Tucked away and almost forgotten about.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
After reading @Silverfisher 's post "How much tackle you got" I wondered just how accurate some of those lists were. If like me you've been fishing for a good few years there's probably a good few with stuff tucked away that hasn't seen the light of day for a good few years. Bit's of kit that you meant to move on but never got round to, stuff that just got relegated as your style of fishing changed.
I'm not talking rubbish bits that didn't do their job and deserved nothing but the bin but perfectly serviceable bits and pieces that maybe just went out of style of got superseded by the next latest/greatest must have that we are all susceptible when we wander into a tackle shop for a pint of maggots and come out of there only to find that we have somehow parted with considerably more than the cost of that original pint of maggots. :ROFLMAO:

Anyway this morning I'm putting some stuff up in the loft for Mrs M and out of the corner I spy a box marked "Odds & Sods", it's been up there since we moved and as It's an old box was probably packed long before we moved anyway. Yep you've guessed, bits and bobs of tackle amongst the other stuff in there.

Exibit 1 your honour, a Daiwa 120M closed face reel, put away in it's pouch in gawd knows when along with a spare spool, but the line might just need replacing..........

Daiwa 120M.JPG
Then a box with a good 100+ floats that for some reason got consigned to the land of the forgotten........................

Drennan Carp Crystal.JPG
Drennan Carp Crystals that probably made way for Pellet Wagglers

Fox Dave Coster Shallow Waggler.JPG
Fox Dave Coster Shallow Water Wagglers

Sundridge Compalite wagglers.JPG
Sundridge Compalite Wagglers

Drennan Zoomer and Ultra Onion.JPG
Drennan Zoomer and an Ultra Onion

Drennan Balsa Antenna and Canal Grey.JPG
Drennan Balsa Antenna and a Drennan Canal Grey

Billy Makin Grey.JPG
Billy Makin Greys
All of the above forgotten about as time has marched on but some of them will definitely be coming out of retirement in the months that lie ahead. :upthumb:

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I've just been having a sort out as well & putting some bits in a box that I don't need. I'll leave them at the club hut for juniors or anyone else to help themselves to.
However, I came across a small set of "orange syringes" that came with the job lot of tackle I bought. Always wondered what the hell they were used for. Turns out they're Frenzee bread punches :ROFLMAO:
I'm made up because I was going to buy a set of those new Matrix ones. Tenner saved!!

dave the fish

Site Supporter
Im sure we can all do the same. I know I have 2x Abu 501s, 2x 1044s and an Abu 506 stashed away at the bottom of the cupboard plus a number of extra long wagglers and big pole floats bought for Ireland over 20 years ago. I wonder if @Dave Spence needs any.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I have some makin canal greys and a set of Image balsa wagglers, the ones with a peg at the bottom.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Having only been fishing 16-17 years I'm confident my list is about 90% complete. That said since I did it its occurred to me that's there an I think okuma reel in amongst my stuff that I hadn't listed and pretty sure I had a carpy type rod as well at some point 🤔

Also the stuff I listed is what I've got at mostly our house with a few bits at my grandparents coastal bolt hole but when we moved to this house a couple years ago all my gear went in my grandparents garage at their actual house down the street for a few months. When I transferred it over to our place I was obviously only looking for stuff I knew that I had so there's no doubt the odd random thing still at my grandparents as I've already found the odd thing since.

To confuse matters further when my uncle got divorced his and my cousins tackle got put in my grandparents garage at their old house and when he got his new place he only recollected what he knew he had so there's still some of their stuff in my grandparents current garage. All the tackle in that garage also spent time in the garage of our old house when my grandparents moved house a while back.

Therefore all that considered I still occasionally find bits of my grandad's, uncle's and cousin's tackle amongst my tackle and grandad often finds bits of my uncle's, cousin's and occasionally my tackle amongst his tackle!

So like I say I'm sure of about 90% of what I have but occasionally something else reappears 😅

trotter2

Im sure we can all do the same. I know I have 2x Abu 501s, 2x 1044s and an Abu 506 stashed away at the bottom of the cupboard plus a number of extra long wagglers and big pole floats bought for Ireland over 20 years ago. I wonder if @Dave Spence needs any.
Mite of interest in your 501s if your selling 👍

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Told you that I've always looked after my kit Mick. :upthumb:
I think my one needs some more of that pipe cleaner stuff putting around the spools. Other than that it works fine. Wish it was a bit quicker on the retrieve though. 👍

Reuben

Site Supporter
I’d be interested in some of those floats if you ever get the urge to clear out.....

Zerkalo

I've got a couple of those Drennan Carp Crystals but can't remember using them much. My Canal Greys are long gone. Looking through what I have left of pole floats from 20 years ago I have a few Preston Tysons I used to use quite a bit, or at least they were similar to them, and it looks like they still do some of those. I doubt I would use them again now.

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
After reading @Silverfisher 's post "How much tackle you got" I wondered just how accurate some of those lists were. If like me you've been fishing for a good few years there's probably a good few with stuff tucked away that hasn't seen the light of day for a good few years. Bit's of kit that you meant to move on but never got round to, stuff that just got relegated as your style of fishing changed.
I'm not talking rubbish bits that didn't do their job and deserved nothing but the bin but perfectly serviceable bits and pieces that maybe just went out of style of got superseded by the next latest/greatest must have that we are all susceptible when we wander into a tackle shop for a pint of maggots and come out of there only to find that we have somehow parted with considerably more than the cost of that original pint of maggots. :ROFLMAO:

Anyway this morning I'm putting some stuff up in the loft for Mrs M and out of the corner I spy a box marked "Odds & Sods", it's been up there since we moved and as It's an old box was probably packed long before we moved anyway. Yep you've guessed, bits and bobs of tackle amongst the other stuff in there.

Exibit 1 your honour, a Daiwa 120M closed face reel, put away in it's pouch in gawd knows when along with a spare spool, but the line might just need replacing..........

Daiwa 120M.JPG
Then a box with a good 100+ floats that for some reason got consigned to the land of the forgotten........................

Drennan Carp Crystal.JPG
Drennan Carp Crystals that probably made way for Pellet Wagglers

Fox Dave Coster Shallow Waggler.JPG
Fox Dave Coster Shallow Water Wagglers

Sundridge Compalite wagglers.JPG
Sundridge Compalite Wagglers

Drennan Zoomer and Ultra Onion.JPG
Drennan Zoomer and an Ultra Onion

Drennan Balsa Antenna and Canal Grey.JPG
Drennan Balsa Antenna and a Drennan Canal Grey

Billy Makin Grey.JPG
Billy Makin Greys
All of the above forgotten about as time has marched on but some of them will definitely be coming out of retirement in the months that lie ahead. :upthumb:
Crickeys Peter if I didn't know better I'd swear you'd been rummaging in my garage, but I then realised it is a 120M and mine is a 125M.

During the first lockdown I stripped down and recommissioned my pair of Daiwa Baitrunner style reels, circa 1988 I guess. They felt really good but seem to have vanished back into the mists of time once again;)

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I recognise a lot of that gear! I'm sure I've still got some of those floats around (needs a rummage) from 30 years ago, am hanging on to my old Drennan stick floats worked wonders for me.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Yes he does, especially an ABU 1044:p:p:p

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I think my one needs some more of that pipe cleaner stuff putting around the spools. Other than that it works fine. Wish it was a bit quicker on the retrieve though. 👍
That's a sign of age mate, the retrieve is fine it's just your wrist that is slowing down.:cry: