a small pot of dendrabenas in the bait bag which I'd bought to try out, so I switched my hookbait, and put a worm tail on the hook, which resulted in an almost immediate bite from another perch. I missed a few bites, and had a couple of fish hooked but then lost. I decided to see if I could use a feed pot, so I chopped up a couple of worms into small pieces, put some of the soil from the wormpot in and pushed it down a bit to try to stop it from coming out before I got it to the target area. My thinking here was that it should produce a bit of a cloud which might attract some fish. Again, not sure of the validity of this assertion, but why not give it a try.

As I turned over the pot and dunked it in the water to try to free the contents, I think it did what I'd intended, and it resulted in a slightly bigger perch a couple minutes later. I repeated the tactic a few times over the next hour or so, and had lots of bites and 7 more little fish, all perch, all 4-6oz ish, including one that took the worm whilst I was still shipping the pole out. Greedy little git, I'm sure the worm was closer to its backend than its mouth as I retrieved the hook.

Weather check, still raining but noticeably lighter and less breezy.

All good fun and games, and at 1130 my backside had had enough of sitting on my new box, so I went for a little walk around the big lake to stretch out a bit and try to let the numbness subside. The rain had all but stopped, although it was still quite breezy.

When I returned some 20 minutes or so later, the weather had taken a turn for the better, much better in fact.

IMG_0266.jpg

My plan was to get the feeder rod out, so that's what I did. I'd prepared some more micros before my stroll, however I may have put slightly too much water in them, as they were still a bit wet. Not to worry I thought, I had a half bag of groundbait in the bait box which I could use to dry them out a bit. Now strictly speaking groundbait is not allowed on the club lakes, however having spoken to the bailiff a couple of weeks back he said a bit mixed in with micros is fine, they just don't want kilo's of it going in. 5 minutes later we were ready to go. I was targeting the reedy margin to my right, about 25 yards away.

IMG_0267.jpg

So started the more relaxing second half of the session, I only had a couple of hours as I wanted to leave at 2 to get home, showered, fed etc before the final round of The Masters started, with a liberal sprinkling of NFL to follow, accompanied by a few beers and a nice Rioja for later.

10 minute casts to start with, was well chuffed with my casting today, apart from one which only reached about halfway to my target for some reason, my landing zone was much smaller than previous sessions. Might just be a psychological thing, but I felt that the box setup with the rod and the feeder arm just worked better than the chair. I also loved having pretty much everything within arms reach.

IMG_0268.jpg

A couple of twitches on the third cast got my interest, but nothing developed. I stuck at it, and was just enjoying the sunshine, the sun was actually quite warm when the wind dropped.

I logged into the forum to post in the Bad Weather thread from yesterday, now feeling rather pleased that I'd decided to come out this morning, I also had a couple of responses in a Wanted thread I'd posted for some pole rollers, a particularly interesting one from @chefster caught my eye, and I was approximately halfway through sending a PM for some additional info when I noticed that my rod was being forcibly removed from the rests. Nearly threw my iphone in the lake in my blind panic, but just managed to hold onto it as well as holding my rod in the other hand. This rather boisterous chap delayed the sending of said PM by a few minutes (sorry Gazza!!)

IMG_0269.jpg

A beautiful and very solid little F1, which tipped the scales at a couple of ounces shy of 4lb.

Over the course of the next hour I had 4 more F1s all slightly smaller than the first, and I lost a bigger carp at the net, when it bolted into the reeds to my left and slipped the hook. Still, I forgot my disappointment fairly rapidly whilst thanking my lucky stars after the feeder and hook very narrowly missed my right ear as it pinged out of the carps mouth and got tangled on a very thick and spiky thornbush behind me.

Once disentangled, I had time (and just enough pellets) for a couple of last casts whilst packing up, however nothing materialised.

Packed up, hit the road just before 2 as planned, and I'm now sitting watching The Masters, beer in hand, really chuffed that I took the decision to go this morning despite a dodgy weather forecast. Glad I experimented a bit, glad I had a far far better day than yesterday.

In fact, I would probably count today as my best day's fishing since I returned to the sport. I didn't catch my biggest fish, but I really really enjoyed myself.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading 👍

Stewie

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
As a fully employed member of society, and a relative newcomer (returner) to fishing, weekends are the only time (other than annual leave) that I can get out on the bank.

