Turkey

crackatoa

Site Supporter
The West is going to have to step in soon. Erdogan is killing civilians, bombing hospitals and liberating ISIS.

And they have killed a woman leader of a Kurdish political party that have nothing to do with the PKK, this is basically genocide already

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Got to feel for the Kurds given they are in the same boat as the Israelies in that they are stuck in an area surrounded by nations that hate them. Without those two races that part of the world would be over run with Islamist extremists.

Turkey is an awful place run by nutters so none of their actions have surprised me. I did EU and Human Rights law modules at uni and all the worst human rights breaches we studied were committed by the Turks. Never understood why people go on holiday there as by doing so you fund the nutters plus it's far from the safest place anyway! Anyway rant over in summary I agree with all the above that their actions have been disgraceful.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
The Turks have been persecuting the Kurds for many years. Officially, the modern conflict between them has been going, off and on, since 1978. I have been involved in military operations to protect the Northern Iraq/Syrian Kurds from Syrian, Iraqi and Turkish forces. Those operations predated any official conflict in Syria, or the rise of ISIS, by a long time.

The whole of the Middle East is, to use military parlance, FUBAR. However, it's been that way for millennia. The Christian West meddling certainly hasn't helped over those millennia, but it would still be a bloody mess if it had done nothing. The whole region is a melting pot of tribal and religious divisions. Borders mean very little unless some rather unpleasant dictators impose ruthless control over whatever population exists within those borders.

Anything the West could possibly do will be unacceptable to one or more country/party. Any imposition will only end up being thought of in the same manner as the initial creation of Israel and Iraq, or the conflict that removed Saddam Hussein. Realistically, there's nothing that we could possibly do militarily that won't result in the deaths of thousands. Whatever we could do will not stop further conflict further down the line.

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
Humpy Trumpy had a hotel, Humpies hotei was hit by a shell, All Humpies soldiers, and all of Humpies men , Couldn't put the hotel together again ! Sorry, just had to type that ! lol

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I heard it on the news that a 9 month old baby lost their life in the bombing. I had to get up and put the kettle on at that point. Very upsetting.