trying to identify an early 1990's daiwa multi tip rod

aljolson

in the late 80s I owned a daiwa muti tip or quiver /light feeder rod, it came with 3 tips white yellow and red, think it was 11'6" or around 11' it might have been red or burgundy.

my gear inc this rod was stolen around 1990 - 2 or 3 years either way and it was replaced with a very similar rod again 11'6" ish I think, deffo same colour tips.

this rod was grey/graphite in appearance and was a superb bream rod plus light or even light medium feeder work on rivers and the action was superb. this is the rod I would like to identify. It might have been almost £200 -£175 rings a bell but I its a long time ago and im an old git now.

this rod was stolen around 1996 and replaced with a TEAM DAIWA Multi Quiver TD-SL116AMQ11'6 also written on it TEAM DAIWA - S LEGER MK II
this replacement would have been the nearest thing available or maybe one notch down in terms of quality as the tackle dealer was crafty.
I see loads of the 11/13 combos on ebay but im sure this wasnt a combo.

so any ideas what the rod I got early 90's would have been?

Total

Site Supporter
@aljolson ......Our member @Simon R would probably be the best person to help you out with the details of this rod. (y)

He probably will be be online later and this message will alert him to this post. (y)

aljolson

cheers total, but my first step for info on here I private messaged SimonR and it turns out his daiwa catalogues from 1990 to 1995 are missing so he was unable to help much.
that's why im now asking on here.
ta

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
I think the burgundy one would have been the original Tommy Pickering Connoisseur rod which was superior to the Team Daiwa version that came out later,still sought after and they pop up on E bay fairly often.
All the Daiwa rods of that era came with those coloured tips but then they introduced one with a red and white short whipping which was the best stillwater tip of the lot.

Nicky Dodds

The Matchwinner-S was red/burgundy. The medium/heavy was 12ft and the light was 11ft 6 inches.

aljolson

I think the burgundy one would have been the original Tommy Pickering Connoisseur rod which was superior to the Team Daiwa version that came out later,still sought after and they pop up on E bay fairly often.
All the Daiwa rods of that era came with those coloured tips but then they introduced one with a red and white short whipping which was the best stillwater tip of the lot.
no the burgundy one was a cheapo bought well before connoissuers came out maybe a jaguar?
the one im after i'm sure was the one below or before the amorphous whisker was a dark grey colour

ive found some photos of me using it but you cant tell anything about it

floatfisher

Site Supporter
The Jaguar had a green butt. I've still got a couple I use on the odd occasion. I also have a Tom Pickering 11'4'' three piece rod TPL 114Q which is grey with maroon whippings and is a superb bream rod. Sliding graphite reel fittings and a flattened armlock cork handle. Does that sound like the same as your rod?

Last edited:

aljolson

the flattened handle sounds familiar
ill have a look at the photo now
did it have three tips? red yellow and white? im sure my heavier feeder rod was grey with red whippings but i cant remember either being tom pickering

aljolson

pic shows sliding reel fittings, a joint about 4 inch up from end of cork and no sign or red or maroon whippings, might be trick of the light but looks a hint of gold near the whippings? fancy gold painted circular bits to make it look flash?

floatfisher

Site Supporter
There is gold lettering on the butt section just up from the cork and the whippings are maroon. It just had the red/white fast taper glass tip when I got it second hand. Don't know what tips they came with new I'm afraid.

ROBBO 1949

in the late 80s I owned a daiwa muti tip or quiver /light feeder rod, it came with 3 tips white yellow and red, think it was 11'6" or around 11' it might have been red or burgundy.

my gear inc this rod was stolen around 1990 - 2 or 3 years either way and it was replaced with a very similar rod again 11'6" ish I think, deffo same colour tips.

this rod was grey/graphite in appearance and was a superb bream rod plus light or even light medium feeder work on rivers and the action was superb. this is the rod I would like to identify. It might have been almost £200 -£175 rings a bell but I its a long time ago and im an old git now.

this rod was stolen around 1996 and replaced with a TEAM DAIWA Multi Quiver TD-SL116AMQ11'6 also written on it TEAM DAIWA - S LEGER MK II
this replacement would have been the nearest thing available or maybe one notch down in terms of quality as the tackle dealer was crafty.
I see loads of the 11/13 combos on ebay but im sure this wasnt a combo.

so any ideas what the rod I got early 90's would have been?
Sounds like Daiwa jaguar 10ft multi tip if its burgundy I still have one and going strong ,it does handle better fish

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Sounds like Daiwa jaguar 10ft multi tip if its burgundy I still have one and going strong ,it does handle better fish
True ,has it got thread whipping on the tips,? Mine has ,I also have the jaguar canal wand ,same tips.
Mine are more of a translucent blue/green colour

2ts

Site Supporter
Were Daiwa Jaguar,Cavalier,Lightning and Tornado rods about that era.

ravey

Sounds like the Matchwinner-S. Had Tom Pickering and Amorphous Coil written on it with. Silver & burgundy butt section?