However, when the weather forecast is for heavy rain all day and 20mph winds, even my motivation is tempered to a certain degree. As was the case last night when I watched the forecast get gradually worse for this morning.

Decided to go anyway, and when I woke this at 545 the forecast had improved very slightly, with heavy rain forecast until noon, then light showers, with a possibility of a break in the rain in the afternoon.

The venue was my club lake at Bordeaux Pit, but I'd decided to fish the smaller of the two lakes for a change of scenery. Plus I wanted to have another go at using my newly acquired pole, and my shiny new seatbox (slightly less shiny than its first outing yesterday).

As per the forecast, when I arrived at just after 7 it was raining. Not really what I'd call heavy, but noticeable. Still, I had my full wetsuit on (waterproof Daiwa suit, not an actual wetsuit), and I had a big umbrella, and it would give me the opportunity to try out the new brolly arm I'd purchased in the week.

The plan was to fish on the pole for the first half of the day, then switch to the feeder this afternoon. I'm still sans pole rollers (more on this later), however the peg i'd picked was slightly sunken, so I managed to fashion a functional set-up using the flat bank behind me and a butt rest as a pole roost.

Unpacking my stuff in the stiffening rain ( it had developed into heavy rain by the time I got sorted), I realised I'd forgotten the micros that I'd prepared this morning, but never mind I had some more in the bag. So out came the pole, red maggots as hook bait and feed, and off we went. Now bear in mind I'd spent 6 hours float fishing (rod and reel) yesterday, with 2 bites, one of which I missed, the other resulted in a small skimmer, so not the best day I've ever had. My expectations were low, it was more about getting used to the seatbox and shipping the pole in and out.

Plumbed up just short of 8m directly in front, in line with a tree opposite which served as both a marker and a shadow to drop my float into and render it visible. The wind was getting up a bit and there was a fair ripple on the water. Decided to limit my attempts to just one swim for both these reasons, and to keep things as simple as possible.

Feeding a few maggots by catapult every few minutes (not sure if this was right, didn't want to overfeed), and lifting and dropping every couple of minutes as well, I had my first bite after about 10 minutes, and a small roach was hooked and landed. A few more followed over the next hour, I missed quite a few bites but after 90 minutes I'd caught 8 fish and missed 7 bites. Nothing more than 6oz, a mixture of roach and perch. Good sport, and very good practice at hitting bites.

Weather check, raining steadily, gusty wind.

I had a small pot of dendrabenas in the bait bag which I'd bought to try out, so I switched my hookbait, and put a worm tail on the hook, which resulted in an almost immediate bite from another perch. I missed a few bites, and had a couple of fish hooked but then lost. I decided to see if I could use a feed pot, so I chopped up a couple of worms into small pieces, put some of the soil from the wormpot in and pushed it down a bit to try to stop it from coming out before I got it to the target area. My thinking here was that it should produce a bit of a cloud which might attract some fish. Again, not sure of the validity of this assertion, but why not give it a try.

As I turned over the pot and dunked it in the water to try to free the contents, I think it did what I'd intended, and it resulted in a slightly bigger perch a couple minutes later. I repeated the tactic a few times over the next hour or so, and had lots of bites and 7 more little fish, all perch, all 4-6oz ish, including one that took the worm whilst I was still shipping the pole out. Greedy little git, I'm sure the worm was closer to its backend than its mouth as I retrieved the hook.

Weather check, still raining but noticeably lighter and less breezy.

All good fun and games, and at 1130 my backside had had enough of sitting on my new box, so I went for a little walk around the big lake to stretch out a bit and try to let the numbness subside. The rain had all but stopped, although it was still quite breezy.

When I returned some 20 minutes or so later, the weather had taken a turn for the better, much better in fact.

View attachment 88323

My plan was to get the feeder rod out, so that's what I did. I'd prepared some more micros before my stroll, however I may have put slightly too much water in them, as they were still a bit wet. Not to worry I thought, I had a half bag of groundbait in the bait box which I could use to dry them out a bit. Now strictly speaking groundbait is not allowed on the club lakes, however having spoken to the bailiff a couple of weeks back he said a bit mixed in with micros is fine, they just don't want kilo's of it going in. 5 minutes later we were ready to go. I was targeting the reedy margin to my right, about 25 yards away.

