Tucked away and almost forgotten about.

RMNDIL

But there are some I specifically keep for nostalgia, including......................shakey alpha match, the 1801 with white, ribbed handle,
You still have an Alpha. The orange translucent one ? One day i'd like to pick one up just to remind me of what they were like and to see if they were as stiff (without the black top) and as heavy as I suspect they were (brilliant in their day mind).

White ribbed handle ? Might that be a Shakespeare WonderMatch ?? Or was that black ribbed ?

davepellet

Yes, but I’ve got to confess it’s not my original one... I saved for months when I was young to afford one, but it eventually got sold when I dropped fishing in favour of pubs, girls & football..,

Had a bout of nostalgia (still have it) about 10 years ago and found all the rods and reels I owned in my youth on eBay, and bought them all.

The Alpha is the translucent amber ‘Polyestel’ model, and yes it’s heavy & very poker-like. The 1801 was the wondermatch, the black handle version was the wonderquiver, with the spliced quivertip.

Next time you’re passing R, pop in and you can marvel at the delights of antiquity....!

Foul hooked

Here was i thinking that i was the only one who hated throwing stuff out. Having been out of the scene for many years when i decided to get back into fishing properly last year i went through my float box and found a coupe of canal greys, a 5bb zoomer, makin stillwater blues and even a couple of Ivan Marks stick floats that must be 45 years old. Used one the other week and worked as good as new and caught a few fish with it. Wish i still had my old Abu closed face (it was the one with the pinkish coloured spool cover (501 i think) and i absolutely loved that reel back in the day. Still using an old Diawa 1600x black diamond that i bought in the seventies despite the fact that the bail arm auto close doesn't work (think the cam has broken but don't dare take it apart to look and probably couldn't get spares anyway) and it still runs as smoothly as ever. There is an old original persuader glass feeder rod somewhere in the garage too (minus most of its rings).
Funny how we get used to stuff and feel comfortable using it even after all the years. That said not all of my kit is antique, i do like buying new stuff too and used my brand new (thank you Santa) Shimano ST2500 FB the other day for the first time too.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
@Peter -
Didn't a variant of that Sundridge Compalite float have a hollow plastic straw tip, with a hole at the base?
I'm sure I have a couple of examples somewhere.
The theory was that water would enter the hollow tip, allowing it to sink very slowly and making it more sensitive.
Absolute rubbish, of course. Surface tension kept the water out of the tip, so the hole made no difference at all.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
@Peter -
Didn't a variant of that Sundridge Compalite float have a hollow plastic straw tip, with a hole at the base?
I'm sure I have a couple of examples somewhere.
The theory was that water would enter the hollow tip, allowing it to sink very slowly and making it more sensitive.
Absolute rubbish, of course. Surface tension kept the water out of the tip, so the hole made no difference at all.
No mate, I think you may be confusing them with some floats marketed with the name "Carbonite" if I remember correctly. ;)