View attachment 88324

So started the more relaxing second half of the session, I only had a couple of hours as I wanted to leave at 2 to get home, showered, fed etc before the final round of The Masters started, with a liberal sprinkling of NFL to follow, accompanied by a few beers and a nice Rioja for later.

10 minute casts to start with, was well chuffed with my casting today, apart from one which only reached about halfway to my target for some reason, my landing zone was much smaller than previous sessions. Might just be a psychological thing, but I felt that the box setup with the rod and the feeder arm just worked better than the chair. I also loved having pretty much everything within arms reach.

View attachment 88325

A couple of twitches on the third cast got my interest, but nothing developed. I stuck at it, and was just enjoying the sunshine, the sun was actually quite warm when the wind dropped.

I logged into the forum to post in the Bad Weather thread from yesterday, now feeling rather pleased that I'd decided to come out this morning, I also had a couple of responses in a Wanted thread I'd posted for some pole rollers, a particularly interesting one from @chefster caught my eye, and I was approximately halfway through sending a PM for some additional info when I noticed that my rod was being forcibly removed from the rests. Nearly threw my iphone in the lake in my blind panic, but just managed to hold onto it as well as holding my rod in the other hand. This rather boisterous chap delayed the sending of said PM by a few minutes (sorry Gazza!!)

View attachment 88326

A beautiful and very solid little F1, which tipped the scales at a couple of ounces shy of 4lb.

Over the course of the next hour I had 4 more F1s all slightly smaller than the first, and I lost a bigger carp at the net, when it bolted into the reeds to my left and slipped the hook. Still, I forgot my disappointment fairly rapidly whilst thanking my lucky stars after the feeder and hook very narrowly missed my right ear as it pinged out of the carps mouth and got tangled on a very thick and spiky thornbush behind me.

Once disentangled, I had time (and just enough pellets) for a couple of last casts whilst packing up, however nothing materialised.

Packed up, hit the road just before 2 as planned, and I'm now sitting watching The Masters, beer in hand, really chuffed that I took the decision to go this morning despite a dodgy weather forecast. Glad I experimented a bit, glad I had a far far better day than yesterday.

In fact, I would probably count today as my best day's fishing since I returned to the sport. I didn't catch my biggest fish, but I really really enjoyed myself.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading 👍

Stewie
Well done mate 👍some of the harder sessions can be very rewarding as I’ve discovered lately whilst pleasure fishing, as matches are banned at the moment 🤷‍♂️Great write up of your day, I love reading about your exploits and enthusiasm, when most of us are just moaning about the weather 👍👍😂

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Well done mate 👍some of the harder sessions can be very rewarding as I’ve discovered lately whilst pleasure fishing, as matches are banned at the moment 🤷‍♂️Great write up of your day, I love reading about your exploits and enthusiasm, when most of us are just moaning about the weather 👍👍😂
Thanks 👍 I like to write it down so I can remember it in the days and months to come, hopefully in a while I'll be able to look back and see that I've made progress.

Oh, I'm just about to send you a PM about those rollers. I'm in front of the telly this time, so it shouldn't be delayed like this afternoons effort. It was a nice fish though 😂😂😂

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Nice looking little lake that 👍🏻 fair play getting out today was too strong a chilly wind for me!
It is, some of the pegs are a bit tight, but others a more spacious. It's hardly fished to be honest, most people head straight for the big lake next to it. I think I'll be fishing it a bit more often in future.
Nice report of a good days fishing 👍.

That looks like a small common carp not an F1, from the body shape and barbule.
Thanks, and you may be right, I'm pretty new to all this and they look pretty similar :giggle:

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
Nice little write up Stewie. Well fished and I’m glad you got your rewards for sticking at it on a naff day!!
Nice box setup too.👍

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Nice little write up Stewie. Well fished and I’m glad you got your rewards for sticking at it on a naff day!!
Nice box setup too.👍
Thank you.

The box will take some getting used to, my backside feels like I've done the Tour de France at the moment, but I think the transition from chair to box will be beneficial in the long run.